Gibson Brands Forums

Is this lp legit?

Alex95

First thing, i'm no expert.

Second thing, the pictures are of a pretty poor quality.

Third thing, I don't see anything obvious to me that it is not legit.

Who is the seller? Someone on craigslist/ebay/etc?

Hey, is this lp legit? Never heard of it before. Should be a Standard Plus. Serialnr is 106700612. And how much would you pay for it?

First off I know this will not help unless the guitar is in your posestion. But maybe the seller can take some photos of what I describe and send them to you. The fake out there look very good on the outside and are hard to spot in photos. In good photos you could spot if the nut is cheap plastic along with the inlays.

There are a couple of ways to tell if it's a fake or not. From the pics. I can't see any issues. The first thing you can check is the truss rod. Take off the truss rod cover and check to see what kind of head it has on it. A gibson truss rod has a setup with a nut on it. If it has a truss rod with a allen head (it is a head were you insert the tool into it) then that is somewhat questionable. You can pull out one of the pickups and check to see what it says, Most fakes have epiphone pups in it and the wire is very thin and cheap. If you take off the back plat for the control nobs you can see if the copasitors are cheap or orange drop caps. Again the wire will look cheap and the solder joints will look horrible. Hope this helps...

From pics, I've got three concerns.

1) The pics are terrible - bad angles, bad lighting and bad focus.

2) Can't see the bridge clearly, but the posts concern me - they look a bit too large.

3) Can't see a whole lotta Plus in that top.

I'm not saying fake, but I'm concerned. The seller needs to get better pics to you - good size - good focus - no angles - well lit - no cut off parts. A nice set would include one straight overhead shot of the whole guitar, a shot of the whole front of the headstock, and a shot of the whole back of the headstock that includes the top end of the neck area behind the nut. An additional shot of the back of the body is sometimes helpful.

When you say you've never heard of it before what, exactly, do you mean? It's a Les Paul Standard. 'Plus' just means a slightly fancier top-figure.

As has been said the photo's are rubbish and it's impossible to say with 100% certainty but (FWIW) I think it looks legit. No alarm bells ringing here.

Gold hardware is unusual on a Standard but not unheard-of - especially if it's a limited-run model.

Value? Depends on many factors not least where you live; how many other used Standards are on the market at the same time and if anyone else is interested in buying it.

P.

Thanks for your responses. I live in Switzerland and the guitar was on a swiss craigslist similar site. What i meant with never heard of was the finish. I will ask for better photos and if it shouldn't be a fake, would ~1430$ be a good price?

Certainly, the guitar looks legit from the bad photos.

I don't think the pics are bad in the sense at least you can see what it is, but certainly, can't tell condition, and most of all, can NOT tell if it is genuine or a fake.

Having said that, for authenticating, there are a couple flags, to me anyway.

I don't remember this model/color combo, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. But what I "feel" like, is that it looks like some pieces, or every piece, may have been replaced. So, I wouldn't look at the hardware or pickups or pots to authenticate it.

It looks to me, also, that the "Standard" truss rod cover is aftermarket. I don't recall that script being used. (Again, doesn't mean they didn't). I know of other scripts for sure.

That don't make it fake, but it does mean it likely could be a different model, like "Traditional", "Classic", etc.

To me she seems to be a Les Paul Standard Plus 2008, brimstone burst limited run made in 2010. More detailed pictures should show it has a tinted pots cover and a locking Neutrik 1/4" jack. Looks legit to my eyes.

Guest Farnsbarns

mate,dont post your serial online.the counterfeiters use them

Really? Why? So easy to make up a valid serial why would they copy one?

Really? Why? So easy to make up a valid serial why would they copy one?

They do it for matching model and finish of the genuine guitar bearing that number. An inquiry about a guitar faked this way will result in a match. This makes informations like those on the Sweetwater website so valuable for counterfeiters.

Guest Farnsbarns

They do it for matching model and finish of the genuine guitar bearing that number. An inquiry about a guitar faked this way will result in a match. This makes informations like those on the Sweetwater website so valuable for counterfeiters.

I think that's why Gibson insist on photos of a guitar before they will comment. A serial number isn't enough as far as I'm aware?

I think that's why Gibson insist on photos of a guitar before they will comment. A serial number isn't enough as far as I'm aware?

To my knowledge you are right. On the other hand, I have heard there are potential sellers of counterfeits using pictures of a legit guitar. A crooked, deceitful game. [thumbdn]

Archived