Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for Pick guard for '15 SG Special

doublescale1

I have a new '15 SG Special and would like to get a pick guard for it - a black one. The 2015 SG Specials are 24 fret guitars so there is no space between the top of the neck pickup and the fretboard. I've not seen any pick guards that fit the 24 fret SG on eBay. Any suggestions on where to look? I want to change out the semi-weird (to me anyway) "coffee with a little cream" colored pickup rings and the selector switch to black as well, a pick guard would complete the cosmetic change. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a new '15 SG Special and would like to get a pick guard for it - a black one. The 2015 SG Specials are 24 fret guitars so there is no space between the top of the neck pickup and the fretboard. I've not seen any pick guards that fit the 24 fret SG on eBay. Any suggestions on where to look? I want to change out the semi-weird (to me anyway) "coffee with a little cream" colored pickup rings and the selector switch to black as well, a pick guard would complete the cosmetic change. Thanks in advance for any help.

The piece above the neck pickup on a 22 fret SG (tenon cover) is a separate piece from the pickguard. I would think that a standard pickguard would fit just fine.

IMG_1303_zps2b4gin18.jpg

Your SG has 24 frets and there is not a pickguard out there that's going to fit your guitar. I have the same 2015 SG Special in a burst that I wanted to make into a JR. I bought a guard made for a 90's SGX. Itfits well but the wider neck requires you to widen the fret board opening in the guard just a bit.

8511E2C2-F09D-4B36-BEAC-23E0CD23A39D_zps5kxcgrk0.jpg

It looks like the extra 2 frets are over where the tenon cover would be on a standard. Unless the pickups are spaced differently, I still would think you can fit a standard "half-batwing" like mine has. The other option would be custom made. There are a number of places that will make them for you if you send a cardboard template of what you want. I got mine from www.pickguardian.com. The guy was really helpful and I highly recommend him.

Howdy StRanger!

Been there, did this ... with a 24 fret SGJ. First measure your present ring-to-ring distance to make sure the pg you buy is long enough. Next, mount your pickups and new rings. Finally, trim your new pg to size.

Cautions: Make sure the rings "settle" where they should be, they can "kink" out of position ... after set in place, they can be loosened and moved maybe 1mm to fit tight against the pg. Also, be careful trimming the pg, it's pretty easy to slip and gouge it. I measured and then marked the cut line with a box-cutter, then "chipped" little pieces out until I got to my line. For the corner edge, I used a small rat file. If you take your time, it will look like an OEM part. Finally, make sure the pg is positioned with the horn bevel lines ... aesthetics are everything!! [cool]

My rings and pg were Montreux Time Machine parts, not sure how available they are to you.

Good luck! [-o<

8644312865_a81be4f216_b.jpg

8644313201_db2a5e0092_b.jpg

Pickguardian.com has what you need. Fits perfect (no fitting) and you can choose any color and or plys that he has avaiable. I would post a picture of mine on a '15 SG Special but this awfull site keeps telling me the file is too big. Make sure you contact the site owner by email, you won't be able just to order the PG.

• 3 weeks later...

I drew one up in AutoCAD when I was thinking of having a custom one cut. I would be happy to send you the PDF. Its scaled 1=1. You can print it out and cut it out and lay it on the guitar to make sure it fits. Then go to pickguardian or something like that and have them cut it for you.

• 11 months later...

I drew one up in AutoCAD when I was thinking of having a custom one cut. I would be happy to send you the PDF. Its scaled 1=1. You can print it out and cut it out and lay it on the guitar to make sure it fits. Then go to pickguardian or something like that and have them cut it for you.

Hi Greg,

I've been searching for a pickguard for my 2015 SG Special since I bought it a few months ago.

I'm in Australia near Byron Bay (Home of the Bluesfest). I'd appreciate if you can send me the pdf of the 1:1 scale so I can either try and get one made or modify another 24 fret SG pickguard.

Thanks

Tony (T-Bone)

I'd appreciate if you can send me the pdf of the 1:1 scale so I can either try and get one made or modify another 24 fret SG pickguard.

You can order the raw material in various colors and multi ply from various places. I don't know how it is where you are but I imagine not much different. But the pdf will save you some time. Ordering them is plausible also but then you have to mess with fitting anyway and the holes can be avoided if your choose to by cutting your own.

Just some things to think about. Also I didn't try but the acoustic replacement guards already cut might be usable "if" they are big enough. You can also use real wood also from craft shop etc. Double sided tape can be used instead of drilling also.

I did something similar as charisjapan but never put the guard on as I really don't want to drill. But the PG needed a bunch of retro fitting also. So anyway just some things to thing about. Not that I think the holes make much of a difference but just saying that can be avoided also.

Good luck

Archived