Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 1996 MIK Les Paul!

StRanger7032

I just got back after a 5 hour drive to grab this beauty from a Craigslist ad. Its a 1996, made in the Fine plant in Korea. Its in magnificent condition for a 19 year old guitar, with only a few tiny dings that can only be seen from up close. It was obviously cared for, as evidenced by the perfect setup, oiled fretboard, and polished frets.

The only things it needs are the correct cream-colored pickup rings, switch ring, and amber bell knobs. Some joker put a switch ring on it that says "holy" and "unholy". I was sure I was going to have to replace the mini pots and wiring, as they are notoriously bad on the Korean guitars. Amazingly enough, the pots don't make any scratchy sounds and the pickups sound great. I'm not changing anything in the electronics unless the mini pots go bad.

The color is kind of like honeyburst but more orange. I'm sure there's a name for it, but I don't recall. This one's a keeper!

IMG_1311_zpsoiyezlme.jpg

IMG_1310_zpsnpkmq0qr.jpg

IMG_1313_zpsor2tikoi.jpg

IMG_1312_zpsps76w8q9.jpg

After playing it for a few hours, I'm going to make a really bold statement: Its the single BEST sounding electric guitar I've EVER played! I have Gibsons, a USA Fender, and assorted others. The tone through a clean Fender amp with nothing else is just mind blowing! The dynamics between the neck and bridge pickups are the best I've ever experienced. Wow...just Wow [scared][thumbup]

Excellent! I have a MIK Les Paul Classic, in which I have redone the electronics. Added 500K pots and Gibson 490R and 500T pickups. As fine a guitar as I own, translucent red. Love it!

Congrats on yours!

Thanks! I was fully expecting to replace all the electronics, but after hearing the tone it produces, I don't want to touch anything. All its getting right now are the right knobs and trim rings, new strings, and a major polishing job. I have not pulled the pickups yet, but I have a suspicion that they might have been upgraded. If its producing the tone it does with stock Epi pickups, I'll be very impressed.

Thanks! I was fully expecting to replace all the electronics, but after hearing the tone it produces, I don't want to touch anything. All its getting right now are the right knobs and trim rings, new strings, and a major polishing job. I have not pulled the pickups yet, but I have a suspicion that they might have been upgraded. If its producing the tone it does with stock Epi pickups, I'll be very impressed.

As long as it makes the sounds you want it to make, all is good! Enjoy that guitar!

I pulled everything apart today, polished the body with two different grades of compound, and installed all the original style trim parts and knobs. I did verify that the pickups are original to the guitar. The only minor catastrophe I had was the poorly fitted bone nut that someone had installed breaking in half as I was sanding it down to fit properly. A little super glue got me back in action until my new TUSQ nut arrives. I like it much better now. Also, I found a 1996 Epiphone catalog online and confirmed that the color is "Translucent Amber Burst".

IMG_1314_zpspbehlgu4.jpg

IMG_1315_zpsmhervtky.jpg

[thumbup]

After playing it for a few hours, I'm going to make a really bold statement: Its the single BEST sounding electric guitar I've EVER played! I have Gibsons, a USA Fender, and assorted others. The tone through a clean Fender amp with nothing else is just mind blowing! The dynamics between the neck and bridge pickups are the best I've ever experienced. Wow...just Wow [scared][thumbup]

Well done, Sir!

[thumbup] Congrats from here, mate! [love][wub]=D>

Archived