Gibson Brands Forums

Dr. Epiphone introduces the 2015 Epiphone Masterbilt J45

GuitarLight

What I want to see (and I think this goe for many of us) is a Youtube video of the guitar being played and reviewed

Yes I agree. And I would also like to have a much CLOSER look at this satin..matte finished "Sunburst Top" on this guitar...the burst in this video looks beautiful, but it also looks rather dull and hazy from this video with Dr. Epiphone. To me, it just makes the guitar look like it left the factory unfinished.

I normally don't mind a satin finish...but on this beautiful new J-45 painted sunburst top....the satin finish, in my opinion, just does not look complementary, and unfortunately makes this new Masterbilt J-45 look just a bit cheap. Even the economical AJ220S sports a stunning glossy finish and the sharp looking Texan as well!.....In this video, the hazy looking burst top can be seen fairly easily at the angle he holds it, and the shiny pick guard looks nice...while the hazy satin top next to it looks very dull indeed...a bad combination and contrast, and not classy at all IMO....

After all, This is a Masterbilt.......the highest end, best quality Epiphone in the world....Dr. Epiphone...Are you listening?!

When the Masterbilts were introduced in 2004, they all had matte finishes. The gloss models that followed later on coincided with a general downgrade in the materials used; hopefully, the AJ-45 will be a return to form. Judging from what I've seen of the wood used on lesser-priced Epiphones, I'm optimistic that this is so.

I agree, though--while I don't mind the matte finish on the natural topped models, the matte sunburst tops look funny to my mind. I and many others buffed theirs to a semi-gloss.

Red 333

When the Masterbilts were introduced in 2004, they all had matte finishes. The gloss models that followed later on coincided with a general downgrade in the materials used; hopefully, the AJ-45 will be a return to form. Judging from what I've seen of the wood used on lesser-priced Epiphones, I'm optimistic that this is so.

I agree, though--while I don't mind the matte finish on the natural topped models, the matte sunburst tops look funny to my mind. I and many others buffed theirs to a semi-gloss.

Red 333

I have one of the older AJ500's natural matte finish. It is the best SOUNDING guitar I have ever owned, and I got to like that matt, thin finish very easily after playing it a few times. I had several other guitars, including a '60's Gibson Heritage Jumbo, all but one of them now sold...and I just bought a used Masterbilt DR500R yesterday.

I am glad to see them back and I hope they are as good as the older ones.

Archived