Gibson Brands Forums

Lizzy 1976

AndyK

Yeah, it was a black custom with all the gold hardware replaced with chrome, and a white pickguard, and two open coil pups. Would like to know what those pups were. I know he was running it through a superlead 100.

Yeah, it was a black custom with all the gold hardware replaced with chrome, and a white pickguard, and two open coil pups. Would like to know what those pups were. I know he was running it through a superlead 100.

Through many of the Norlin years Les Paul Customs were available with chrome hardware as an option. I think they started it with moving the Les Paul production from Kalamazoo to Nashville in 1975 which also brought the advent of the Nashville Tune-O-Matic, hence the name I guess.

He is often associated with the 1960 Black Beauty because of the hundreds of snaps taken (and used subsequently) on the 'Live and Dangerous' tour, but...

"...in an interview, Robertson explained that his main guitar remains his original Thin Lizzy Sunburst 1973 Les Paul Deluxe, albeit re-fretted (due to wear) and with 1959-vintage PAF humbucker pickups fitted roughly by his guitar technician..."

Anyone who bought 'Jailbreak' when it first appeared will - like me - possibly think of him with this DeLuxe (still with it's mini-hums) rather than the Custom as this was the guitar he was pictured with back then.

Pip.

Yup. As much as I like Gary, I think the Brian/Scotty line-up was THE Lizzy line-up.

Everytime I think of them, I remember the Rainbow Room Concert. The killer opening song Rosalie as the roadies are setting up, fantastic stuff!

Archived