Gibson Brands Forums

EL-00 Pro

Dodger11

Been thinking of getting one of these - anyone any experience of this guitar?

Think I can get it from Thomann for around £180 (£50 less than local stores) and have played a few and none sounded the same. I've been looking for a smaller guitar (I realise the Epi has a big lower bout) and the fact that it now has a pickup is a bonus...

I have an acoustic EL00 for about a year or so. It can be VERY loud if you hit it harder and it has a neck feel and scale more like an electric than an acoustic. I do like mine a lot, and with the right strings - your choice - I don't think you can beat them unless you want to double the price. I know someone from another site who plays professionally and uses an EL00 and loves it. He DID clean up the fret ends and set it up the way he likes it, but I do the same to all of mine.

I use light gauge strings and play mostly blues on mine, and it is near perfect for that.

Very nice guitars!

I compared three in the same day & found one that really stood out tonally.

This particular instrument also has clean fretwork & comfortable playability.

Imho, the EL-00 Pro has the potential to be one of the best buys on the market, but they can vary significantly from sample to sample (as with most acoustics!).

The EL-00 Pro is a very nice, very well built and solid little guitar. Apart from the obvious differences, I expect it would be a lot like your EJ160E.

All is relative! It won't sound as good acoustically as an all-solid-wood Masterbilt, but if it was the only guitar I had, I'd think it was downright fantastic. It's great fun plugged in in any case.

I have one, along with a bunch of Gibson acoustics. The EL00 holds it own with any one th albeit it is a smaller bodied guitar. It has a great neck, vibe, sunburst, and sound (for a smaller bodied guitar). If I play my 1965 Ladder braced Gibson LG1 (aged for 50 years), it has a very similar feel and sound to it as the EL00 Pro (which is X braced but nearly 50 years younger. I did put a bone saddle in mine (from the factory its an imitation bone (tusk or new bone or ?). I also slightly raised the action on mine with the bone saddle to give mine a little more volume. I use 12's or 12.5's on mine to also help its punch and volume. Great guitar! I've gigged with it and it is fine. Volume wise I have brought it to jams and it holds its own with its volume and different EQ than surrounding dreadnaughts or jumbos.

My only drawback is the factory installed pickup. It's functional and sounds okay, but if I use the EL00 for a gig, I use a Fishman Soundhole Humbucker pickup rather than the factory Fishman piezo. Piezo's are a matter of taste and playing style. I do a lot of comping by resting my right hand on the saddle and it's not compatible with the quarkiness of the under saddle piezo. That may not be the experience of others' style of playing.

If you go to YouTube and type in "Jazzman Jeff" in the search, look for Jazzman Jeff's Jacob's Ladder EP. It's 4 instrumental songs all played on my EL00 acoustically. You'll hear how the guitar carries its weight in an acceptable way like a high end smaller bodied guitar.

I will say, though, that when I recently tried a Martin 00 for about 5-8 times the price, I found both the EL00 and the Martin 00 (in sunburst) to be equals but different in some ways,, with the Martin beating it by its tonal depth. But, I was really comparing a tasty Apple and a tasty Orange as with any Gibson/Martin comparison.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff.

• 3 months later...

I am on the hunt for a small body acoustic for home use, blues and folk finger style guitar. I have it narrowed down to Epiphone EL00 Pro, which is where I start because of my love for Epiphones, plus two others. I can't help but notice the Loar LH-215 and the Morgan Monroe Blues 32. My budget is $400 and I can stretch to $450, but no further. I would like a case within that price, but a decent gig bag isn't a deal breaker. I saw this thread and appreciated reading it. Your thoughts would be truly appreciated. Dan

Thanks for that, Mark. I was thinking that, but you confirmed. These are hard to find new right now; there are some referbs and a few used out there, but they are rare! I like the Morgan Monroe Blues 32... a bit longer scale. Thanks for your input. Dan

Thanks for that, Mark. I was thinking that, but you confirmed. These are hard to find new right now; there are some referbs and a few used out there, but they are rare! I like the Morgan Monroe Blues 32... a bit longer scale. Thanks for your input. Dan

I've had both the Epi and the Morgan Monroe, and enjoyed both of them. The MM has a modified V neck that is hands down the most comfortable neck that I have ever played, plus the burst finish was excellent. It sounded a little more tight (boxy) than the Epi, but had great tone and sustain.

I just recently sold it to calm some GAS that I had. Plus, it comes with a cool fake alligator case !

Mel

I've had both the Epi and the Morgan Monroe, and enjoyed both of them. The MM has a modified V neck that is hands down the most comfortable neck that I have ever played, plus the burst finish was excellent. It sounded a little more tight (boxy) than the Epi, but had great tone and sustain.

I just recently sold it to calm some GAS that I had. Plus, it comes with a cool fake alligator case !

Mel

Hi Mel, I just completed the order on the Morgan Monroe Blues 32 with the modified V you described. I am so glad to hear that it is comfortable. I have big hands, and I think this will suit me better. I couldn't locate a brand new EL-00. They are due in September, but I think this will work out to be the best thing for me. Thanks again!

I am on the hunt for a small body acoustic for home use, blues and folk finger style guitar.

So do you need the electronics? How small of a body?

I was going to suggest a used Masterbilt all-solid-body EF500MNS (or RNS or RANS or RAVS), which is a 000, a bit bigger than a 00, but there are NONE on ebay, not even in completed listings, so I guess they rarely become available (especially the abalone-decked latter two, which would probably go over your budget).

Oh, I somehow missed the last 3 posts and see you got the Morgan Monroe. I guess that settles that. :) I hope it works out for you. Keep on pickin'!

So do you need the electronics? How small of a body?

I was going to suggest a used Masterbilt all-solid-body EF500MNS (or RNS or RANS or RAVS), which is a 000, a bit bigger than a 00, but there are NONE on ebay, not even in completed listings, so I guess they rarely become available (especially the abalone-decked latter two, which would probably go over your budget).

Oh, I somehow missed the last 3 posts and see you got the Morgan Monroe. I guess that settles that. :) I hope it works out for you. Keep on pickin'!

Hey Cougar! Thanks for the suggestions, and then the congrats. I do enjoy my Taylor 414ce -- 000 of sorts-- my wife laughs at me for the GAS and the way I keep on pursuing my instruments. I guess I could say that I have a lot of restraint compared to some, but I still have such a variety of instruments. What a blessing... I hope you have a great weekend.

Thanks Cougar. I have been hankering for one of these 1930's L-00 guitars-- not a replica, but inspired by those special guitars. I fancy myself sitting on the porch with my hat out for donations playing finger-style blues... :)

blues325.jpg

hollowdan I picked up a used Morgan Monroe Blues 32 a few months ago,

to easy my gas for a smaller bodied guitar ( all others are dreads )

I like the tuners, bone nut and saddle, neck profile

When I changed strings I found a shim under the saddle, check yours.

I also changed the pickguard to a firestripepickguards.com L-00 type

Haven't taken photos yet, it's my kitchen guitar now

Hi Philphish, I appreciate the report on your Morgan Monroe Blues 32! So great to hear since I haven't had the chance to touch base with another owner. I will check for the shim. Thanks for the tip. My guitar is literally on the truck as we speak. I wanted to get the EL-00 Pro, but they were months behind due to popularity. I started investigating and I think this neck profile will fit my large hand better and I get the impression that the overall performance and playability may actually be equal or better. I will report back. I would like to see your pickguard. Thanks for the post!

hollowdan I picked up a used Morgan Monroe Blues 32 a few months ago,

to easy my gas for a smaller bodied guitar ( all others are dreads )

I like the tuners, bone nut and saddle, neck profile

When I changed strings I found a shim under the saddle, check yours.

I also changed the pickguard to a firestripepickguards.com L-00 type

Haven't taken photos yet, it's my kitchen guitar now

Philphish, You were correct-- the saddle had a thin shim strip under it and I removed it. I am holding on to it since I may go to a lighter gauge string and want the same good performance. This is a nice guitar. It came from Virginia and brought much humidity with it in the case and box, so it is acclimating as we speak. I admit unpacking it right away, though. I inspected it carefully. I will be getting a nice set up and have the fret edges smoothed a bit as well, but it can wait. I am going to play it tomorrow in church-- with a soundhole pickup, for both rhythm and slide. It sounds amazing for the price. It is incredible really and I am used to USA makers-- my other acoustics are Martin, Guild, National, and Taylor. I can't put this great guitar down. The open back, butterbean Grover stay-tite tuners are very effective. I am breaking it in tomorrow, but it is intended for the front porch, travel, etc.

Question: Mine came with D'addario EXP strings. What gauge do you think they come with standard?

hallowdan good to hear you like the blues 32

I put martin lifespan lites 80/20 on mine, going to try pb's next

Bang for the buck the MM seamed the way to go for me, I'd still like to try an EL-00

I live in the Washington DC area Virginia and it's very humid in the summer

Tried a Loar LO-16? Sweet little blues box based on the L-00.

I did find that to be very tempting, and particularly liked the black with the white pickguard. In the end, with the EL00-Pro's still backordered I bought the Morgan Monroe Blues 32 and it turned out to be quite nice for the money. $399 with the matching alligator case and a hygrometor inside. The guitar has some sweet tone and the tuners are Grover open gear, just like the ones on a Martin D15 I own. They are very effective in holding pitch. This is my daily guitar to pick up and leave out. The size makes it very comfortable for carrying around and sitting on the couch, porch, etc. Thanks, my friend!

hallowdan good to hear you like the blues 32

I put martin lifespan lites 80/20 on mine, going to try pb's next

Bang for the buck the MM seamed the way to go for me, I'd still like to try an EL-00

I live in the Washington DC area Virginia and it's very humid in the summer

Hi Philfish, As you can see above, there are so many things to like. I must say, that EL-00 does look to have a great fit and finish quality about it. That's Epiphone-- a well built and sounding guitar and very consistent. Wish I could have found a new one. The humidity is tough on guitars. I hope you are able to get to the fall in one piece. Take care, friend! [thumbup]

Archived