Gibson Brands Forums

Action questions.

Hi,

I noticed that my action on my Gibson es137 got higher and wanted to lower it. But can't seem to move the two round things! ( no screwdriver on bridge)I saw you have to loosen the strings I loosed the first low 3 but still couldn't move it. If I loosen all 6 will I have to adjust the truss rod😖 also I don't want to use any tools because of the Finish.

Thanks!

You're OK to loosen all six strings at once. When you bring it back to pitch all will be the same except for what you have adjusted.

I usually use 10 flips of the tuning key on each string, that way after adjustments, with 10 flips back the other way, I'm CLOSE to pitch and then fine tune it from there.

The string tension should be slacked off for any adjustments to the truss rod, intonation saddles or bridge height.

When action, or specifically, string height, when it changes by itself, it's almost always due to a change in the neck, the truss rod.

A slight bow will cause the strings to be higher.

Don't know where you heard loosening all the strings will require a truss rod adjustment.

You're OK to loosen all six strings at once. When you bring it back to pitch all will be the same except for what you have adjusted.

I usually use 10 flips of the tuning key on each string, that way after adjustments, with 10 flips back the other way, I'm CLOSE to pitch and then fine tune it from there.

The string tension should be slacked off for any adjustments to the truss rod, intonation saddles or bridge height.

Thanks I loosend all six strings but still couldn't move them? Seems like their locked.

When action, or specifically, string height, when it changes by itself, it's almost always due to a change in the neck, the truss rod.

A slight bow will cause the strings to be higher.

Don't know where you heard loosening all the strings will require a truss rod adjustment.

Will it be ok to adjust the bridge for action instead of the truss rod?

Will it be ok to adjust the bridge for action instead of the truss rod?

Of corse it will.

You might not be able to get as low without buzzing, but then again you might.

You get the best, lowest action by having the truss rod adjustment in a good spot. But without seeing the guitar, I can't tell you (nobody, really) if it was better before or if it is better now. (That, based on the premise that the truss rod did change).

Archived