Gibson Brands Forums

Very Belated NGD

iankinzel

Hi all!

Back in December, I posted a review of the Epi Rosso Corsa Les Paul (the newest Slash signature model). In this review, I noted in passing that I was waiting on shipment of an Epi Crestwood that I picked up for $70. Here is my post to announce a VERY belated NGD.

But first, pics:

I had some other errands to run that night.

IMG_20141202_191446_zpsen3g5aq0.jpg

The Crestwood in its case.

IMG_20141202_201859_zpsxmkfv1ke.jpg

A close-up of the top.

IMG_20141202_202303_zpscywkdpzj.jpg

How did I get this for $70?

Well, remember that I got this guitar in December back when several retailers had it on clearance for $299 (original price $499). I also got 15% off because I was doing a trade-in with some cheap BBE and Ibanez Tone Lok pedals I haven't used in years, and there's of course the credit I got on the trade-in itself. All in all, I wound up paying only $70 when you take all that into account. Sweetest deal I ever got.

Now that it's been five months, I've had a chance to get to know this guitar's strengths and weaknesses. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to keep it totally stock, just because it's that good. Obviously I'll switch the nut out some day just because those always wear out, but besides that the only change I've made has been to switch the string size from 10s to 9s (and I do that on all my guitars).

The neck plays well enough that I didn't even bother with a setup or anything. I wasn't able to find any fret buzz or any issues with the action; five months later, and I still haven't been able to find any such issues. I generally prefer a satin finish, but the poly on the Crestwood doesn't have any cheap plastic feel at all. The neck carve is right at the beefy end of my personal comfort zone. Perfect.

As for tone, this guitar is obviously a jangle-and-chime machine, but is also surprisingly good for aggressive garage or post punkish rock guitar and even a little bit of Sabbath-esque metal if you use a pedal. In general, this guitar really likes Vox and Tweed-style Fender amps and takes well to Muff circuits, though I'm less impressed when I combine this guitar with a Marshall or Blackface Fender amp and/or any Fuzz Face variant. (Then again, maybe that's just because I prefer Vox, Tweed, and Muffs over Marshall, Blackface and Fuzz Faces).

I also have an Epiphone Wilshire with mini humbuckers and the same Tremotone tailpiece, so it's interesting to me to note the differences between the two guitars. For one, the Crestwood is much more full and smooth-sounding than the Wilshire, particularly in bridge position. I value my Wilshire for its bite in the bridge, its airiness in the neck and its chime in between; the Crestwood still has that bridge bite and that airy neck tone, but it also preserves a little bit of chime in all three positions that I wouldn't be able to dial out even if I wanted to (and why would I?).

In conclusion...wow. And that's with the honeymoon period being long since gone.

Archived