Gibson Brands Forums

NPD... New Pickup Day

Bryan Sutherland

I've been debating for a while about a set of humbucker-size P90's for my Bonamassa Studio, and pulled the trigger on a set of these Porter H90's. I had the SD Bonamassa Custom Shop humbuckers in the guitar, and I really liked them, but it sounded too much like my Traditional (which has a set of SD Slash pickups in it). And the Trad sounds just the way I want it to sound. So under the knife she went...

I just had them installed... they look cool, and (from the few minutes I had to noodle around on the guitar) sound awesome!!! Can't wait to play around with it some more. Here are a few pics.

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

looks good! i recently got a pair of P-Rails with the triple shot mounting rings. did you consider those at all? they would yeild more versatility.

I did look at them but to be quite honest, I wanted pure P90 tone, and thus far I have no complaints. It's a very nice compliment to my other LP, which has some nice Alnico 2 humbuckers.

Nice. I just got Gibson P-94's for my SG Special. Next time I change strings they are going in. It has 490's in it and they sound good, but I also have 490's in my BB King which sound amazing.

Yeah, I feel ya... I had two very similar sounding Les Pauls, now they are both unique, and they both sound awesome. Hope the P94's work out!

Nice.

I just had the SD Slash Pro 2 Pickups added to my Custom LP and man what a different a pickup makes. The neck PU is just killing me with tone I never thought was possible. Not a rock dude, but the blues never sound so rich. I'm guessing I'm late to the party finding this out now.

Jazz,

Nice.

I just had the SD Slash Pro 2 Pickups added to my Custom LP and man what a different a pickup makes. The neck PU is just killing me with tone I never thought was possible. Not a rock dude, but the blues never sound so rich. I'm guessing I'm late to the party finding this out now.

Jazz,

I couldn't agree more, the SD Slash pickups are pretty sweet, I'm very happy with them.

Archived