Gibson Brands Forums

Drop-in or Long Saddle

duluthdan

Casually looking around at early 50s J-45s and SJs - many i ee have the long saddle thru the bridge, a few have drop-ins??? If I stumbe upon a 52 or 53 with a drop-in saddle, is that a fairly good sign tht the bridge has been replaced?

DD,

My sense is that the transition was '53/'54 for that switch.

My '53 SJ has the saddle-thru type, and all '54s I've seen have the drop-in style saddle:

IMGP1078-1.jpg

This applies to other models that sport that bridge type too, AFAICT.

My own interest includes the J-185, and my approach is that if the guitar is serialed and FON'd as a '51 or '52 and has the shorter, drop-in saddle, it is likely a replacement bridge.

Here's an example of a FON'd '51 sporting a later bridge:

p3_uxgawd2vs_so.jpg

This guitar also has the telltale later pickguard that began in 1953, so that strongly suggests a possible visit to the factory to 'freshen' it up, post-'53.

I work on the idea that some '53s may have either bridge style, but pre-'53s should be saddle-thru while post '53s should be drop in types.

Caveat: But this IS Gibson, so YMMV. [rolleyes]

Hope that helps,

Fred

• 1 month later...

I've been wondering the same thing since I picked p my '51 J-45. The wear patterns indicate that the bridge sporting a drop in saddle has been there for a very long time. A luthier with experience working on vintage instruments agrees and sees nothing to indicate the bridge has ever been replaced or reset. Brad Barr also swears that his '51 J-45 is all original and has a drop in saddle. I tried to post a picture of the bridge but the forum says that I have met my upload limit... bummer. you can kinda see it in my 1951 J-45 post earlier today.

Archived