Gibson Brands Forums

Van Halens Total Embarrassment...

Searcy

To me, I think Van Halen and Van Hagar are two totally different bands. I MUCH prefer Van Halen with Diamond Dave.

At the time, I thought it was over for me and them, because frankly, they weren't the same band. And if you judge based on what they WERE, they did loose a lot of that.

Said that to say, it's true Van Hagar has put out some REALLY great stuff, and you have to forget the former to appreciate the later.

Here is what really blows my mind: Hagar has really beat the odds. When it comes to pure Rock and Roll, no WAY should a vocalist be able to rock like he does at his age. What he does now, and how much he rocks, that's a high standard for any band, any age, and any era. And to think before Van Hagar, I thought he was more of a joke.

Obviously, my opinion is not what it once was.

And just as much, Micheal Anthony. When I see what he brings in other bands, and see Van Halen now, it's clear he never got the credit he deserves.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I couldn't pay to watch that. I'm a big VH fan since day one. Was happy when Sammy took Dave's spot as I was a fan of Montrose and the Red Rocker since the early days too. To me, Sammy was the perfect voice for where VH was going.

I would be willing to bet that the tour doesn't make it past about a dozen performances.

Finally, I don't think that gash on Dave's nose was any accident. I think the Microphone was pissed off and trying to take him out!

This pretty much says it for me. I'm not Van Halen or Dave hater. I love them. I love Dave. I love Sammy. I saw VH on the Diver Down, 5150 and OU812 tours. I saw DLR band on the Eat um and Smile tour. I've played some live shows and done some recording both as a player and a singer. I get that the live show isn't going to sound like a record. I'll allow for some missed timing ques and some flat notes for a 60 year old rock singer....

But that sucked! Ed and Alex and Wolfie sounded OK. Eddie looks clean and sober and in good form over all. Dave wasn't even trying. Frankly it was sort of creepy. Not even trying to sing. I get Dave being Dave. I love Dave. But there comes a time when you need to hand it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz6HQXhUy9A

So easy for some to criticize, especially those that don't have any musical pedigree of their own to hang a hat on...lol

Van Halen is a party band plain and simple.... But those of you that are actually a vocalist and do serious studio work, maybe listen to songs like Jamies Crying, Push Comes to Shove and Women in Love and actually listen to DLR's studio performance.... His phrasing and ability to sing on pitch is pretty remarkable.

Bingo. It was live, there are a million reasons DLR could have been off. His work on "A Different Kind Of Truth" was fine.

And that song has some very weird timing anyhow.

And Wolfie is a far better musician than Michael Anthony.

I'm glad Eddie is alive, and they are still playing and recording and will take an old DLR over Sammy anyday.

Hello!

The injury:

At this take, He didn't seem to sing that bad. Maybe, because of the pain He couldn't focus, anymore? :-k

Cheers... Bence

if the guy broke his nose or nailed himself really good, yea,, the show must go on,, so I'll have to give him a pass. I wasn't thinking about that till after I went scorched earth on him.

if the guy broke his nose or nailed himself really good, yea,, the show must go on,, so I'll have to give him a pass. I wasn't thinking about that till after I went scorched earth on him.

Yep.

Rub some dirt on it......

The injury:

<video snip>

At this take, He didn't seem to sing that bad. Maybe, because of the pain He couldn't focus, anymore? :-k

Cheers... Bence

Hey Bence, where'd you snag that? You have convinced me. A few comments back I wrote: "I'll give this much - perhaps the boink on the nose caused some kind of problem for him." Looks like that's what happened. His voice sounded more or less on key before the boink. While the televised version had Dave way off, I now think it was the boink. So I edited my previous comments with props to Dave bandaging up and continuing.

I've said many times that Roth is past it and useless. I posted on YouTube about it and got shot down. I can't believe that people love them just because they're Van Diesel. Or is it Hell'on? Sammy Hagar was a thousand times better than Roth. It's time they retired.

..... I'll allow for some missed timing ques and some flat notes for a 60 year old rock singer....

......But that sucked! Dave wasn't even trying. Frankly it was sort of creepy. Not even trying to sing. I get Dave being Dave. I love Dave. But there comes a time when you need to hand it up.

That's the thing for me, too.

I get live is live, that's part of it. Yada yada. But one thing about live, perfect or imperfect, is the EFFORT. Giving a good show is about giving your best, and live means your best at that given moment.

I think, my opinion, that's why often, "being there" often leaves the impression that the show you just seen was somehow the best performance or music they could do. Tape doesn't get that across.

I am just confused by the whole thing, because while I pretty much agree with everybody, what I see in these vids is not really circumstance or adversity or the usual pitfalls of "live" (on tape), but just bad singing, bad performance, and lack of effort.

Hello!

The injury:

Cheers... Bence

Hey Bence, where'd you snag that? You have convinced me. A few comments back I wrote: "I'll give this much - perhaps the boink on the nose caused some kind of problem for him." Looks like that's what happened. His voice sounded more or less on key before the boink. While the televised version had Dave way off, I now think it was the boink. So I edited my previous comments with props to Dave bandaging up and continuing.

A good bop in the nose could explains some things, but not all.

More feasible to me would be if he got hit in the head.

So easy for some to criticize, especially those that don't have any musical pedigree of their own to hang a hat on...lol

Van Halen is a party band plain and simple.... But those of you that are actually a vocalist and do serious studio work, maybe listen to songs like Jamies Crying, Push Comes to Shove and Women in Love and actually listen to DLR's studio performance.... His phrasing and ability to sing on pitch is pretty remarkable.

Agree here,,Eddie is always on,,as was the rest of the band { Dave was a bit rusty},,,although had it been me,,I would have insisted on a few more practice nights before a national viewing such as this. Key word: "Practice" and tighten up the vocals just a bit would have made a big difference for the live performance. But as you state,,they are the ultimate party band. I still enjoyed watching just the same.

I saw VH a couple years ago on their tour with Kool & the Gang. If I remember correctly I paid $160 or so for an pretty average floor seat (probably 20 or so rows back) and VH was the most boring live performance I've ever seen. The stage was HUGE, all black, and all they had was a big video board. DLR was mediocre at best, Wolfgang didn't move around at all (I mean look at the guy, he's freaking huge), and Eddie and Alex were great. To be honest I had a better time watching Kool & the Gang than I did watching VH. VH either needs to really step it up or give it up already because all thy're doing now is making themselves look like a bunch of fools.

Last time I saw Roth was the 1984 tour in, well, 1984. They haven't changed one bit. Phenominal drummer, great singing bass player, awesome guitar player jacking it off right there in front of all of us, and that brick out front. He sucked then and still does. They are in danger of killing their history if they haven't already. Hagar must be wetting himself laughing by now.

rct

As someone that also saw the "vintage" Van Halen, that was pretty much my thoughts. Except I didn't think Roth was a brick. He's always done a lot on improv live. Both in lyrics and antics. You never knew what he might do or say during a song.

IMO the principal differences are:

A. I'm not stoned watching this.

B. Roth looks like dork. We thought he was cool back then. But he can't pull it off anymore.

Beyond that I thought the music was pretty much the same.

Lots of opinions here and very few of which I disagree with but... one thing I haven't seen mentioned is THAT VENUE SUCKS. Too much concrete and glass.

It must be a nightmare for singers. Even Ann Wilson had a bit of trouble there. The best thing about seeing a concert at that place is you can say, "I saw that concert there!"

Sorry, the Van Hagar era does not make up for how bad DLR is now. Hagar can sing like a mad man, but Van Halen's sound and style got way too polished and just frat guy tasteless during that era.

Archived