Gibson Brands Forums

News for KS Daddy!

onewilyfool

Oh that site is so freakishly out of date.... I actually let the domain name expire for a week and then grudgingly renewed it.

I see a facelift coming. Some of the guitars that I currently own will retain their own pages as they have for 15 years or so, but I would like to bring back photos and stories from the past that would make interesting reading. Assuming I still have the photos. And since we've long ago left the world of dialup, I may just retake photos and provide more than just 2 or 3 small crappy pics.

I have no idea. It's not like I have ads or make money from having that site, and who has their own website anymore anyways? Not much point, what with facebook and such... but it's there, so I may as well use it.

I've owned them off and on over the years because I've flipped guitars all my life. In 2007 I bought a rough sunburst Applause on ebay for $12.00. The bridge had come loose and was held down by 3 or 4 drywall screws, one or two of which split the bridge. It still had the yard sale price tag on it... for 25 cents.

25 cents.

I fixed the bridge, not very well cosmetically but functionally fine. Seems like there were other issues but I tackled them too. Once it was back together it found it's place hanging around the house as a grab-n-go guitar. It sounded good and played good. And yet they were pariahs then and they are even more so now.

It bothered me that something so innovative and utilitarian as a plywood topped aluminum necked bowl back could be viewed with such little regard. I found they were selling cheap on ebay so I just started tossing token bids on them and winning most on the cheap.

I have paid "more" for more desirable ones. I use the quotation marks because my definition of "more" is "over $100" for these. I have a new-old-stock one from 1976 with the plastic still on the guard and possibly the original strings, the 1000th Applause ever made, signed and dated by all the line workers and Bill Kaman, and even an Ovation Medallion, which might be viewed as a forerunner to the Applause. I also have some plastic tops with faux spruce overlays like the Fender FotoFlame guitars of the 90s. They never went into production because they couldn't get the glue to stick. I have the only ones in existence, which makes them worth.....practically nothing.

They are true pariahs in the guitar world and even Ovation fanatics refuse to acknowledge their place even as a footnote. Sad.

Archived