Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD Iced Tea R8 (pic heavy)

charisjapan

HNGD, but actually over a year ago ... I'm new to this forum, so introducing my guitars:

After deciding on the LP as my "match," I bought an inexpensive "lawsuit" Grassroots (btw, they are NOT lawsuit here!). Very pretty, and very well made, but just didn't have the "depth" of the real thing that I experienced with my Studio. For the longest time I could not justify spending more than a grand on a guitar, so never even tried one out ... y'know, staving off potential temptation. [rolleyes] Then I made the mistake of walking into the Historic section of my local shop, started talking with the salesguy, and before you know it, found myself sitting down with an R8 in my hands, plugged into a Marshall combo. BGM was all A minor blues, and ...

... I think you may have guessed what happened.

First hurdle was to talk to my bride, she was ... ummm ... surprised. So I dropped the subject. Back story: we met in high school 40 years before at my birthday party (yes, really!) So on my birthday in 2013 ...

10061277285_b78786ffc4_b.jpg

9911905915_92583342ec_b.jpg

Afternoon sun after adding reflectors ...

9945792274_0a2fa08716_b.jpg

Commemorative trc ...

10133901584_28935e6d16_b.jpg

Decided to mess with electrics, "The Art of Tone" pots and Jupiter caps ...

15792938650_21ca737a89_b.jpg

Montreux PAF Clones ... not signed, but probably made for Montreux by W*zz ...

16380604466_cb8e3f8647_b.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Nice. You chose well. You also got a nice guitar! Did you change the nobs?

Edit: ignore question. Just spotted original ones in first pic so obviously you did.

Nice. You chose well. You also got a nice guitar! Did you change the nobs?

Edit: ignore question. Just spotted original ones in first pic so obviously you did.

Hehe! Had those waiting for the guitar to arrive ... took a few pics and immediately changed to reflectors within minutes! [tongue]

cj

Very nice, what made you change the pickups and electronics?

Pickups ? [confused] ... mostly wanted the double cream looks, but limited by money and the copyright thing, which is no problem in Japan. Came across these at my local supplier, and asked for opinions about them on another forum, and nobody even heard of them ... except one fellow in Croatia (W*zz) who said he wound some for Montreux. Took a chance and found them at least equal to the stock Custombuckers ... a little different, sharper and a bit gainier, but about what you would expect from the lack of covers and AlNiCo II aged magnets. (I guess ... not really an expert)

Electronics was a bit more cut-and-dry ... the originals had severe taper issues both volume and tone, and checking with a meter confirmed the pots were spread almost 30% +/- of spec, and the taper was steep. These TAOT pots are advertised at 5%, but actually measured withing 2% ... and the taper was quite a bit more "audio" in use. Before the change, switching guitars meant fiddling to find my spot, now all my guitars give me about the same effect at the same setting, i.e. the pointers actually point to something meaningful. I did not measure the caps, so no real issues there (and I am NOT connoisseur enough to hear all the PiO, saran wrap, tin foil, etc. differences). But I build tube amps and had these in my box, and thought they would look nice ... and the brands have a rep for reasonable accuracy.

Mainly ... I like to mess around with things that can be changed back! [cool] These guitars will go to my kids (one plays guitar), and if they choose to sell them, the OEM should enhance their value ... maybe.

cj

15961844216_3040aaf31b_b.jpg

Archived