Gibson Brands Forums

Beyond all hope J50

jannusguy2

This is one of those cases where it's NOT worth "restoring" but could make a really cool guitar anyway. So maybe I want a J50 painted Ocean Turquoise to match my '57 or maybe metallic gold with dual Hummingbird guards? Rick Nielsen checkerboard? Black and white with a Bettie Page decal in devil horns and fishnets?

A person needs to ask themselves, "If I could go absolutely batsh*t on an old Gibson, what would I do?" And then dare myself to do it.

Blank slate. Absolute blank slate.

I just about spit coffee all over when I saw the picture showing the braces.

"Yea, it still has the origonal bracing. Let me bag them up for you".

Good thing it doesn't have a headstock repair. It would only be worth half as much.

I think we should all chip in to make sure ksdaddy buys it, just to see how it turns out! I agree with him, not economically salvageable but could be a great project platform for the right person.

Those holes in the top - any ideas? Some crazy Klien style splayed out string anchor points? Between those and the teardrop shapes it looks like it's smiling and crying at the same time, much as many who view the auction may be...

So NOW i know how a Gibson beater looks like ...

No, you can't beat on this guitar.

A guitar for a beater should at least have bracing. At least. It's kinda an issue.

You have to be REAL careful with this one.

Does it come with a case?

This is one of those cases where it's NOT worth "restoring" but could make a really cool guitar anyway. So maybe I want a J50 painted Ocean Turquoise to match my '57 or maybe metallic gold with dual Hummingbird guards? Rick Nielsen checkerboard? Black and white with a Bettie Page decal in devil horns and fishnets?

A person needs to ask themselves, "If I could go absolutely batsh*t on an old Gibson, what would I do?" And then dare myself to do it.

Blank slate. Absolute blank slate.

I like your style

Archived