Gibson Brands Forums

Sins when playing on stage?

PelhamBlueFire

Hello everyone,

Most of us, if not all of us, have some experience with playing live on stage. Through our experiences, we have all learned what works and what doesn't work. In this thread, I would like to discuss the things that are absolute sins...the kind of stuff - not - to do, and why. So, generally speaking, what doesn't work according to you? Let's begin...the first one up is:

1. To not put the drummer in the PA after you've put a large shield around him.

If you don't, the drumset will sound like garbage out front, of course. You have to mic the guy up to get the clarity back and for the overall blend between the instruments. You'd think this goes without saying, but I have seen otherwise with this high school back I saw years ago.

Also,

2. To put an acoustic guitar through an electric guitar amp on stage.

Another example of how you can make an instrument sound like hell. Electric guitar amps are not meant to deliver the right frequencies in order to make your acoustic guitar sound great. You'll end up with a very muddy, slightly distorted sound. This is not what you want, except for when you're goofing off.

So what are your nominees?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching some footage of ourselves playing a carnival back in September, I would say that's it's the plinking and plucking and noodling between songs. I'm as guilty as anyone. Standing up there you don't always realize. But watching the footage later, you can see how annoying and unprofessional it is. Sure everyone has to tune a little, or check your amp setting, etc. But try to keep it to a minimum.

I once did a pub gig at the start of the Punk era. We were a rock band and didn't know the audience were going to all be Punks. So we agreed to speed the songs up. The crowd were awful. Fighting throwing drinks etc. One gobbed (Blew his nose through his mouth) in my hair and eventually the Police came and closed it down. An awful night.

After watching some footage of ourselves playing a carnival back in September, I would say that's it's the plinking and plucking and noodling between songs. I'm as guilty as anyone. Standing up there you don't always realize. But watching the footage later, you can see how annoying and unprofessional it is. Sure everyone has to tune a little, or check your amp setting, etc. But try to keep it to a minimum.

This, DEFINITELY! The solution is simple. Start the NEXT SONG right away.

60 seconds of dead air between songs is not good, especially if you finally got the crowd up on the dance floor... GET ON WITH IT! Keep them there. I've had to beat this into band mates more than I care to recall.

Too much talking.. No one cares what story you may have to tell, and the crowd noise is going to make it impossible to understand a word you're saying. Count off the next song...

Making the sour puss face or just reacting in a negative way when you hit a clam. it's over, it's done, forget it. No one will even know until you make it obvious. Move on, there's plenty more notes waiting to be hit CORRECTLY.

Unbalanced stage volume. Listen to what's going on around you and blend in with it. if you have any experience at all, you will know when you are not loud enough, and when you are too loud. (Don't wait for me to give you the eye...)

Drunks! you're there to entertain THEY are there to drink, keep it that way. You may think you just nailed that solo, but, from the guy who's not touched a drop all night, uhmmm, no,, you didn't..

Don't ANGST over covering EVERY NOTE of someone elses solo in a cover song. Get in the ball park, and just let it go. It's going sound a lot less contrived than trying to do a solo NOTE for NOTE,, (unless your extremely OCD, have the time to waste on that, and if you are that OCD, I'm not working with you anyway)

Don't make the mistake and think that everyone in the bar you're playing for wants to hear 3 sets of your originals. They don't.. They actually would rather hear something they know all the words too.. Want to get em up and dancing? Play Twist and Shout, Want to have everyone looking at each other from across their table? play 10 of your originals. I know! I know,, it is what it is..

I have more, but who has the time to read my vitriol!

/ray

kidblast... You are sooo right!!!

I just agree (and sadly can relate to) all of that!

Best move we ever made was a couple of us deciding just to keep ripping straight into the next song before front man could open his mouth. [biggrin]

This is not my personal experience, but I witnessed it in my sons' band years ago. Their drummer also wanted to play one of his songs on guitar.(no drums). After the previous song, he ran off stage to get his guitar, came back, plugged it in and proceeded to tune it. He wasn't prepared for it. My sons' (one on bass, the other on guitar) kept looking around in disgust. They should have just started an instrumental between the two of them to keep something going, but they couldn't decide if they wanted to do that or just wait for the drummer/guitarist/singer to get his act together. After several minutes, he finally started his song, and it wasn't even that good. It was a Battle of the Bands type gig, so needless to say, this did not help their efforts.

Best move we ever made was a couple of us deciding just to keep ripping straight into the next song before front man could open his mouth. [biggrin]

Exactly!! It's hard to believe that you have to explain this to the people you are working with. Act professional, and you will come off as professionals. Wild stuff but it works!

This, DEFINITELY! The solution is simple. Start the NEXT SONG right away.

60 seconds of dead air between songs is not good, especially if you finally got the crowd up on the dance floor... GET ON WITH IT! Keep them there. I've had to beat this into band mates more than I care to recall.

Too much talking.. No one cares what story you may have to tell, and the crowd noise is going to make it impossible to understand a word you're saying. Count off the next song...

Making the sour puss face or just reacting in a negative way when you hit a clam. it's over, it's done, forget it. No one will even know until you make it obvious. Move on, there's plenty more notes waiting to be hit CORRECTLY.

Unbalanced stage volume. Listen to what's going on around you and blend in with it. if you have any experience at all, you will know when you are not loud enough, and when you are too loud. (Don't wait for me to give you the eye...)

Drunks! you're there to entertain THEY are there to drink, keep it that way. You may think you just nailed that solo, but, from the guy who's not touched a drop all night, uhmmm, no,, you didn't..

Don't ANGST over covering EVERY NOTE of someone elses solo in a cover song. Get in the ball park, and just let it go. It's going sound a lot less contrived than trying to do a solo NOTE for NOTE,, (unless your extremely OCD, have the time to waste on that, and if you are that OCD, I'm not working with you anyway)

Don't make the mistake and think that everyone in the bar you're playing for wants to hear 3 sets of your originals. They don't.. They actually would rather hear something they know all the words too.. Want to get em up and dancing? Play Twist and Shout, Want to have everyone looking at each other from across their table? play 10 of your originals. I know! I know,, it is what it is..

I have more, but who has the time to read my vitriol!

/ray

Very good read, and I have played with a guy that had a drinking problem. It's bad, really bad. He would not play without getting hammered first. We had to release him, of course.

This is not my personal experience, but I witnessed it in my sons' band years ago. Their drummer also wanted to play one of his songs on guitar.(no drums). After the previous song, he ran off stage to get his guitar, came back, plugged it in and proceeded to tune it. He wasn't prepared for it. My sons' (one on bass, the other on guitar) kept looking around in disgust. They should have just started an instrumental between the two of them to keep something going, but they couldn't decide if they wanted to do that or just wait for the drummer/guitarist/singer to get his act together. After several minutes, he finally started his song, and it wasn't even that good. It was a Battle of the Bands type gig, so needless to say, this did not help their efforts.

What a jackass. Damn

I have played with a guy that had a drinking problem.

it probably happens a lot, but in all the time I've been doing this, (too many to write here) and the hundreds of people I've teamed up with, fortunately it's only been a problem a few times. Awkward when it does happen. I guess if everyone were a raging drunk at the time, we'd have all gotten along fine.

It was hard to tell them they had to go, they were good guys, and when sober, good players.

but, no "off" button for this stuff.

It's ok to have a few to take the edge off, but,, getting p*ssy drunk,, woah,.. not gonna happen with me.

To select the wrong kind of music for a certain audience.

Because the last thing you want to do, is play metal songs for a bunch of elderly people all afternoon. That's an extreme example, but we've all had at least on experience where the audience didn't like our music. Sometimes it's just bad luck, and you're in a certain enviroment that is not working for you. However, it's a good idea to at least put some thought into a setlist. Certain gigs require certain music.

Yes I spent a couple of years in a band with a particularly sodden alcoholic who was a great jazz bass player when he wasn't a drunk.....

Some very good advice here, agree with all of it.

Guitarists - Be in tune already when you get to the gig. Do not plug in first then tune up and hit random chords etc loudly as if you are trying out a guitar in a shop. Always have spare strings and preferably a spare guitar.

Bassists - Could you please play bass? I.E. give us a solid foundation with roots and fifths maybe, but not in the same (high) register as the guitar? And mind that $$£*!! headstock!

Drummers - When playing for a 2/4 or 4/4 dance please don't do the 17/8 batucada beat with triplet clave....I know you can make it fit but....don't.

And the very worst one:

Front man and rhythm guitarist/singer - If you start waving your arms about and stop any of the numbers one more time because you didn't hear it right or the capo's not on or you are out of tune or...whatever it is.....then this band as it is with you up front is NOT going to work.

I've told you enough times. Learn to get over your mistakes.

I have dealt with all of these and still am.....

yes, blow your nose before getting on stage.

adjust your package before getting on stage

do not let the keyboardists girlfriend play tamborine, no matter how big her boobs are

stress to the bassist do not give shout outs to a certain bar/club, when you are playing at a competing bar/club.

do not let the drunk chic up on stage to sing "Me & Bobby McGee", no matter how big her boobs are.

stress to the drummer, please do not seat surf, or lick his cymbals, especially while flirting at the chick with big boobs that wants to sing "Me & Bobby McGee"

always make sure your tuner is off mute, when you're supposed to come screaming in with a lead at beginning of a tune.

I would say be in tune, and to that end, make SURE you bring a tuner, and know how to use it.

It's pretty easy to hit a wrong button on tuners, or when borrowing someone else's even more. You think you are in tune, but you aren't.

Reason being, depending on the gig, you might not have the luxury of hearing things well, for many reasons. There are ways to fake(work) through just about everything, but off tuning you can't.

Found myself there once. Played a solo before I was able to know I was like a half step out. (We were "guest", couldn't hear ourselfs on the stage very well, as it was set up for taping- yea, you read that right).

That is the first and last time THAT ever happened. You won't find me with my guitar and no tuner. Ever...ever...ever...

jdgm - YES!! to all your points, and further...

Lead singers: 1. the mic stand is not a weapon to take out band mates with, so don't treat it as such. 2. be ready to start singing at the appropriate point following the intro - lose yourself in admiring your bandmates' playing some other time!

Sax players/flautists/backing vocalists etc: your job is to add an OCCASIONAL point of interest for impact, not to take over and start performing whenever the f**k you feel the urge!

Blues harp players - select the RIGHT harp for the key prior to blowing in the damned thing!

EDS - yes, and in reverse it is unfortunately apparent that most modern day 21st Birthday party goers ain't that interested in 60's and 70's classic rock [crying] - sometimes its better just to pass a booking up.

Archived