Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! 1996 Epiphone (Peerless made) Emperor Regent

barrymclark

...and while it is easily the least expensive guitar I have (including the DIY Tele) it is also easily the nicest playing one I have. In fact, I would easily say that any of my guitars that go in for a major setup (fretjob or whatever) will have its action based on this one.

It really reminds me of my Heritage Eagle unplugged. Plugged in it is a bit warmer.

I immediately strung it up with TI Swing 13's.

20150404_122340_zps4bh3trbl.jpg

20150404_122350_zpsthvvnnpc.jpg

Lovely!

I hope you dig your frequensator as much as I dig mine!

Remember, don't clip the end of your D string until After it's wound. The tailpiece eats quite a bit of it up.

Happy melodies to you.

Absolutely. I never snip the string until it is on the guitar. :) It was JUUUUUST long enough. haha.

[thumbup] Very nice. Is that a VS model? Vintage Sunburst?

Thanks! It is an AS (Antique Sunburst).

yea, I think that in the final production years, they were only available in Natural

I have a 2010 one, (last year they were available afaik) it's a great playing/sounding jazz box.

Enjoy!

That sounds about right. It was right about the time I discovered the E'Reg that they were discontinued. I have a knack for discovering guitars and amps about the time they get dropped as a line. So... I apologize for discovering them. haha.

HA! yes I've done that a few times, I'd been considering buying a regent for a number of years, I had no idea they were about to be discontinued soon after I pulled the trigger. I would have just as gladly gone second hand, and probably saved some dough in the process.

But I like mine a lot... action is really good, especially after I got the frets all leveled out.

Still got some action work to do... I am going to have to get heavier strings and maybe raise the action a bit but it is other wise pretty awesome. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtGElzzTVR0

Sounds great.

When I bought my used Broadway I pulled it from the wall of the shop and immediately went at the thumbwheel to raise the bridge. The shop owner looked at me like I was out if my mind. I don't think he'd ever seem anyone raise the action to try out a guitar before.

I use .011 flatwounds on my jazz boxes, how about you?

Sounds great.

When I bought my used Broadway I pulled it from the wall of the shop and immediately went at the thumbwheel to raise the bridge. The shop owner looked at me like I was out if my mind. I don't think he'd ever seem anyone raise the action to try out a guitar before.

I use .011 flatwounds on my jazz boxes, how about you?

Thanks!

I use 13 flats. I am looking at maybe some 14's or 15's. It will take some experimenting. I ultimately want as low an action as I can get with very little buzz with how hard I dig in.

13s and they are not heavy enough?

hory clap!

I have 11 flatwounds on my Regent, and for me, they feel just about right.

I have 11 nickles on my broadway with a wound G, and THOSE on that guitar also seem just about right.

btw: That is one fine looking Regent my friend!

13s and they are not heavy enough?

hory clap!

I have 11 flatwounds on my Regent, and for me, they feel just about right.

I have 11 nickles on my broadway with a wound G, and THOSE on that guitar also seem just about right.

btw: That is one fine looking Regent my friend!

Chrome 11's? I used those for quite a long time. I recently switched to TI Swing 13's and they have just about the same feel for me. :) Just a bit fuller in sound.

I was wondering if this has a "2nd" stamped on the back of the headstock? I've not seen a two footed bridge on one of these except when stamped with that. Enjoy that beauty! [biggrin]

No sir. No second mark. It was probably modified with it at some point. :)

Trust me it has been GREATLY enjoyed. :)

Archived