Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Ebony Les Paul classic 1960 Reissue

msaint

I have one of these, however, it doesn't say "Made in USA" on the headstock. Why not? Can someone more knowledgeable than me help me out with this one please? I Paid $1500 for it. The serial number is 051683, and has the "1960" on the pick guard. It has all the provenances and Gibson certificates with it. It plays like a dream however, it just doesn't say "Made in USA" on it, and Google doesn't tell me anything.

No LP Classic 1960's have 'made in the USA' on the back of the headstock as they were meant to be based on the original 1960 which never had it either. It was only much later that Gibson began to stamp made in USA on Standards and most other models. Notice yours will not have a stamped serial number either, but will be inked on. Also, the Classic 1960 is not a re issue, it is a model inspired by the originals with some different appointments like more modern ceramic pickups & aged trapezoid inlays. Great guitars though, I've got a 2003 [thumbup]

Not much to add. Cody said it all (and to confirm that it's frowned upon to use the word 're-issue' where 1960 Classics are concerned...lol!).

Only other thing would be to say that as the serial starts 05 yours was made, obviously, in 2005.

And yes, they are usually great guitars.

P.

• 6 months later...

No LP Classic 1960's have 'made in the USA' on the back of the headstock as they were meant to be based on the original 1960 which never had it either. It was only much later that Gibson began to stamp made in USA on Standards and most other models. Notice yours will not have a stamped serial number either, but will be inked on. Also, the Classic 1960 is not a re issue, it is a model inspired by the originals with some different appointments like more modern ceramic pickups & aged trapezoid inlays. Great guitars though, I've got a 2003 [thumbup]

Thanks for replying and thanks for the information too. I just picked up a 1998 LP Classic heritage Burst that weighs 10.01 lbs. in mint condition and I must say that I love this axe. I can't take my eyes off it. I spent two hours on the phone with a Customer Rep at the Gibson Plant in Nashville, and he enlightened me quite a bit and said to hang on to my 1998 because it was the last year of the unchambered models manufactured when QC was at its peak for LP Classics and other Gibson products. I have a couple sets of old Seth lover 1959 PAF pups still in unopened boxes that I was going to sell however, I'm going to install a set in this new baby and sell the other one.

Not much to add. Cody said it all (and to confirm that it's frowned upon to use the word 're-issue' where 1960 Classics are concerned...lol!).

Only other thing would be to say that as the serial starts 05 yours was made, obviously, in 2005.

And yes, they are usually great guitars.

P.

Thanks for replying. As I just told Cody, I just picked up an unchambered (10.01lbs) 1998 Classic LP Heritage Burst in mint, unplayed condition, and I must say I'm in love. I was fortunate enough to get it for $1300 + shipping and handling which totaled to a little over $1400 and naturally, I'm very happy. Damn, I've gotta figure out how to post photos on this site.

Thanks for replying. As I just told Cody, I just picked up an unchambered (10.01lbs) 1998 Classic LP Heritage Burst in mint, unplayed condition, and I must say I'm in love. I was fortunate enough to get it for $1300 + shipping and handling which totaled to a little over $1400 and naturally, I'm very happy. Damn, I've gotta figure out how to post photos on this site.

For posting pics...

go to http://www.photobucket.com upload to there and when that's done click on a picture and post the IMG link it gives you in your post.. Just copy it from photobucket and insert it in the post, don't use the insert media button.

Archived