Gibson Brands Forums

New gibson member need ur advise :-)

yahli

hi all,

i am so glad to be here,

fall in love in the gibson SG and i am about to buy one.

few quick q:

1. what is the difference between sg std 2008 and newer model (except the mini tune feature) ,

should i go to newer model (i have option to buy used like new model 2008 ?

2. what do u think about sg std vs lp stuido (i know it is completely different guitar , but same price level for me ) , just tone and fell perspective ?

Thanks so much for ur help!!!

yahli.

Hello

'08 standard has 50's "chunkier" neck. New models have slimmer 60's neck. '08 got the 498/490 pickups, new one got 57 classic. 490/498 has more output than 57 classic. Aesthetically the new STD has nicer deeper beveling on horn and body.

With new ones i'm talking about pre 2015, like 2013-14. The 2015 models you need to read up on, so much going on there.

Good luck

I don't know about the 08, but I just bought a 2013 SG 60's and like it a lot. It does not have the split coil option nor the new mini tune, but the neck profile and pick ups are awesome. Don't know if you have the option or opportunity but go play them and see what you like. You can pick up the SG I just described for 599 from Sam Ash if they have any more...and if you like the 50's style neck they have that too...brand new guitar. In regards to the LP studio I just got one of those too 2014...now that guitar I can't put down...it does have the coil split option and can generate so many unique sounds...too much fun to play. Good luck on that decision....if money ain't an issue buy both [thumbup]

besides the auto tuners, the main changes are a zero fret, (which from the reports we've seen here, was a disaster) and they widened the fretboard, and maybe they changed the neck profile? Not sure,

I am sure that I'm glad I'm not in the market for a new SG or Les Paul. These "modifications" just wouldn't work for me,.

OK - i have bought it today!!!

so exciting , this sg std from November 2007. ebony finish.

already order Ernie Ball 2221 for the lady.

need to give her some love (and freetboard clean) - steel wool ????

picture soon -

thanks so much!!!

yahli.

picture soon -

thanks so much!!!

yahli.

cool!

Why not just git some fretboard conditioner?

(Guitar Honey, http://www.amazon.com/Gerlitz-GGH-Guitar-Honey-Fingerboard/dp/B000EEJF4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428060133&sr=8-1&keywords=gerlitz+guitar+honey or something like that?)

picture soon -

thanks so much!!!

yahli.

I wouldn't use steel wool on a fretboard. Just some plain water will do the trick or get some fretboard cleaner.

Archived