Gibson Brands Forums

120th anniversary standard

David79

I don't know anything about the specific guitar your talking about, but....

Generally the coil tap option is activated by push/pull potentiometers, I would assume you've tried that. If not, try pulling up on the knobs to see if they "click" into another position. The other thing is the pickups need to be "4-wire". You can open up the control cavity and see if your pickups are 2-wire or 4-wire.

That's where I'd start.

Here's the specs for a 2014;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

To my knowledge they should all have push/ pull controls since the 2013 models onwards and also with the push/ pull pure bypass and out of phase on the tone knobs. Have you tried just pushing them? Some Gibson's have push/ push like the LP Traditional Pro II. Maybe they accidentally put them on instead?

Was the guitar bought brand new or second hand? If second hand the original owner may have replaced them with non coil splitting pots.

As others have already said, the Les Paul Standard (2014) should have coil splitting, an out of phase switch, and a bypass switch. I would go to a luthier to have your guitar checked out. If the result of that inspection is disappointing, I would try to get another guitar. Everything that is said to be on a particular guitar, needs to be on the guitar and it needs to function.

• 2 months later...

Archived