Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson midtown custom or fender 72 mex tele

Stupidcreature

So I'm buying my first higher end guitar and I'm really stuck between these two. I love both but I've only played the tele. I am currently favouring the midtown but I haven't had chance to play it as stores around me no longer stock it. The only place I can get it is from thomann and I've heard good things about them. I'm looking for people who have either played or own a midtown as like I say, I am currently favouring it. I'm not interested in anyone complaining about the richlite as this doesn't bother me. Honest opinions please guys, thanks.

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

The most honest answer would be, is try them. They are very different guitars to feel and tone.

I know, in some countries it is hard to manage it, but if possible, - at least - play similiar instruments before buying one or the other.

Those who own a Midtown, love them very much. Some of them even put Les Pauls down for sake of a Midtown.

Cheers... Bence

I would go with the Midtown. I own several American made Teles and one Midtown. Two totally different guitars, but I know you will always be able to pickup a new Mexican made tele. I can't say that about a American made Midtown. The best advice you received was to try both if possible and choose the one you like the best. Good luck.

Kenny V

You are also talking about two different "grades" of guitars in two different price ranges.

But in reality, they are also two DIFFERENT guitars. You can't compare and say one is better than the other.

Personally, I NEVER think buying a new guitar online is a good idea. It isn't a matter of getting ripped off or anything, but rather, the whole reason WHY to buy new is the privilege of trying many, and finding the one that really "fits" and makes you want it.

Having said that, I have played a midtown, and I think it's pretty cool. It's true they are hard to find and not made anymore, but if you want an idea of the feel, I would say it has the overall feel of a Les Paul Special, the upper fret access of a 335, and the neck-dive balance of an SG.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me decide. I think I'm going to get the midtown because if I don't, I will always have a 'what if' I. The back of my mind. The great thing about thomann is they have a free money back guarantee which includes shipping it back to them within 30 days of purchasing so if I completely hate it, I will send it back and get the tele. Thank you guys :)

You are also talking about two different "grades" of guitars in two different price ranges.

But in reality, they are also two DIFFERENT guitars. You can't compare and say one is better than the other.

Personally, I NEVER think buying a new guitar online is a good idea. It isn't a matter of getting ripped off or anything, but rather, the whole reason WHY to buy new is the privilege of trying many, and finding the one that really "fits" and makes you want it.

Having said that, I have played a midtown, and I think it's pretty cool. It's true they are hard to find and not made anymore, but if you want an idea of the feel, I would say it has the overall feel of a Les Paul Special, the upper fret access of a 335, and the neck-dive balance of an SG.

Stein I am so glad you made that your third statement, until recently I too had never bought a guitar without seeing and playing it first. Not saying it is wrong to do that and in fact I have probably lost out on some good guitars because of it. But too many times I have seen more then one of the same make/model/year of a guitar hanging in a guitar store and been amazed at how differently they play from one another. But in this day and age that limits what you can buy. So a few months back I made my first purchase without physically seeing/touching the guitar first, for a guitar I searched for over a year for the Golden Axe Explorer. Gibson didn't make many of them and new sold out quickly and I never found one in a local shop that I could see and touch. I came to realization that if I was ever going to get it the odds were high I would have to purchase it without holding her first. I couldn't be more happier with the purchase and I love the guitar. So maybe I need to rethink it some especially with the 30-60 day return policies, I don't know.

• 1 month later...

Here it is not high end at all. Mexican is whats for dinner when you go out and get margaritas and chips and salsa.

By higher end, I actually meant an expensive guitar. In your eyes it may not be high end, but with a price tag of nearly £1000, that is a lot for someone who bought the guitar themselves aged only 18.

Archived