Gibson Brands Forums

HUGD .. 56GT (2013)

charisjapan

A little more recent addition to my family, I picked up a used 2013 R6 Goldtop. I usually try to think up some way to justify a major purchase like this, so here's my excuse ... I was born in 1956. (and I'm pretty sure a real '56GT is not in my future) While I am totally pleased with humbuckers in a Les Paul, my "roots" (actually only a few years ago) are with single coils, so was naturally interested in P-90s. I did mess with coil-tapping and S-D P-Rails, but neither fulfilled the need. So when this used guitar showed up on my dealer's website, I asked that it be sent over to my local shop for a peek/play.

Yowzers! (sorry, lived in Pgh for a few years) True single coil tone on steroids ... with Attitude to boot! And the guitar had not one scratch or mark, and zero fretwear. The original owner seems to have just peeled the sticker off the pickguard and kept the extra switchcover (keepsake? or lost?), and saved the guitar for me. [smile]

I have heard practically zero news about the P-90s in the Historics, nothing to hint these are "better" than off-the-shelf parts, but they sound great! Of course, anyone who has changed to some high$$ item claims incredible tone, but haven't heard many folks say the stock pickups are bad ... which I find amazing, lol! No plans for any mods ... can't think of anything that really needs improving ... very out-of-character for me. [cool]

At the shop ...

15783388441_200ef4336a_o.jpg

15785259065_7a259c31fd_o.jpg

The back has an interesting "flame" that changes with light and angle ...

15807290056_c8db0e0ff3_b.jpg

The only change is Orange Drop caps and "The Art of Tone" pots (the original pots were 15~25% out of spec!)

15801346440_b81f2f294d_b.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Nice. I had an R6. Must get another. I can tell the same person did the wiring work in your control cavity as on your R8. Nice work too.

Nice. I had an R6. Must get another. I can tell the same person did the wiring work in your control cavity as on your R8. Nice work too.

Thanks, I am so very glad I went with the R6. Here in Japan, and probably everywhere else, the R7 is more common, and less expensive by a few hundred bucks ... and I kept thinking the tone would not be all that different from my R8. It was worth the little bit more, added a lot more variety to my "family" ... not to mention sounding fantastic with a 5E3 Deluxe!!

Hehe, the work under the hood is mine. [biggrin] (didja notice the pots have been polished? before/after pic below ... had a little time on my hands)

cj

15786705277_b8ffd2347f_b.jpg

Archived