Gibson Brands Forums

Been a very long while

matiac

For those who remember, hey! For those who don't, I am matiac, formerly Guitarandfeather, and it's probably been about, ooohhhhh, 5-or-so years since I've graced the hallowed halls of the Gibson Lounge, and quite a bit has happened in those 5-or-so years, in quite a few aspects. But first I gotta ask, does Thundergod still hang here? If so, HEY BOSS, WHATSUPWICHU? Anyway, no Gibsons in the stable, BUT, I do retain possession of a really handsome 2005 Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Plus Top in What I'll call Light-Bakky-Burst, and a homemade Les Paul I like to call "Good Homegrown", which is my first attempt at luthiery, and quite frankly, I surprised myself! It plays like butter, and besides my trusty Dremel Kit made by Chicago Tool, and a Japanese Saw, everything was done by hand, and I mean EVERYTHING. Her's a snap of the duo:

Image03272015191844_zpsgdjyexuo.jpg

Good Homegrown needed a peghead logo, so I had a waterslide done that says 'Bulldog' in the familiar Gibson font, and 'AF1' in my own handpainted graphic, as the guitar is dedicated to a friend, no longer with us from another guitar elated forum I also frequent. But all things aside, this first attempt at a build may not have the bling-bling of the Epiphone, actually has a more vintage vibe, as I used high gloss Tung Oil for the final finish, and the results were way more than I expected. Also been kinda gettin' into the whole R.C. Aircraft thing, me and my boy have more planes, helicopters, quads, tghan any 2 people should have, Warbirds, mostly WW2, and they all get flown and crashed regularly. Here's a snap of our Messerschmitt BF109G, one of many...

Misserschmoot%20Spinner_zps1kuwxuoy.jpg

Then besides that, had a motorcycle I rode around for 2 seasons until my back thought better of it, it was a Custom Fatboy I paid 5700.00 for (the tranny was worth more than I paid for the whole bike), sold it this year for 8000.00, and paid bills, here's that...

ACustomHarleyDavidsonwhichhappenstobelongtome_zps09f6fc56.jpg

So yeah, been doing a few things, wanted to see if any of the old guard were still here, went through a bunch of OLD pages here, like 900 or so back in the past, and some names I haven't seen in years...NeoConMan, Oilpit, KS is still here I know, how's everyone been? I'm fine and ducky, and still whammin' away...

Hey matiac. I certainly remember the old GuitarandFeather. I remember the sad day when you sold off your Gibson. Good to see you back with a new name and some new hobbies.

We haven't seen Thundergod in a pretty long time, but there are still quite a few of the old gang still hanging around. Nice job on the "Good Homegrown". Hope you stick around.

Yeah, and I'm gonna miss that bike, BUT, I can always get another, although not anything like that bike, it was a ground-up build with a 1999 1340cc Fatboy as the donor bike. Soft tail frame's aftermarket...Paughco I believe. Really the only thing 'Harley' on it was (95% other 5% was S&S goodies on/in the motor) the motor and wheels, but MAN did that bike love a backroad! And you wouldn't think so with that long wheelbase. But regarding Homegrown, I've already been commisioned to do a Strat (sacrilege I know) build, with a set-neck, and a CBS angled peghead, all do-able, kinda can't wait for the guy to get everything together. Thinking neck-through, with wings for the body, ala Firebird. He really like the work on Homegrown, but didn't want 'another Les Paul knock-off, so we'' see what he comes up with...anyway, pics as requested...

Les%20Paul%20Build_zpsymlpyzq9.jpg

This is how it sat in an Epiphone box for almost 3 years...

Here's the peghead, with the 'Bulldog' logo, and hand painted AF1, done with common silver model paint...I'm still amazed how well it turned, because I had my doubts through the entire project...'first-time-jitters' perhaps, anyway, here's the peghead after waterslide application...

Peghead%20Logo_zpsvzzpdvzv.jpg

And here's the guitar about 2 minutes after completion...

Done%20Deal_zpsrkev4fm9.jpg

It's got a custom engraved Truss Rod Cover that literally says, 'CUSTOM ENGRAVED TRUSS ROD COVER'...

The figure looks much better in person...

Bulldog%20Lester_zpsfjvp93bm.jpg

I AM kinda chompin' at the bit to start sketches for this Strat, if it ever happens...

Hm, I don't recall, if I did, and I must have, if you're relating it, then I AM sorry, don't know why I would though, anyone who knows me says I'm a 'get-along' guy, out of character for me, never really considered myself a keyboard creep, but if nothing else, at least I'm man enough to own it, although I seriously don't recall, and normally I would remember something like that, but, I ain't getting any younger, so I could have, I seriously don't remember, but again, I am sorry, I don't go out of my way to offend anyone, except my upstairs neighbor, but that's another story for another time. Uhm...yeah, well, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so I guess I'll be going? Sorry again...???

I'll take the apology.... I was surprised as well, because you were pretty cool with me up until those rash statements... I thought someone hacked your account..... But you weren't the only one during that time....

Dude I don't even remember what happened, except there was this huge exodus to MLP, but someone over there brought up all these old monikers, and a wave of nostalgia hit me like a brick, and I came back here, usually over there in the Epiphone thing, but it's been pretty slow, so I came here to see if any of the old guard were left, and to my surprise, there actually were still a few here, always see Jesse on Facebook, still pretty much in touch with him, and he's come a pretty long way since my days over here. But again, sorry if I offended, and nice 'Bird you have there, I was looking at that Bob Dylan J200 they have now, and if not for the prohibitive cost, I wouldn't mind owning one, anyway, peace-in-the-valley?

Thanks..... There are still plenty of the old guard here...... The fighting and name calling has pretty much subsided.... Just the occasional flare ups in the Acoustic forum...lol.... The lounges are now lounging areas rather than boxing rings these days,,,lol

That I DO remember, with the usual suspects, the 'fireststarters', I usually just read...didn't really wanna get involved in someone else's gripe that generally had nothing to do with me, all I ever wanna do is wham away on my gear, and relate the experience, kinda like this whole build thing I did, first attempt at anything remotely similar, guess the little bit of cabinetry under my belt came in handy, and it really surprised me how it turned out...a week later, and the neck hasn't budged...and I expected it to bow at least a little bit...did my first set-up ever, usually just let my guy downtown handle that, but now that I know how easy it is, don't know why I paid to have it done all those times. Electronics too, 'course before the R.C. thing my soldering skills left a lot to be desired, but having to fix and build that stuff got those chops up to snuff enough to where I did the harness on both the kit, and the Epiphone, and they both work, so I musta done something right...just wish I had something smaller than 160 watt for an iron, but you gotta make due with what you got...

Welp, did my first recording tonight in quite a long while, and used the Bulldog for solos and fills, and the Epiphone for the melody riff. After listening to it that kinda sounds like "Enter Sandman", and it was unintentional...sounds pretty good recorded, although really bright tone for a Les Paul...it's over at my Soundclick page if you care to take a listen...

Hey Hombre, what's shakin'? Ain't seen or heard from you in a , well, a 'very long while'. Been a lotta water under the bridge, and in my usual manner, my lack of the ability to hold onto a guitar more than a year. Maybe that's why I made Homegrown, I know I'll never get what I got in it...but anyway, good to be back, got a ton of different ideas to expand my musical realm...

if by old guard you would mean ppl who've been around since about 2011, 2012, yea I'm still here!

Wasn't Thundergod the guy who changed to his handle Donny Cravin, then,,for some reason that I have no clue on, started something up, got him self tossed out of the club? I liked some of his posts, he always had a lot of interesting stuff.

Ahoy there, been quite a long while for me here, I usually pop in over at Epiphone...he changed his handle...don't recall that, that musta been after I took a hike, and I saw him briefly at MLP, then not a peep. Even today I still like what he did to the Special II he played out with...white, if memory serves. Been a ton 'o water under the 'ol bridge, not to mention guitars, I have the 2 Les Pauls currently, and my kid just surrendered a Johnson Starcaster copy that I managed to get going again, got real high action though, maybe use it for slide, it's got a really nice Fender-like tone on all settings, just gotta fix a short in the selector switch, and she's gtg! I dunno about green though...hm...

Archived