Gibson Brands Forums

Lemon oil residue?

My V came with a rosewood fretboard that looked a little thirsty, so when I first changed strings, I used Dunlop Ultimate Lemon Oil when I cleaned it. Just a little, on a cloth, wiped straight off. Maybe a little against the grain, looking back.

Looks less thirsty now, but the pores look like they have some white-ish residue in them. You can't really tell when looking straight at the fretboard, but it's noticeable if you look at it kinda sideways.

Anyone else noticed something like this when using lemon oil? Anything to be concerned about? Doesn't look TOO bad or anything, but I was wondering if a bit of residue could do some sort of damage... or something.

Should it be wiped on and off strictly WITH the grain? What's your experiences?

Thinking of using Gorgomyte for just regular cleaning in the future. Never tried it - any good?

Thanks!

Hello Pinch!

I haven't experienced this with lemon oil. The only thing I can think of, that lemon oil goes into reaction with some kind of a residue on the fretboard. Hand lotion that You are using, maybe...

Before oiling my guitar's fretboards, I always clean them with soapy water.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Pinch!

I haven't experienced this with lemon oil. The only thing I can think of, that lemon oil goes into reaction with some kind of a residue on the fretboard. Hand lotion that You are using, maybe...

Before oiling my guitar's fretboards, I always clean them with soapy water.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks for replying!

Guess it's leftover grime that came off with the lemon oil, then. Soapy water it is, next time, before the lemon oil. Should take care of it.

Should I just dampen a cloth with soapy water and rub the fretboard? What's your method? Sounds like something you don't want to overdo.

Maybe use a soft toothbrush, too?

Advice appreciated.

Hello!

I think, it's commonly misunderstood: lemon oil is for hydrating, not for cleaning.

I lightly damp a pure cotton cloth (used, old, but clean t-shirt, whatever), and I rub it against the soft, wet surface of the soap in my bathroom. Then, I rub the fretboard with it. I also wrap the cloth around my thumb and press it against the sides of the frets. Most of the junk sits there. When done, I rinse the cloth, and wipe the soapy water from the fretboard. It won't do any harm.

Then, I apply raw, pure linseed oil with Q-tips and rub it in with another cloth.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

I think, it's commonly misunderstood: lemon oil is for hydrating, not for cleaning.

I lightly damp a pure cotton cloth (used, old, but clean t-shirt, whatever), and I rub it against the soft, wet surface of the soap in my bathroom. Then, I rub the fretboard with it. I also wrap the cloth around my thumb and press it against the sides of the frets. Most of the junk sits there. When done, I rinse the cloth, and wipe the soapy water from the fretboard. It won't do any harm.

Then, I apply raw, pure linseed oil with Q-tips and rub it in with another cloth.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks. I'll try that next time. Spoke to my local tech today, and he said pretty much what you did, and that I should be able to get any stuff left over in the pores out next time.

Actually, I do know lemon oil's for hydrating - it's just that the Dunlop 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil bottle says it's for cleaning as well, like a 2-in-1 product. Which isn't strictly true.

Pretty s----y of Dunlop, actually.

Thanks very much for your advice, I'll follow it next time.

Anyone tried Gorgomyte?

Archived