Gibson Brands Forums

Small Body Guitar Test

BluesKing777

A bit quiet around the joint and I was considering doing a test recording with a few similar guitars - I was contemplating the 'how' while working on the computer when the phone rang and I was asked to stop work - there was a problem with the system za da za da zada DONT Create ANY more FILES until we ring you back...Zada Zada hmmmmmmmm - head to the music room and hit record on a simple blues track multiplied by THREE in a row on the same track...harder than you think, but I was close... :rolleyes:

So get out ya headphones for a close listen and pick which small body guitar from my (NOT IN ORDER of Recording)1937 Gibson L-0, my 1959 Gibson LG3 and my 2014 Martin CEO7 (recorded as similar as possible with the Neumann KM184 mic into iMac (ONE LONG TRACK with each guitar approximately 1 1/2 mins):

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/test-3guitars-1

BluesKing777.

LG-3, L-O, CEO-7

Gotta say they all work really well in this style. Third guitar has a really nice treble shimmer that gives it a really old sound. Honestly, it's hard to pick a favorite here.

Very good comparison.

All three hit it - hard to pick a fav.

Maybe #1 is my #1. To these ears in the h-phones it has more core than the 59'er.

The newbie leans on a strong healthy bass and could be described as the richest, but perhaps lacks the oldies flavour that suits this style so good.

A style you by the way handle very well.

Hep for posting - keep up the blue picking and the CEO7 might get vintage in time. .

Ahhh?//!!! Solly! [mellow]

I worded the introduction to the test too loosely - I intended people to pick which guitar is which : "That 1st one has to be the...XXXX!!!", the 2nd has to be...., 3rd has to be....

Bu a description of what you hear is great reading!

I'm just busting to spill the beans already, but I guess I better wait...an hour or two.....

They may sound similar but wow, they are VERY different to play.....

BluesKing777.

Ahhh?//!!! Solly! [mellow]

I worded the introduction to the test too loosely - I intended people to pick which guitar is which : "That 1st one has to be the...XXXX!!!", the 2nd has to be...., 3rd has to be....

Bu a description of what you hear is great reading!

I'm just busting to spill the beans already, but I guess I better wait...an hour or two.....

They may sound similar but wow, they are VERY different to play.....

BluesKing777.

I write this as I am listening. So far they all sound as though they present what you are playing well. My taste leans to the L-0. It sounds like it is easier to play from what my ears are hearing, and it has a smoothness the others do not possess. A mature sound.

Reveal already?

Ummmm....I have to find my notes...where did I put them?

[tongue]

I understood what you were asking. I didn't list them in order of preference, but in order of which guitar I thought was which. Sample 1= LG 3, sample 2= L-O, sample 3 = CEO 7.

Great demo. All three instruments sound very nice. I like the warmth and balance of #1 for the song used in the demo. I'm guessing it's the L-0. To my ringing ears, #2 & #3 have more top and bottom. I say #2 is the LG3, and #3 is the CEO7.

Very nice playing, by the way.

Bo

Now for the nipple twist.... [flapper]

I meant to post it on the UMGF for the new CEO7 owners and I should have done it at the same time as this thread, as some of you read both forums and will spill the beans.

Back soon and keep up the detective work....

BluesKing777.

Ho Ho...

No tricks and no J200 here - it wouldn't even fit in my music room! [drool]

And Mr 62 Burst has good hearing! I listened back to the track and there is some phasing all the way through, which must be from Soundcloud converting my Mono recorded track to stereo without asking me...not like it on my original track.

So who has the CEO7 picked? Anyone?

These responses make me think of poor Sister Mary Elephant in Cheech And Chong...."CLASS"..... [cursing]

BluesKing777.

Well, since I got them all wrong, my preconceptions about tone are all out the window.

I was pretty sure the third one was the Martin, and I didn't want to admit I liked it best. Now that I know it was the L-O, I'm actually relieved. That is one special little guitar you've got there.

Now the cat is out of the bag, I can say the strings each guitar has.....as I was talking about the very thing the other week, a few of you could have tweeked and said. "Aha! I know the guitar has...."

So, quite an odd mix really, but they are all working beautifully at their allotted tasks!

1. Martin CEO7 - Gibson MB PB12s - the last packet from a large box I bought as they changed packets and who knows what else?

2. 1959 Gibson LG3 - Elixir Nano PB 12s - have calmed down a nasty eq I was getting with Gibson PBs on this guitar - very happy with them and I will buy a few more packets tomorrow if they have them....oh, oh, I'm going to a music shop.....

3. 1937 Gibson L-0 - Elixir Nano PB 80/20 12s - really pleased, and will buy more if they have them...tomorrow.

The strings probably threw some people off the scent! :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Ahaaa, , , , , guess there only 1 excuse in this camp : I'm not a small-body-person.

That said, I hear'n'understand your mission with those creatures - and definitely believe you are on clean blues-track.

(traps there are that un-bluesy notes and licks can sneak in, which you avoid).

Take care of that 37'er (the one I called non-vintageish), , , I have to live in shame the whole Easter.

Now the cat is out of the bag, I can say the strings each guitar has.....as I was talking about the very thing the other week, a few of you could have tweeked and said. "Aha! I know the guitar has...."

So, quite an odd mix really, but they are all working beautifully at their allotted tasks!

1. Martin CEO7 - Gibson MB PB12s - the last packet from a large box I bought as they changed packets and who knows what else?

2. 1959 Gibson LG3 - Elixir Nano PB 12s - have calmed down a nasty eq I was getting with Gibson PBs on this guitar - very happy with them and I will buy a few more packets tomorrow if they have them....oh, oh, I'm going to a music shop.....

3. 1937 Gibson L-0 - Elixir Nano PB 80/20 12s - really pleased, and will buy more if they have them...tomorrow.

The strings probably threw some people off the scent! :mellow:

BluesKing777.

The different strings make a huge difference. It's pretty hard to compare MB PB's to 80/20 coated strings. Having said that, The coated 80/20's on the L-O are an interesting choice, and probably contribute to that high-end shimmer that made me think "Martin".

The MB PB's on the Martin probably help give it a Gibson-esque low-end thunk that I don't normally associate with smaller Martins, although I've seen a similar effect on my 000-28 with older PB's.

No need to hide your shame with the Easter eggs; the mix of string types are enough to throw us of the trail, and it was good of the Blues King to fess up and offer us some small consolation.

Fine playing, as well.

Archived