Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Quake

My first J-45 and first koa Gibson! The Adirondack top gives it a different kind of snap but still very nice. It arrived 7 hours ago and I only got to play it for about 35 minutes (work can really interfere). The top is a Montana Sunset burst, it had more red than it shows in the pic. Off to play until my fingers give out!

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone! I really am liking this. I have a SJ TV for comparison and they are different, in a good way. I think the koa may be more "snappy" for flatpicking but I think it's finding it's voice when strumming as I'm playing it more, which is the SJ's strength.

That's not your everyday koa, it's top grade and highly figured. I had a Kanilea Ukulele with deluxe koa and besides being beautiful, this is a super tone wood. Snappy is a good word for it and it projects an awesome sound. They don't give that stuff away either. ;)

That's a really beautiful J-45. Good job getting the Koa. They are now protecting Koa like the other exotic back and side woods. I read that there is no longer any Koa being cut down (in Hawaii anyway). The only Koa being harvested are trees that end their lif-cycle naturally. Pretty much the only Koa being used are trees that blow over in high winds, or trees that finish their natural life. I think Koa guitars are going to be pretty rare birds before long. That is one REALLY beautiful Gibson Sunburst too. Super nice J-45!

Archived