Gibson Brands Forums

My first guitar was a Silvertone from Sears & Roebuck

4Hayden

Yeah, Searcy is no slouch.

I have a 1448 too and they are fun guitars. Great for slide. I need to redo the bridge on mine because I would love to have it available to take to living room jam sessions or just as another guitar to use when recording.

I never played one, but one of the guitar guys in my first "dance band" did have one with the amp case, etc., the 62-63 school year.

For what it's worth, I don't remember a thing about it but the basic looks (were some a single cutaway?) and that we had great fun working together as a band.

m

My first acoustic was a Sears/Silvertone. $39.00 top of the line. It came with an advertised 'strap' which turned out to be a strand of thin yellow rope braided around a strand of thin red rope.

I played that thing until the fingerboard turned red with my blood stains. That's no exaggeration.

About a year after that I scored my first used electric, very similar to yours but branded as a Danelectro with a single cutaway and a single lipstick style pickup. It had some sort of textured bumpy masking tape wrapped around the sides of the body.

I didn't have a dedicated amp yet, so I would plug it directly into an old Wollensack reel to reel recorder which was hooked up to my old stereo and crank it through that.

Rather than dial and needle based VUs, this thing had a single round orange light that would get brighter that louder the input. Anybody remember those?

My personal goal was to light it up to its brightest orange and then leave it there.

Ahhhh, youth...

Nice video Clint! I just picked up a new Danelectro MJ59 in black sparkle flake last Friday. I love old Danelectro Silvertone guitars. They are easy to play and they have a great unique tone.

Archived