Gibson Brands Forums

I Think My Quest May Be Over

Silvercrow

First off- thanks to everyone that provided opinion, guidance, direction and humor.

I've been looking at the Maxon OD820; a slew of TS808 / TS9 Pedals; Fulltone Fulldrive 2 & 3 , OCD ; Keeley White Sands.Countless youtube videos and "shootouts".

And I didn't select any of them! I kept running into the Klon, Klon clones, Son of Klon; Daughter of Klon; Bastard Child of Klon. I really like the Klon. $1500.00? YEAH, RIGHT. In a dead pigs eye!

I settled on the J Rockett Archer. I won't know for sure until I get it on MY amp, MY guitar and ME. But two videos really sold me; the Shawn Tubb video demo of the Archer, and the Rockett video here they A/B a silver Klon and the Archer. Switching back and forth between them immediately, numerous time. That Archer sounded SO spot on- truthfully- at a few settings I felt the Archer had a little more fullness. All of this means only one thing- assuming that the amp / mic placements were the same- I'm sure they were- in my mind and my ears the Archer was virtually indiscernible from the Klon they used for the demo. Don't know how it will sound on my rig but against each other in that video...don't know if I'm explaining it well.

BTW- The Gear Page had over 53 pages on the Archer vs. Klon thing. 2014-2015. I NEVER realized this was all THAT controversial. :rolleyes: That's where I saw the videos, FWIW.

Stay tuned- I should have it by Monday latest...

Brian

Neither me!

I am very curious too, about Your judgement!

Best wishes... Bence

HI Bence! LOL- many folks wonder about my judgment! Hey Marshall Paul!

I've never posted links here- is it just a matter of copying them and pasting them in? If so I will be happy to do it.

I had never heard of the Archer but for two days ago. If you Google Klon vs. J Rockett Archer you'll get a plethora of videos on them. When I realized I liked the Klon very much, I inquired of Google what current pedals closest to Klon Centaur? On "The Gear Page" there were over 53 PAGES of material on the Klon vs. the Archer. VERY interesting, amusing and even somewhat informative reading. I only made it to page 27. Imbedded in these pages were two videos that I spoke of in my original post.

I'm sure you've got better things to do with your time- I am on the prowl for a low gain OD pedal- hence the obsessive internet scouring. This pedal seems to have just what I want- good transparency at lower gain settings, and a little growl when gain turned up to noon (12 o'clock). Videos are what they are but in all of them I liked the settings of gain between 8 o'clock (almost off- clean boost with a little hair) to 11 o'clock (crunch without losing the chimey overtones of the guitar). I liked to that, unlike many of these "shoot-outs" or comparisons, there were a variety of guitars used, including humbucker / non-humbucker type guitars. Good array amps too; Suhr, a Blues Jr. Mojo Modded; a higher end (?) Line 6 modeler; a Swart and a '65 DRRI (not all on the ame video mind you!).

So I'll keep you all posted. I've got the sound / tone in my head- now to get it into reality!

Brian

Archived