Gibson Brands Forums

G-Force tuner not turning the b string.

scottpaine_69

Here is the e-mail I sent to gibson about my problem (no e-mail back from gibson yet). That's why it may seem like its written oddly. Hope you can help me. I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. I bought it in December. The G-Force tuning system has worked perfect until today (4/10/15). This is about the 3rd or 4th string change on this guitar. The B string will not tune. The tuning key will not move during the string up/down mode while changing strings. It will not tune itself while the rest tune themselfs. I have to manually tune the b string. The High e string was not wanting to do the string up/down either although it eventually did. But the b string is nothing. The battery is charged, the gears in side work for the manual tuning. I need to know how to fix this as soon as possible. This is he only guitar I use. I need the g-force working because it's a time saver for the live shows. I don't have any autherized gibson dealers/repair places near me. The closest is 6 hours away. so taking it to a shop or sending you the guitar is not a plausible option for me. Please help with this issue. Sincerily, Wayne (Scott) VanCamp. hear is the new addition to my problem. My high e string is no longer doing the string up/down function like the b string. Both lights come on but no luck on them moving on there own. The high e string will still tune on its own but the b string I still have to do manually. I've taken the tuning key out and cleaned and checked the connections put them back making sure they were not to tight or loose and it didn't fix the problem. I would not of thought to do that if it wasn't for Searcy. I'm at a loss, The tuning key for the b string feels much harder to turn manualy than the others. Maybe there's something I'm missing. I hope there is because there are no servisable parts inside the tuning mechs. Any other sugestions? Thanks so far for what input I've already received.

Here is the e-mail I sent to gibson about my problem (no e-mail back from gibson yet). That's why it may seem like its written oddly. Hope you can help me. I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. I bought it in December. The G-Force tuning system has worked perfect until today (4/10/15). This is about the 3rd or 4th string change on this guitar. The B string will not tune. The tuning key will not move during the string up/down mode while changing strings. It will not tune itself while the rest tune themselfs. I have to manually tune the b string. The High e string was not wanting to do the string up/down either although it eventually did. But the b string is nothing. The battery is charged, the gears in side work for the manual tuning. I need to know how to fix this as soon as possible. This is he only guitar I use. I need the g-force working because it's a time saver for the live shows. I don't have any autherized gibson dealers/repair places near me. The closest is 6 hours away. so taking it to a shop or sending you the guitar is not a plausible option for me. Please help with this issue. Sincerily, Wayne (Scott) VanCamp.

If you just sent e-mail yesterday, it's the weekend. I would guess you'll have to at least wait till next week.

I have manual tuners....The don't go out of tune...always work....I always play in standard tuning....

I don't think you have gears in your tuner...I think they are servos....don't hold me to it though...I think I read that here...

edit: find sercys thread on the G-Force.....he knows all about them....

First off have you changed anything on the guitar? Is the nut maybe catching or pinching the B string a tad? Did you changed to heavier gauge strings? Be sure all fasteners holding the G force to the headstock are tightened. For kicks try a brand new battery. Those are the only quick fix ideas I have at the moment.

Hmm.. see this is one of my issues with a robo system.. They are SURELY going to break quicker than any manual tuner....

What happens in a few years when your battery wont charge any more and by that point you cant get any spares...?

Just don't like the idea of all that.. Rather tune it myself and never have to worry about those issues...

So tuning it manually... It must take ages with a 40:1 ratio?

First off have you changed anything on the guitar? Is the nut maybe catching or pinching the B string a tad? Did you changed to heavier gauge strings? Be sure all fasteners holding the G force to the headstock are tightened. For kicks try a brand new battery. Those are the only quick fix ideas I have at the moment.

I haven't changed anything on the guitar. The nut isn't the problem either. I put the same guage strings on that gibson had on it 9 to 46. I also use the same brand of strings every time (GHS Boomers). I also recalibrate the g-force after the string changes which I do once a month. The fasteners are tight and the battery is good. The other tuning keys move automaticaly and work just fine but the b string will not even do the string up/down mode. I can tune the b string manually with no issues so the inturnal mechanisim still works. The high e string was doing the same thing, just not all the time. The b string does it all the time. So I'm at a loss as well.

Here is the e-mail I sent to gibson about my problem (no e-mail back from gibson yet). That's why it may seem like its written oddly. Hope you can help me. I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. I bought it in December. The G-Force tuning system has worked perfect until today (4/10/15). This is about the 3rd or 4th string change on this guitar. The B string will not tune. The tuning key will not move during the string up/down mode while changing strings. It will not tune itself while the rest tune themselfs. I have to manually tune the b string. The High e string was not wanting to do the string up/down either although it eventually did. But the b string is nothing. The battery is charged, the gears in side work for the manual tuning. I need to know how to fix this as soon as possible. This is he only guitar I use. I need the g-force working because it's a time saver for the live shows. I don't have any autherized gibson dealers/repair places near me. The closest is 6 hours away. so taking it to a shop or sending you the guitar is not a plausible option for me. Please help with this issue. Sincerily, Wayne (Scott) VanCamp.

It seems clear to me that the servo motor isn't getting power from the CPU. Did you try cleaning and reseating these contacts like told you yesterday? Just remove the string, remove the bushing that holds the tuner on wipe down the contacts (they are spring loaded) and reinstall the tuner. Make sure not to over tighten the bushing. If it's a connection issue that might solve it.

9141d47d-22be-4711-952d-64f5aa0cc732_zpsjnsk3gyz.jpg

It seems clear to me that the servo motor isn't getting power from the CPU. Did you try cleaning and reseating these contacts like told you yesterday? Just remove the string, remove the bushing that holds the tuner on wipe down the contacts (they are spring loaded) and reinstall the tuner. Make sure not to over tighten the bushing. If it's a connection issue that might solve it.

9141d47d-22be-4711-952d-64f5aa0cc732_zpsjnsk3gyz.jpg

Thanks Searcy! I'll try that today. I've been out on a job for a couple of days. Here is one more thing that I noticed. When I manually tune the b string, the tuning key is a bit tighter to turn that the others. Do you know how to fix that if that's the issue? I will clean the connecters today. but if that's not the issue I'm at a loss. The fact that it turns very tight compared to the others makes me think mechanical. I can't find any warrenty paper work. Do you have any clue as to warrenty?

I did as Searcy suggested and cleaned the contact points but that still didn't fix the problem. All the lights still light up on my G-Force tuner but the b string won't tune itself now the high e string is starting to do the same thing. The factory reset (which was also on of gibsons suggestions as well) did NOT work, Thats not suprising since the only thing the b string does is light up and NOT turn.. When I turn the turner for the b string manually it is very tight when turning in both directions. The other tuning keys turn much easier.

... They are SURELY going to break quicker than any manual tuner....

What happens in a few years when your battery wont charge any more and by that point you cant get any spares...?

Hey Rabs - I got a 2008 Robot. Still all original - works great, still on the original battery and replacements are still available.

Just like any other "manual" Gibsons, problems can arise - turners or whatever.

@Scotty - now after you've cleared the electronics, seems there's probably an internal problem with the tuner mechanism.

Hey Rabs - I got a 2008 Robot. Still all original - works great, still on the original battery and replacements are still available.

Just like any other "manual" Gibsons, problems can arise - turners or whatever.

Yeah that is true I guess....

And I appreciate that for some people its a great device to have and works as it should...

Its just a personal thing for me.. its not what I want on my guitars.. Im no hater or anything like that.

And its good to hear that the battery works still after all this time... I just know that after a while (like all batteries) that it will stop accepting a charge... and that may take 10-15 years.. (like home cordless phones, those batteries last for years)... and that's when I wonder if Gibson will still be offering replacements.. Will they stick with this auto tuner forever or will they move on one day and change the technology or even abandon it all together...??

You would like to think that companies will make their technology backwards compatible, so if they do change the tech, at least they should keep using the same type and size of battery but I know that its just not always the case (just look at what Apple do)... sometimes to accommodate the new tech they have no choice.

Time will tell.. as always :)

.....so if they do change the tech, at least they should keep using the same type and size of battery but I know that its just not always the case (just look at what Apple do)... sometimes to accommodate the new tech they have no choice.

Time will tell.. as always :)

I have a feeling the "tech" that we will see in the future is companies that easily rebuild whatever batteries you have.

By mail, of corse.

Wow! We went from G-force to 3D printers.. Although that guitar did look cool.

The next thing I would try is swapping the B string tuners with the G string tuner to see if it's the tuner that's bad or the signal from the CPU.

I would also be on Gibsons a$$ about the warranty.

The next thing I would try is swapping the B string tuners with the G string tuner to see if it's the tuner that's bad or the signal from the CPU.

I would also be on Gibsons a$ about the warranty.

Thanks Searcy! I called Gibson and they guy on the phone said he would be sending me 3 treble side tuners and 1 bass side tuner. They should be here in 7 to 10 days. Although, the person who e-mailed me back said he would be sending the b and high e string tuners so I'm not sure what I'll be getting. I do think the servos are the problem and not the CPU. I geuss we will see in a week or so. I'm still all for the G-Force tuning system. It's quicker to change strings with them than regular tuning keys. Besides! If the G-Force completely fails or they don't make parts for them in 10 years, they will always be selling Grover tuning keys.

I been watching this thread, but really didn't have anything to add, just learning for my own info.

Good that Gibson is sending you some stuff. I also notice in a previous thread they sent you some new nuts.

I noticed something: I was trying to find out where you bought the guitar from, and you never mention taking any of these problems to your dealer. Why?

I mention, because I think the dealer is, and should be, your best and fastest option. Remember, you bought a NEW guitar, you paid a premium in doing so, and you PAID THE DEALER.

I'm sure Gibson cares about you and your guitar, but you should be able to walk or or drive down the street to solve a problem just as easy as it was to buy the guitar.

I been watching this thread, but really didn't have anything to add, just learning for my own info.

Good that Gibson is sending you some stuff. I also notice in a previous thread they sent you some new nuts.

I noticed something: I was trying to find out where you bought the guitar from, and you never mention taking any of these problems to your dealer. Why?

I mention, because I think the dealer is, and should be, your best and fastest option. Remember, you bought a NEW guitar, you paid a premium in doing so, and you PAID THE DEALER.

I'm sure Gibson cares about you and your guitar, but you should be able to walk or or drive down the street to solve a problem just as easy as it was to buy the guitar.

I bought the guitar online from zZounds.com on a 12 month payment plan. As for the nuts it was faster to get them from gibson since they were new pprototypes. and same thing for the g-force. Plus they do not work on guitars or carry replacement parts.They only have a 45 day return policy which has long past. Plus when I received the guitar there were a couple of blemishes on the new case (just cosmetic) so they gave me a $225.00 credit. I could have sent it back at the time or just take the credit and make the sale final. I kept the guitar because out of the choices they had it was the heaviest and had the best looking top. It feels, sounds and plays great and I didn't want to chance getting a replacement that didn't play, feel or sound as good as the one I have. Every guitar has a differant feel and tone no matter how slite it made a differance to me. They had nothing close to the weight of the one I chose (10lbs. 4oz.) or tops as nice. The closest in weight was between 8 and 9lbs. To me the heavier the guitar the better the tone (in most cases).

I bought the guitar online from zZounds.com on a 12 month payment plan. As for the nuts it was faster to get them from gibson since they were new pprototypes. and same thing for the g-force. Plus they do not work on guitars or carry replacement parts.They only have a 45 day return policy which has long past. Plus when I received the guitar there were a couple of blemishes on the new case (just cosmetic) so they gave me a $225.00 credit. I could have sent it back at the time or just take the credit and make the sale final. I kept the guitar because out of the choices they had it was the heaviest and had the best looking top. It feels, sounds and plays great and I didn't want to chance getting a replacement that didn't play, feel or sound as good as the one I have. Every guitar has a differant feel and tone no matter how slite it made a differance to me. They had nothing close to the weight of the one I chose (10lbs. 4oz.) or tops as nice. The closest in weight was between 8 and 9lbs. To me the heavier the guitar the better the tone (in most cases).

Git it.

Personally, I think we loose a lot when doing online vs trying and buying in person. Not just in being able to pick the guitar based on what we feel and hear, but also, in loosing the ability to get help and service from a dealer.

But if I was buying blind like that, I would buy by weight, as that's USUALLY the best indication of how a guitar will sound overall.

Well that sounds great!! You and I love them but Gibson has a hard sell with this concept. They are going to have to provide great support if they want guys like you and me to work the kinks out of it. Sounds like they are taking care of you. Be sure to let us know if this fixes your problem.

I'm still under warrenty if it's a year. I received the guitar on Dec. 4, 2014 so I'm only 4 months in. I've heard back from Gibson already and they are taking care of me with this situation. But I'm still not sure what I'm getting. the E-mail coraspondance was slow so I called today. The person I talked with on the phone said he would be sending me the 3 tuning keys for the treble side and 1 tuning key for the bass side just incase there would ever be a problem The E-mail I received back today said they were sending me the b string tuner (which is the main problem) and the high e string tuner because it's acting up as well. They should be here in 7 to 10 days so I'll keep you updated. Searcy I have a question for you. I asked if the tuning keys were labled for the treble and bass sides. He said no and that I would figure it out. I've only had the b tuner off and in all the pic. I've seen they all look the same. So how do I tell Which is the treble side and bass side? It may be obvios when I get them but for now I have no clue. That's if they do send me 4. I may just get 2. I guess I'll know in about 10 days..

Well that sounds great!! You and I love them but Gibson has a hard sell with this concept. They are going to have to provide great support is they want guys like you and me to work the kinkd out of it. Sounds like they are taking care of you. Be sure to let us know if this fixes your problem.

Searcy I have a question for you. I asked if the tuning keys were labled for the treble and bass sides. He said no and that I would figure it out. I've only had the b tuner off and in all the pic. I've seen they all look the same. So how do I tell Which is the treble side and bass side? It may be obvios when I get them but for now I have no clue. That's if they do send me 4. I may just get 2. I guess I'll know in about 10 days..

Archived