Gibson Brands Forums

First String Change w/G Force

doublescale1

Today I did my first string change on my '15 SG Special. I did not find it all that difficult - I do think I am going to order a few extra of those screw-down locking caps that go on top of the string on each post. Gibson should package them in blister packs for Dealers, 6 to a package, and just hang them up with the replacement knobs, pick guards, switch tips and other small parts they sell. I can only imagine dropping one of those in a dark backstage area in a bar... I'm also thinking that the time it took will improve as I get more familiar with the process, like anything else. The only glitch I encountered was the G Force, when stringing up the A string, tuned it at least two steps higher than normal and I had to manually bring it back down to get it in range for the box to take over - that was the only issue. I also calibrated the system because I put a set of 10's on the guitar, it shipped with 9's according to Gibson's website - I much prefer the tone of the guitar with just that one-gage up set of 10's. The Calibration process was easy-peasy just went step by step and it took all of 5 min. once I had restrung w/10's and tuned them up to pitch the first time. I also played around with selecting the open tunings that are pre-set - it's dead simple and very fast both into an open tuning and back to standard. So far, I've been pleased with the hardware. This is the first string change, and I'm going to keep an eye on the nut, as I have read about the strings cutting into the shipped brass nut - now they are shipping the plated version and this board has people telling us that they called to get a plated replacement nut sent when they observed the strings cutting into the brass - will have to monitor it closely. I also remember the output transformer failing within weeks of Marshall releasing their hardwired re-issue of the 1974X combo - mechanical issues are just something to deal with, it's always something... But as for the G Force, so far I am finding it faster than my old pedal tuners and very reliable - I use the pedal tuner as a mute now for the G Force.

I hit the "off" button, got it to stop everything (pushed and held the power button), it went dark, then I lowered the pitch of the A string - it was at least two steps sharp (glad it didn't happen to the b or hi-e string). Not sure why it pulled that A string so sharp. I had seen the warnings not to try to manually turn the keys while the G Force is on, so I think I got it turned off - it sure looked off. Would that have been the right way to turn off the unit when it was in the middle of any type operation?

I just can't imagine making and easy string change in the middle of a set. IMO there are too many steps, maybe in between sets that would be more feasible. I don't want to sound like a hater of this technology but I don't think its easier than the old fashioned way of: insert string, used a string winder and tune...maybe a quick string stretch or two. My G-Force lasted all but two days on my new SG Special.

I've never had a string break on mine but I don't see how it would take long. When swapping strings I've found I can do it rather fast. Maybe it just takes practice? But the old way may prove faster in an emergency but that's what my backup would be for

I always have a back-up guitar on a stand on stage to grab if a string breaks. I'd never try to replace a string on any guitar during a set (though I've been in clubs and watched a guitarist do it, not a good use of stage time IMHO). I've only had this guitar for going on two weeks now - as of now, I like the G Force. I also think that it's faster than a Polytene I had, and I can see it on a bright stage. I didn't fine it all that difficult to re-string ( I did take my time since it was my first go-through with the box), the machine wound up the string quickly, and with the one exception of the A string, it got to pitch just fine - I definitely like the open tuning pre-sets. Getting those dialed up and being able to go back to standard tuning is very easy and fast. You could easily go to an open tuning between songs unless your band is a non-stop song machine. The only faster way I am aware of to get to open tunings would be with a Variax, but that is a whole other discussion, the modeled tone thing (not necessarily bad, just not the same). I have a Variax and like that too - but I think it's best mixed in live with the rest of the band. I know many pro's who use Variax's for commercial music and we've all heard tons of TV commercial and radio music tracks that came from the Variax. But I digress. I'm willing to go down the road with this G Force a bit. I think it's worth the effort. Time will tell of course.

I just can't imagine making and easy string change in the middle of a set. IMO there are too many steps, maybe in between sets that would be more feasible. I don't want to sound like a hater of this technology but I don't think its easier than the old fashioned way of: insert string, used a string winder and tune...maybe a quick string stretch or two. My G-Force lasted all but two days on my new SG Special.

I am a complete and total G Force and Min-eTune fan boy. I love them and I can now change string very quick with them. But I agree that the way the string is held to the robo tuner post is not as cool and easy as it should be. I would like to see something more like a standard locking tuners. Thread the string and turn a lock and your done. That's my biggest complaint with the design.

I am a complete and total G Force and Min-eTune fan boy. I love them and I can now change string very quick with them. But I agree that the way the string is held to the robo tuner post is not as cool and easy as it should be. I would like to see something more like a standard locking tuners. Thread the string and turn a lock and your done. That's my biggest complaint with the design.

agreed. must be a patent thing right? like they aren't allowed to use that design.

Archived