Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Sharp intonation ? Is that common ?

hello guys

i have a ES335 and i have sharp notes under the 12th fret on G string

Both saddles on the G and B string...are on the limit,,,no more adjustment room

Do you know why is this ?

My setup is ok...5/64 low E 4/64 high E

and the nut height 0.010 at high E , 0.020 at Low E.

Fretdressed and recrowned,and almost straight truss rod

Do you think that i should by a new bridge like Gotoh, with a few extra mm for the saddle adjustment to get me in tune.

Is that common problem on that guitars ? Es335

Something doesn't sound right here.

Having the "G" string saddle maxed out is fairly typical, but the "B" string also?

I think a photo of exactly where you're at on your adjustments would help. A photo would not only show us the location and alignment of your saddles, but also the orientation.

Something doesn't sound right here.

Having the "G" string saddle maxed out is fairly typical, but the "B" string also?

I think a photo of exactly where you're at on your adjustments would help. A photo would not only show us the location and alignment of your saddles, but also the orientation.

My setup is 5/64 low E 4/64 high E at 15fret

and the nut height 0.010 at high E , 0.020 at Low E.

almost straight truss rod

post-66264-016908700 1428149213_thumb.jpg

From the photo, you look to a an ABR-1 "wire" bridge. With the saddles being held in place by only the retaining wire, it allows you to remove the saddle and turn it around. This gives you extra adjustment by moving the fulcrum (high point/flat side) further away from the nut.

This may change the string spacing (if the saddles are not grooved right down the middle), and require the saddles to be re-grooved, or replaced and grooved for proper string spacing.

Before doing anything, I would put on a new fresh set of strings, let them settle in a couple days, and double check your intonation.

I suppose I'd try what Larry mentions. turn the G and B saddles around that should give you more room.

And the bridge angle does look ok from that photo to me.

it might be time for a ride to a good luthier to make sure the neck angle is still ok..

Archived