Gibson Brands Forums

Trim discoloration

I am assuming you mean turning yellow as opposed to white.

That is a result of the finish turning more amber or yellow with time. ALL guitars will do this, and especially the more traditional nitro finish Gibson uses. You likely only notice it on the binding, but the whole finish is that way.

Even the binding itself, with no finish over it. will "age" with time.

It's not a bad thing. Just is. Some prefer it.

Anyway, there isn't much you can do about it. If you scrape the finish off, then you will have no finish at that edge and it will wear faster. Even if you scrape the top layer off, it will turn amberish again.

Hello RRashton, and welcome here.

Since you didn't provide pictures, I can't say what it's about exactly, but I guess it is ageing of hues due to light. Keeping guitars in closed cases will prevent that to a very high degree. A guitar on display can, depending on light conditions, age more in a few years or even months than e. g. my 1970's and 1980's guitars did through storing them in cases.

However, as long as finish or bindings don't become brittle, there is no reason to worry in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

post-71598-070384400 1428697134_thumb.jpegSorry I don't know what happened that stopped my picture from being posted so hopefully it works this time.( I missed the attach this file). The guitar is kept in its case. Its only been out of its case around 20 times since I purchased it. First owner and purchased in 2009. Looking at the guitar there a tiny edges between the edge banding and the body there is what looks to be remains of the polish that the factory used to do the final buffing. The color looks to close to the same as the staining of the edge banding.

Damn... [crying]

Sadly I have to admit you are correct, this is indeed the look of the polish used by Gibson. I have no idea how to overcome this on a budget. I think if I loved the guitar otherwise, I would leave it as it is.

Perhaps some of my Gibsons look slightly discoloured due to this effect in such a consistent manner that I didn't realize it. Some bindings have a greenish shade, others a salmon pinkish one which might come from the polish. I removed all the polish I couls if they had left something there, mostly around the routings of electric compartment covers.

After seeing yours, there perhaps are some surprises yet to come among my guitars... [rolleyes]

Sorry, but I don't "get it"? Maybe a better pic would help. What color is it exactly? If you have only had it out of the case 20 times in six years....that could be the problem....in my opinion. The dye from the case interior could be migrating to it. You should really let the guitar "get out" more. A little sunshine does a body (and guitar) good [smile]

I can't see anything in the pic.

But if the CAPMASTER is correct and it's polishing compound or wax on the surface, I would think a good guitar cleaner, like a "restore" type would get it off.

Be sure, of corse, unless you have experience with different products, get one that's made for guitars.

• 6 years later...
On 4/10/2015 at 10:27 AM, rrashton said:

I have a 2009 Les Paul Custom Its getting a discoloration in the white trim. Is there any way to remove this? Sorry pictures not that good

I couldn't see the picture but I know exactly what you are talking about.  I have a Les Paul Custom with the same issue.  I'm not sure what year it is,  maybe 2005- 2009?   Anywho,  why would they continue to use a resin or paint or whatever they use,  to color those trims when they know it isn't good?   I don't appreciate some of the responses like,  "it is what it is,  deal with it, thats the way they" are type of  mentality.   It's an awesome guitar!  I love the way it plays but I would prefer the guitar to keep well and age gracely.   Why don't they deal with the problem at hand?  Because people will keep shuffling out $3,500.00 plus for it the way it is.....  Mines for sale if anyone is interested?  I have the prestine case and guitar is excellent and the original docs that came with the guitar new.

On 4/10/2015 at 3:40 PM, capmaster said:

Damn... [crying]

Sadly I have to admit you are correct, this is indeed the look of the polish used by Gibson. I have no idea how to overcome this on a budget. I think if I loved the guitar otherwise, I would leave it as it is.

Perhaps some of my Gibsons look slightly discoloured due to this effect in such a consistent manner that I didn't realize it. Some bindings have a greenish shade, others a salmon pinkish one which might come from the polish. I removed all the polish I couls if they had left something there, mostly around the routings of electric compartment covers.

After seeing yours, there perhaps are some surprises yet to come among my guitars... [rolleyes]

It's a cost prohibitive fix,  if it's even fixable without destroying the guitar which I doubt is possible   That's why Gibson should spend the money and fix the issue moving forward so they next generations of Les Paul lovers get a better product.  If it's a problem on some of their High End instruments and customers are telling them they don't like it.    So fix it.  Just keeping it real bro's,,,, 

On 4/10/2015 at 6:51 PM, retrorod said:

Sorry, but I don't "get it"? Maybe a better pic would help. What color is it exactly? If you have only had it out of the case 20 times in six years....that could be the problem....in my opinion. The dye from the case interior could be migrating to it. You should really let the guitar "get out" more. A little sunshine does a body (and guitar) good [smile]

You don't get it?  The white trim on the guitar is totally yellow now.  Whats so hard to get?  Shitty materials used on the trim for white, period.  Whats wrong you can't take some critism about the instrument?  Jeez...

On 4/10/2015 at 3:21 PM, rrashton said:

post-71598-070384400 1428697134_thumb.jpegSorry I don't know what happened that stopped my picture from being posted so hopefully it works this time.( I missed the attach this file). The guitar is kept in its case. Its only been out of its case around 20 times since I purchased it. First owner and purchased in 2009. Looking at the guitar there a tiny edges between the edge banding and the body there is what looks to be remains of the polish that the factory used to do the final buffing. The color looks to close to the same as the staining of the edge banding.

Dude!  Mine is way more yellow than yours.....  I'll get a picture and show you.  I keep my on a guitar stand in temp controlled environment.  I play it regularly and wipe it down, polish it a few times a year keep fresh strings on it.

I didn't buy my guitar new so I guess it's possible it came that way from the factory,  but I always thought all Les Paul Customs came with black body (white or black pic guard)  white trim, ebony and pearl in-layed fretboard, and gold tuners?    Maybe mine was made with yellow trim,  I don't know for sure....   I love the guitar.  It's a lil heavy and some of the tuners are getting oxidized (no matter what I do)...  The electronics and dials all work like they are designed too.  without any static.  What type of music do you play and what strings do you like on the LP Custom?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I have never had a guitar that did not yellow with age. I have guitars with nitrocellulose, polyurethane, polyester, CV, who knows what else.. every finish changes with UV exposure

If your main gripe about your LP Custom is that the finish is not impervious to the sun, you can be pretty sure that you’ll be disappointed with whatever you buy next