Gibson Brands Forums: NGD! 1996 Epiphone (Peerless made) Emperor Regent - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NGD! 1996 Epiphone (Peerless made) Emperor Regent

#1 User is offline   barrymclark 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

...and while it is easily the least expensive guitar I have (including the DIY Tele) it is also easily the nicest playing one I have. In fact, I would easily say that any of my guitars that go in for a major setup (fretjob or whatever) will have its action based on this one.

It really reminds me of my Heritage Eagle unplugged. Plugged in it is a bit warmer.

I immediately strung it up with TI Swing 13's.

Posted Image

Posted Image
BC
0

#2 User is offline   fromnabulax 

  • Former Young Person
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 603
  • Joined: 21-January 15

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

Lovely!

I hope you dig your frequensator as much as I dig mine!

Remember, don't clip the end of your D string until After it's wound. The tailpiece eats quite a bit of it up.

Happy melodies to you.
A bunch of electric guitars. Got a couple of goodies in here.
A bunch of acoustic guitars. Yup, some good ones here too.
A bunch of amps for electrics and a bunch for acoustics. Some are in fact very good.
Got a bass or two.
An armadillo backed charango.
An autoharp.
Some harmonicas.
Some other stuff too.
0

#3 User is offline   Sleeko 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 581
  • Joined: 24-January 08
  • LocationHampstead, North Carolina

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

[thumbup] Very nice. Is that a VS model? Vintage Sunburst?
0

#4 User is offline   barrymclark 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

View Postfromnabulax, on 04 April 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

Lovely!

I hope you dig your frequensator as much as I dig mine!

Remember, don't clip the end of your D string until After it's wound. The tailpiece eats quite a bit of it up.

Happy melodies to you.

Absolutely. I never snip the string until it is on the guitar. :) It was JUUUUUST long enough. haha.

View PostSleeko, on 04 April 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

[thumbup] Very nice. Is that a VS model? Vintage Sunburst?
Thanks! It is an AS (Antique Sunburst).
BC
0

#5 User is offline   Parabar 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 4070
  • Joined: 03-July 08
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

Congratulations! Those Peerless-made Emperor Regents are stunning guitars, and the sunburst ones haven't been made since construction moved to other factories.
0

#6 User is offline   barrymclark 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:54 PM

View PostParabar, on 04 April 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

Congratulations! Those Peerless-made Emperor Regents are stunning guitars, and the sunburst ones haven't been made since construction moved to other factories.

Thanks! I didn't know that about the burst finish. :)
BC
0

#7 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10505
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

yea, I think that in the final production years, they were only available in Natural

I have a 2010 one, (last year they were available afaik) it's a great playing/sounding jazz box.

Enjoy!
/Ray
0

#8 User is offline   barrymclark 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

View Postkidblast, on 05 April 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

yea, I think that in the final production years, they were only available in Natural

I have a 2010 one, (last year they were available afaik) it's a great playing/sounding jazz box.

Enjoy!
That sounds about right. It was right about the time I discovered the E'Reg that they were discontinued. I have a knack for discovering guitars and amps about the time they get dropped as a line. So... I apologize for discovering them. haha.
BC
0

#9 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10505
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:31 AM

HA! yes I've done that a few times, I'd been considering buying a regent for a number of years, I had no idea they were about to be discontinued soon after I pulled the trigger. I would have just as gladly gone second hand, and probably saved some dough in the process.

But I like mine a lot... action is really good, especially after I got the frets all leveled out.
/Ray
0

#10 User is offline   barrymclark 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

Still got some action work to do... I am going to have to get heavier strings and maybe raise the action a bit but it is other wise pretty awesome. :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=dtGElzzTVR0
BC
0

#11 User is offline   fromnabulax 

  • Former Young Person
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 603
  • Joined: 21-January 15

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:01 PM

View Postbarrymclark, on 10 April 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Still got some action work to do... I am going to have to get heavier strings and maybe raise the action a bit but it is other wise pretty awesome. :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=dtGElzzTVR0


Sounds great.

When I bought my used Broadway I pulled it from the wall of the shop and immediately went at the thumbwheel to raise the bridge. The shop owner looked at me like I was out if my mind. I don't think he'd ever seem anyone raise the action to try out a guitar before.

I use .011 flatwounds on my jazz boxes, how about you?
A bunch of electric guitars. Got a couple of goodies in here.
A bunch of acoustic guitars. Yup, some good ones here too.
A bunch of amps for electrics and a bunch for acoustics. Some are in fact very good.
Got a bass or two.
An armadillo backed charango.
An autoharp.
Some harmonicas.
Some other stuff too.
0

#12 User is offline   barrymclark 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:05 PM

View Postfromnabulax, on 10 April 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

Sounds great.

When I bought my used Broadway I pulled it from the wall of the shop and immediately went at the thumbwheel to raise the bridge. The shop owner looked at me like I was out if my mind. I don't think he'd ever seem anyone raise the action to try out a guitar before.

I use .011 flatwounds on my jazz boxes, how about you?

Thanks!

I use 13 flats. I am looking at maybe some 14's or 15's. It will take some experimenting. I ultimately want as low an action as I can get with very little buzz with how hard I dig in.
BC
0

#13 User is offline   kidblast 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 10505
  • Joined: 29-March 12
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:01 AM

13s and they are not heavy enough?

hory clap!

I have 11 flatwounds on my Regent, and for me, they feel just about right.

I have 11 nickles on my broadway with a wound G, and THOSE on that guitar also seem just about right.

btw: That is one fine looking Regent my friend!
/Ray
0

#14 User is offline   peskypesky 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: 30-August 12

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:46 AM

That is one gorgeous guitar!
0

#15 User is offline   Sleeko 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 581
  • Joined: 24-January 08
  • LocationHampstead, North Carolina

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

I was wondering if this has a "2nd" stamped on the back of the headstock? I've not seen a two footed bridge on one of these except when stamped with that. Enjoy that beauty! [biggrin]
0

#16 User is offline   barrymclark 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:44 PM

View Postkidblast, on 11 April 2015 - 05:01 AM, said:

13s and they are not heavy enough?

hory clap!

I have 11 flatwounds on my Regent, and for me, they feel just about right.

I have 11 nickles on my broadway with a wound G, and THOSE on that guitar also seem just about right.

btw: That is one fine looking Regent my friend!

Chrome 11's? I used those for quite a long time. I recently switched to TI Swing 13's and they have just about the same feel for me. :) Just a bit fuller in sound.
BC
0

#17 User is offline   barrymclark 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

View PostSleeko, on 11 April 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

I was wondering if this has a "2nd" stamped on the back of the headstock? I've not seen a two footed bridge on one of these except when stamped with that. Enjoy that beauty! [biggrin]
No sir. No second mark. It was probably modified with it at some point. :)

Trust me it has been GREATLY enjoyed. :)
BC
0

#18 User is offline   barrymclark 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

View Postpeskypesky, on 11 April 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

That is one gorgeous guitar!
Thanks!
BC
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users