Gibson Brands Forums

All solid wood Epi 12 string ?

agradeleous

Just wondering if Epi made one and what model it or they are .

All of a sudden the thought just popped into my head why not loose some stuff and get a solid wood 12. I have a Luna Trinity 12 there's an old youtube demo of it on my page of it.

But I just can't get the solid wood desire for a 12 out my head LOL figure Epi would be the place to start.

I searched some but I have not found anything yet except the laminate model.

Thanks for any direction you all might have :)

Have a great Easter and Passover and any other Holiday I missed ;)

Ags

Solid wood construction for a 12 string starts at $1800-$2000 (or more) that's just not Epiphone's market. You're talking probably $2500 range.

Takamine makes a decent 12 string at a $600 price point, Taylor offers a solid top, layered sapele sides and back for $750. Guild makes a solid mahogany model made in China for $650. To me, tone wise, they all seem to be in about the same class. I bought the Tak and its very well built, jumbo body, solid spruce top and layered maple sides and back. The construction, fit and finish are flawless. Is it a Guild F-412...no but those run $3k.

Thanks I'm looking at the guild gad model . I bought and returned the Gad 000 I felt she played great and had good sound so I'd like to hear the Gad 12 model forget models names .

I'd love to plop down a few grand without concern on a guitar but unfortunately I know that will never happen unless Mr. Lotto happens by lol

Another guitar I bought and returned is the Yamaha LL Series , I have to say only main reason it went back was blemishes and I did not want the engle man top .

But it had to me fantastic tone so their 12 model is the same price at 899.99 they have a new top aging process that I'm indifferent about.

Also considering the BlueRidge 160 around the same price to a tad more .

One thing I'd like with a new 12 is killer tone but I know that costs lol

Another issue for Blueridge and guilds and most likely the Yamaha no one has the darn things in stock .

So it's the shipping game all over again which costs money unless you hit the mark on the first buy.

I don't think I'd go with Taylor or Breedlove because of not being all solid wood .

Also for some reason I don't like Taylor's they so over pushed it drives me nuts .

I played everyone that Guitar center had even the exotic woods Koa and the likes they where to ok but nothing that blew me away just sounded to me like every thing else on the wall .

Another thing is at Sam ash the guy was pushing Taylor's as the best sounding best built swears by them . So I was going through the guitars and pick upped a beautiful Taylor had the maple banding inlay work and such it was selling for 2700.00 or so the guitar sounded dead the finger board had waves in it and neck was bent . So I keep hearing this guy in the back round going about Taylor's I about threw it at him in front of the many customers and wanted to say ....... well what hells up with this Taylor then !

Lmao sorry going on I know but the drilling had ended lol anyway there good guitars just not my cup of tea . Ok rant over hahaha how do I do this to my self lol

Keep the options coming .

Ags out

Thanks Irish rover , I posted some where about blue collar guitars a class I chose for the guitars can afford that no one stocks and its a drag ordering them in .

It's just not right that you can find hundred dollar guitars and 3,000 and up everywhere but hit my range the (blue collar ) range and guitars get scarce and I beat lots of you are the same boat . That inbetween zone for all solid wood guitars in the 900 to 1,500 ish range .

None of the lower end models would be any better then my Luna trinity 12 string which just my opinion .

I will consider the Breedlove knowing that like there tone but the stage if I remember right has laminated sides the top and back are solid . So add the hardwood solid sides back in and BAM ! Jump up from 1,000 to 2,000 up breedloves . lol

So my options are Breedlove , Yamaha LL and you all should try one if you haven't all ready and of coarse BlueRidge and Guild which no one has in stock . I need to look at Road king and I guess I should consider Tanglewood but again finding them in stock is tough .

thanks for the link it was a good read , 😄

My all-time favourite 12 string? No contest-Martin D12-18.

What came closest might surprise you. Seagull- Canadian solid cedar top ,laminate b/s.

I have a 60's Epiphone Bard in for repair- I have a Walden 12 while it's off the road-Excellent.I had anEpi AJ18S12 FOR A WHILE-Recommended!

Hey there El Captian . I'll check out the Martain . I wonder if Blueridges br160 is there clone version ?

Seagull has some nice stuff and there implementing side bracing along with many others ... Wonder who started the war lol

My seagull was great I had the 6c or something cedar top she had great sound but she no intonation it dat worse then acoustic you heard . Had her for yrs then trade in was upon me . Also can't speak for all models but the few I tried about 6 months back still had base ball bat necks. :(

I need to look up that Epi model fun times ahead ;) wife will cut me lmao I must tread very lightly . Lol

Regards

Ray

Edit ; the Epi looks interesting but the price says laminated back and sides ?

and is the Martin all solid have not seen any real info on it but there some for sale .

A vid on the blueRidge BR160-12 solid sika and solid rosewood and the price is interestingly good at 733.00

Ags

Nice El , I have 3 on my mind

I'm really liking the Guild Mahogany D-125-12 and I was very impressed with the LL16 6 string so I'm hoping the 12 string version sounds as good weird there are no vids for that model .

The Blueridge is still on my mind but slipping I think because I already have a BR 180a and the tones would be close to each other . I would options on separation if I was to record with both .

Also interested in the Martin mahogany 12 funny tone wise between the mahogany and engle man spruce I love both what do what to do lol

Again finding blue collar guitars in stock is next to nill

Just got onto this one.

For what it's worth, I don't usually go for acoustics labeled "Fender." And too, I'm definitely an AE-only picker.

But I got a steal on a Fender CD-160SE 12 string. lam back and sides, solid spruce top. Decent electronics. Tusq bridge and saddle. Hog neck, decent tuners. Nice feeling neck and the frets are even.

So I got one. It does play well with a relatively thin neck.

I s'pose you could make a case that it's not at all a "great" guitar. But IMHO, given the nature of 12-strings, I'm not sure an audience really hears much difference. Too, I'm always playing AE. Then again, pretty much so does Kottke.

Bottom line is that it's well worth the bucks. Again, that's just my opinion. It's no D-28-12, but run AE... I don't think anybody's gonna complain that it's not a Martin.

Any 12 will have a degree of question of the top and the bridge.

m

What's AE Mean again ?

I'm going through issues with tone, I just might sell my Dr500 or trade it in 😞

I use open tunings but as far noticeing the tone I'm not sure I'm sure going to pick up as many 12's as I can to hear .

I'm still very interested in the Yamaha LL 16 12 the guild mahogany 12 gad series sounded good or as good as one can get via you tube but I read where the neck is a C shape and paints a baseball bat picture along with the guitar being neck heavy . Bummer on both

Need a trip to Local shop and GC in the city .

AE is "acoustic electric," and usually references a piezo of some sort with a preamp and controls, and in the Fender item, a tuner.

I got my first 12 just before the college school year in '64. Huge neck. Not all that expensive by criteria of the day, but it sounded pretty good.

There's something to the 12-string sound that to me makes the overall materials quality, strength being equal, less important than on a six-string. An AE makes that even less important IMHO - then again, even a decent mike and PA setup makes a pure acoustic guitar sound somewhat different than one finds six feet away in an otherwise quiet room.

The AE on this one sounds quite good through a PA board. I very seriously doubt that almost anyone could tell the difference in sound in concert from other brands unless they're a very serious expert. Playability is excellent for me; opinions will vary.

I tend to use the lighter strings, detune to Dd and capo up to standard pitch. This instrument handles that quite well. Others may have other choices, but Kottke, for example, plays at least that much de-tuned (and open tunings?) and while some folks just have to figure what he plays so they can get one like it presumably to play like he does, I think one's own playing preferences and geometry with a given guitar shape is far more important.

I think that any guitar is something more than the sum of its parts, and that playability is paramount.

Seriously, I never would have coughed up cash for a Fender flattop if this hadn't been something of a steal, and now I'll tell you that I'd pay full recommended retail on this one.

All 12s are a little neck heavy; there's the typical 25 1/2 inch scale added to the necessarily heavier peghead. How one holds the instrument and the shape of the "box" contribute to that being a problem or not for a given picker.

Nothing against brands I've not played. I'm just sayin' that my experience with an example of this model guitar has impressed me.

A Martin D28-12 certainly will be as much a work of art as a guitar, and is priced as such. Guilds are nice for the price tag too, but aren't in the Martin league that I've seen - that's my opinion and others may not agree.

But whether either would offer an advantage to your playing style, or what you may need for performance, is a different question that IMHO is the priority. To me the Fender 12 - and I don't like Fender electric guitars at all and have looked down my nose at their acoustic 6-strings - works exceptionally well for me and what I do. Exceptionally well. I'm not saying to buy, but if you have a chance, try one. The Fender Villager 12, OTOH, I'd likely not touch with a 10-foot pole, but that's 'cuz I think it's uglier than I am.

m

Ugly huh Lmao . I had an old Yamaha f312 I mentioned above somewhere she played better then a dream just it was time for something new . My Luna trinity 12 string can't touch the Yamaha and she sound very dry the an old video of me doing a song I came put with called stone fall its on you tube the guitar sounds ok but I'm using a poor mic .

It's ok great for average players which I guess I'll always be but the one thing I disagree with is noticing tone with 12strings . Now would common listeners no they would not and having the 12 mixed in multi tracks only the seasoned players would notice depending on mix quality.

I have to many guitars lol not being used enough . So I think the Epi Dr500 the Luna trinity and Ibenaz Ael 50 will be put up for sale

I'll use that money towards the new 12 . You see back in the day my twelve string was my anchor the only acoustic I had I wrote some interesting tunes that never got recorded .

The Luna i have not touched in 6 months or more . when I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from my guitars I can't enjoy playing them .

I was thinking I that two 6 strings would great for alternating between solos but I really want the 12 to be n my hands more . Man talking about this is making eyes all mushy lol that's how much I been through with my old Yamaha never should have sold her.

Maybe that's why I'm looking at Yamaha again thinking ill recapture some of the nostalgia of times passed.

I never cared or should I say I was young and careless the Yamaha never had case she seen rain , salt water ( I lived in west plam beach Fla then ) bungee corded it to my motor cycle back rest , threw her in beach sand , rode her around in the back of pickup truck sliding all about .

I would take her every where with me . You would she looked like heck but she just had scratches on the back and average dings . I never seen a guitar go through so much and still play as great as she did .

My first guitar actually was a fender f35 ? Lol wow that was 30+ yrs ago no case for her either and I abused it just as much as the Yamaha lol do when hear or see cracked guitars I wonder what could have caused that because as you read I never had any guitar crack lol the fender servived upstate NY elements ,

Ok I went on bit much lol

Fender F series (MIJ 1970's)are OK if they've been looked after.Also Takamine "lawsuit" 12's- pricey because of the Eagles connection.

The Sigma hog 12 is good value,but the roewood is expensive.I think solid top is essential for a full open sound,but all solid is a tall order these days.

Thanks el c not sure I want an older guitar I'm hoping for a faster neck .

So far my search is odly familiar lol

I will have an extremely hard time finding any of my guitars in stock ... Shocker right ? that fact still pisses me off on why they don't keep stock on blue collar guitars .

If I could just play the darn things haha .. K so my wanna try list is China made mostly or Korea preferred are

Yamaha LL16 12 - price 899.99 which I have doubts on because of the lack of head room on the engleman top . I mostly finger pick opening tuning where the Yami could shine it's just I want cut loose every now and then and I don't the notes to get lost and that's what I heard from LL 16 I had for few days .

Guild gad d125 looks interesting and price is almost to good at under 700 for an all solid mahogany guitar .... I just want try it so bad ... Just to see and hear it even if it sucked.

Guild f1512 solid rosewood and Sitka top at a price of 1,000 acoustic guitar magazine reviews are not bad but not totally forth coming the way I take it . I had a guild f130 triple O it was nice I recorded it but the noting seemed to dull farther up the frets you went so I got scared and rejected it .

Breedlove stage 12 looks good about 1,000 as well but try finding it online besides breed loves site no reviews no vids no nothing same with the Yamaha ..... What gives ?

What I don't get is Mf and Sweetwater say unavailable or will call when we get more . This with the Yamaha. I decided to call Yamaha to see what's up according to them Yamaha USA they have them no prob . Lol

SW said will contact you when they come in unsaid was if ever! Lol so I'm confused .

So I come realize that once again I/ we are forced to consider other then what we think we want .

So why make these models if no one is gunna sell them ? I spent plenty on shipping playing this game and don't really want repeat it .

Off to ponder and curse Corporate America .

Well not playing 12 kid of bites from my end but I understand and as far as I'm concerned about Bluegrass .......... It ROCKS !

I love it ! There is fair number of bands here in NC I'm in Salisbury just north of Charlotte . Love the picking . 😄

Archived