Gibson Brands Forums

interesting live acoustic duet with Epiphone Masterbilt and a Martin...

old mark

It is an interesting demonstration of how hateful mic'n up a pair of acoustics can be. The Epi is much clankier than the Martin, which is good if you like clanky. And yes, the mic in front of the Epi sure does have some volume, which is also part of the clankiness.

rct

The Epi has some VOLUME to it!

They certainly wail away. I notice the AJ isn't exactly a form-fit on that guy's lap. AJs are certainly jumbo guitars. I noticed the same thing with my recently acquired AJ500RC 12-fret. Big guitar! Big, sweet tone!

It is an interesting demonstration of how hateful mic'n up a pair of acoustics can be. The Epi is much clankier than the Martin, which is good if you like clanky. And yes, the mic in front of the Epi sure does have some volume, which is also part of the clankiness.

rct

It is an interesting demonstration of how hateful mic'n up a pair of acoustics can be. The Martin is much more rumbly than the sweet crystal clear Epi, which is good if you like mumbly noise. And yes, the mic in front of the Martin sure does have some volume, which is also part of the mumbliness.

It's also interesting how some people feel the need to enter the Epiphone room, and then run down Epiphone just because they have dished out thousands on a mumbly guitar.

GL

It is an interesting demonstration of how hateful mic'n up a pair of acoustics can be. The Martin is much more rumbly than the sweet crystal clear Epi, which is good if you like mumbly noise. And yes, the mic in front of the Martin sure does have some volume, which is also part of the mumbliness.

It's also interesting how some people feel the need to enter the Epiphone room, and then run down Epiphone just because they have dished out thousands on a mumbly guitar.

GL

It's also interesting how some people feel the need to be so defensive all the time.

Do you know how many Epiphones or Martins I use? How many of each I've recorded? How many PAs I've set up for acoustic gigs?

rct

Ok, so let's go back to the beginning.

You can't post a video, no matter how great the recording, on this here innernetz, and listen to it through yer Dell Stank O Phonic laptop speakers and make any sort of determination as to the fitness for duty of any two guitars. Ever. That was the spirit, to me, in which that video was posted.

On a bad day I could have at least tried to get a better recording of the two guitars. I don't think that recording was meant in any way to be a compare and contrast exercise, I think the two guys were panned somewhat to their sides and we were being treated to an overly clanky seat in front of the bin(s) on the Epiphone side, or that the guy sporting the Epiphone was the "lead" instrument and they were mixed accordingly.

And I own and use and record BOTH. Well, I don't have an Epiphone acoustic at the moment but I have.

If I appeaer combative I apologize. I am realistic, and nothing else is meant by it.

rct

RTC has a point anyway always hard to make any comparison that way . I can't play my acoustics resting the curve on my leg or what every that part is called . The in between the bout spot lol I have have set the lower bout on my right leg .

So RTC any recorded stuff I can hear ? Always love to hear new stuff 😃

RTC has a point anyway always hard to make any comparison that way . I can't play my acoustics resting the curve on my leg or what every that part is called . The in between the bout spot lol I have have set the lower bout on my right leg .

So RTC any recorded stuff I can hear ? Always love to hear new stuff 😃

No, nothing freely available, no youtubes or anything like that. Some records and tapes from long ago, some of our self produced records we did in the last band. My own things are moving along and I hope to have this totally self made record done this year, that'll go up in iTunes prolly.

rct

I posted the original as an interesting observation on the difference in the sound of the 2 guitars. I know is is poor quality sound, and that the mic affects the relative volumes. I did not expect a fight or even a "I know it all" critique.

rtt, go **** in your hat.

I posted the original as an interesting observation on the difference in the sound of the 2 guitars. I know is is poor quality sound, and that the mic affects the relative volumes. I did not expect a fight or even a "I know it all" critique.

rtt, go **** in your hat.

Did you miss rct's last post? Let's not get all misinterpretative here.

GL

Excellent post, GL! I have an Epiphone Masterbilt DRMCE500, and I sure love the sound I get unplugged, I just know it will SING with the right acoustic amp or PA. I also have an Epiphone ES-335 Limited PRO in Iced Tea which I think is a very nice guitar for the price. Why do people have to be brand snobs anyway? If you have a $3,000 dollar guitar and can't play worth a damn. you're wasting your money anyway.

Just found this a few minutes ago...

Interesting to compare and contrast the 2 guitars...

The Epi has some VOLUME to it!

I'm coming in late to the party...but I do think that to put an acoustic demonstration of "stereo" on a "mono" site is really not about to prove anything.Opinions are just that and maybe they should be viewed in that light Peace,love Bobby Sherman,etc.

Archived