Gibson Brands Forums

Zero fret nut oil.

Quick question, I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic with the Zero Fret Nut. I'm thinking about oiling my Zero fret nut. What should I use, I've never oiled the nuts on any of my guitars. The only oil I have at the moment is F-One oil for fretboards which is all natual and has no petrolium in it. Would that work or do I need a specific oil for the brass nut on my gibson?

High-pressure grease should do the trick, but I would be reluctant using it that close to wood. I also think it's not funny getting that stuff on fretting fingers.

A certain amount of stick-slip is a problem as old as guitars and nuts. The only way to overcome that would be a real zero fret with a nut only aligning strings, and, of course, double-locking systems. Nothing beats my Floyd Rose guitars for that.

I'd start with something "safe" like bore oil, I even use it on fretboards and find it much better than lemon. You can find it at any woodwind shop, they use it for sticky keys. I have a bottle of Selmer sitting here. It's safe as milk and won't rot like regular mineral oil. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

I was just curious because I've never oiled a nut before. I've people talking about oiling the nut on a strat so the strings slide better with the trembalo. I didn't know brass was self oiling. Good to know. As for mine, I don't have any burs or anything I was just curious as to if it was something I had to do or if it's just a preferance to some people. Thanks for the info everybody.

Brass is often considered self-lubricating, but this applies to smooth surfaces only.

A circular brass bearing works well with a circular axle of hardened steel without any oil or grease, but this is due to the uniformity of the parts.

As soon as there are edges, seizure will occur eventually and cause stick-slip. This is what happens when rotating a tuning knob alternatingly shows no effect due to sticking and causes a leap in pitch along with the dreaded "bling" sound due to slipping.

During 35 years I found no one who would happier with a brass nut than with one of any other material.

Here's what I also experienced over the years:

The best ways to avoid stick-slip are double ball-end systems and Floyd Rose locking nuts.

Second-best is a true zero fret.

Third-best is a Gibson TP-6 finetuning tailpiece - you will always find the "sweet spot" between "a pair of blings" within seconds. I wouldn't want to miss only one of my bunch of TP-6 stop bars.

OK, OK - I admit that a TP-6 combined with a MinE-Tune or G-Force system would be debatable... [scared]

• 1 month later...

If the nut is pinging you might try dressing out the slots on the headstock side with a needle file so there's no sharp edges bearing against the strings. You'll have to eliminate the ping or any sharp edges for the nut to work.

It's almost impossible to lubricate metal against metal in a static situation unless the oil/grease is heavy or under pressure. Oils depend on motion between the parts to lubricate. Grease is better but messy.

Good luck. This nut has some substantial design flaws and it probably isn't going to be around much longer. You guys are the guinea pigs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived