Gibson Brands Forums

Are my volume knobs reversed?

Bower

On my new 2015 LP Studio, I'm concerned that the volume knobs were installed in wrong slots. I'm hoping someone can help me understand if this is the case. It is also possible the pick-ups are switched or I am misunderstanding what pickup is supposed to selected with the switch. The only certain thing is that I do not know what I am talking about.

This my first Gibson Les Paul so please excuse my uncertainty about the proper volume knob configuration. By the way, I absolutely love this guitar. It plays and sounds like a dream. If it turns out I am correct and the knobs are reversed, I'm not sure I am going to take any action as it is really just an idiosyncratic difference. I just want to know for sure.

So, when I put the pick-up selector switch to the treble position, the volume and tone knobs closest to edge of the guitar have effect. I believe this is the neck pick-up and has the 'twangy' brighter sound of the two selections (please correct me if I am wrong). When I select the rhythm setting the knobs closest to the pick-ups have effect.

So is that how it is supposed to be? Thanks in advance!

Hi Bower, you are correct; this is how it's meant to be on the Les Paul. The lower knobs are for the bridge / treble pickup, the upper knobs are for the neck, or rhythm pickup.

Hi Bower, you are correct; this is how it's meant to be on the Les Paul. The lower knobs are for the bridge / treble pickup, the upper knobs are for the neck, or rhythm pickup.

Thanks, that is helpful information. I think I was confused about the location of the treble and rhythm pickups. The treble switch was selecting the pick-up closest to the bridge, and it was the one producing the brighter sound. I'm glad I cleared that up.

...It is also possible the pick-ups are switched or I am misunderstanding what pickup is supposed to selected with the switch....please excuse my uncertainty about the proper volume knob configuration...If it turns out I am correct and the knobs are reversed, I'm not sure I am going to take any action as it is really just an idiosyncratic difference. I just want to know for sure.

So, when I put the pick-up selector switch to the treble position, the volume and tone knobs closest to edge of the guitar have effect. I believe this is the neck pick-up and has the 'twangy' brighter sound of the two selections (please correct me if I am wrong). When I select the rhythm setting the knobs closest to the pick-ups have effect.

So is that how it is supposed to be? Thanks in advance!

When you select the 'Treble' position the knobs you describe ARE the ones which 'work' but they work on the BRIDGE pickup.

Conversely when 'Rhythm' is selected the NECK pickup is operational.

The knobs are, therefore, not reversed and there is no need for you to change anything.

P.

"So, when I put the pick-up selector switch to the treble position, the volume and tone knobs closest to edge of the guitar have effect. I believe this is the neck pick-up..."

Semi correct mate (lol).

When you push the three way selector switch down to the treble position, this selects the bridge pickup ("...has the 'twangy' brighter sound...'), and is controlled by the vol/treble pots closest to the edge of the guitar.

When you push the three way selector switch up to the rhythm position, this selects the neck pickup (the smooth, creamy sound), and is controlled by the vol/treble pots closest to you on the guitar.

When in both, obviously you get both together.

Archived