Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Standard 120 Anniversary

PageZOSO

Hello all............My favourite thing to do is unboxing a new Gibson. Have waited for this one for more than a year to get. Didn't even think I was going to get one due to the limited run that they made. When I got that call from my local dealer that it was in I was so excited to go pick it up.

Low and behold when we opened the box and pulled the guitar out of the case, the dealer and I were amazed that the finished buffing on the guitar looked like they polished it with STEEL WOOL.

Now what gets me...........There is a QC card in every case that is checked off, and this was sent out the door. Are these people blind? Maybe they need a person to QC the Inspector. End result waiting for another replacement.

At the end of the day still love my Gibson's but please keep building quality and stick to traditional building and get rid of all that new crap your putting on the New 2015s. Its like putting square wheels on a car now. [biggrin]

Hello all............My favourite thing to do is unboxing a new Gibson. Have waited for this one for more than a year to get. Didn't even think I was going to get one due to the limited run that they made. When I got that call from my local dealer that it was in I was so excited to go pick it up.

Low and behold when we opened the box and pulled the guitar out of the case, the dealer and I were amazed that the finished buffing on the guitar looked like they polished it with STEEL WOOL.

Now what gets me...........There is a QC card in every case that is checked off, and this was sent out the door. Are these people blind? Maybe they need a person to QC the Inspector. End result waiting for another replacement.

At the end of the day still love my Gibson's but please keep building quality and stick to traditional building and get rid of all that new crap your putting on the New 2015s. Its like putting square wheels on a car now. [biggrin]

Hey Page...sorry to hear that! What a disappointment! Are they going to send it back for re-working or are you going for another "new" one?

And I couldn't agree with you more; if it aint broke dont fix it! Before I bought my '08 SG Special, I was at my favorite LGS and looked at the "new and improved" models. To each his own- we got along well without auto-tuners and their version of the zero fret for decades. G&L plecks their US made guitars and do not incorporate a zero fret. These are just my pet peeves.

The shop owner was handing me various SGs and he read my face when I looked at the headstock on one that had the auto-tune. "Hey Brian, I'll take that off for you and mount the regular tuners...no problem." THEN he said "I'll knock off $125.00 if you let me take off the [auto-tuners]." I still didn't buy it but I asked him why the relative big reduction; he told me these auto tuners sell on EBay for up to $200.00! REALLY! Well slap Grandmaw on the butt and call me late for dinner! I am SO far behind the times. I'd have imagined that almost NO ONE liked the min-e-tune / auto tuners.

Old guy done with rant now...I do wish you the best and keep us posted!

Brian

Hey Page...sorry to hear that! What a disappointment! Are they going to send it back for re-working or are you going for another "new" one?

And I couldn't agree with you more; if it aint broke dont fix it! Before I bought my '08 SG Special, I was at my favorite LGS and looked at the "new and improved" models. To each his own- we got along well without auto-tuners and their version of the zero fret for decades. G&L plecks their US made guitars and do not incorporate a zero fret. These are just my pet peeves.

The shop owner was handing me various SGs and he read my face when I looked at the headstock on one that had the auto-tune. "Hey Brian, I'll take that off for you and mount the regular tuners...no problem." THEN he said "I'll knock off $125.00 if you let me take off the [auto-tuners]." I still didn't buy it but I asked him why the relative big reduction; he told me these auto tuners sell on EBay for up to $200.00! REALLY! Well slap Grandmaw on the butt and call me late for dinner! I am SO far behind the times. I'd have imagined that almost NO ONE liked the min-e-tune / auto tuners.

Old guy done with rant now...I do wish you the best and keep us posted!

Brian

Thanks for the support Brian.........As for the guitar, I've been dealing with these guys for years and they haven't steered me wrong. They put in another order for a replacement guitar and have kept the other one on the side just incase they can't get one. Either way they will rectify the issue for me.

Rock on [thumbup]

I'd have imagined that almost NO ONE liked the min-e-tune / auto tuners.

My local shop is a huge Gibson dealer and they just got in a nice haul of big dollar custom shop models, mostly Les Pauls and SGs. They're guarded behind a counter so I asked how many of them have the auto-tuners on the headstock. Salesman gave me a 'you troublemaker!' look and said 'none.'

](*,)

My local shop is a huge Gibson dealer and they just got in a nice haul of big dollar custom shop models, mostly Les Pauls and SGs. They're guarded behind a counter so I asked how many of them have the auto-tuners on the headstock. Salesman gave me a 'you troublemaker!' look and said 'none.'

](*,)

Well today is the day.........The replacement has come in. Will see what passed QC this time.............I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all is well, and I don't have to make a trip back to the store. So once again Happy New Gibson Guitar Day

\:D/

Well today is the day.........The replacement has come in. Will see what passed QC this time.............I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all is well, and I don't have to make a trip back to the store. So once again Happy New Gibson Guitar Day

\:D/

Well I'm happy to say things worked out for the best........Here she is

post-67307-025845300 1428455463_thumb.jpg

Archived