Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L5S

Dave F

It looks very nice indeed, a later L-5S with the 'harmonica' bridge and fine-tuning tailpiece; the earlier models of this guitar had a trapeze tailpiece. Google this - Gibson L5S images.

I have no idea how rare that burst is. Both the guitar top and the neck are 3 piece.

As the seller says, it is absolutely beautiful and looks like a fine example in good original condition.

I am in the UK; $3800 comes out at slightly under £2600(GBP) so by my standards that is an incredibly good price.

However there is one important detail; will you like playing it?

I'm no expert and have only ever played an L-5S on one occasion; to me it felt very different from a LP and most other solidbody guitars and might take some getting used to.

I think it was something to do with the height of the neck off the body, unlike a LP where the neck is set in....

Nonetheless for that price I'd buy it anyway if I had the money! A stunner!

It looks very nice indeed, a later L-5S with the 'harmonica' bridge and fine-tuning tailpiece; the earlier models of this guitar had a trapeze tailpiece. Google this - Gibson L5S images.

I have no idea how rare that burst is. Both the guitar top and the neck are 3 piece.

As the seller says, it is absolutely beautiful and looks like a fine example in good original condition.

I am in the UK; $3800 comes out at slightly under £2600(GBP) so by my standards that is an incredibly good price.

However there is one important detail; will you like playing it?

I'm no expert and have only ever played an L-5S on one occasion; to me it felt very different from a LP and most other solidbody guitars and might take some getting used to.

I think it was something to do with the height of the neck off the body, unlike a LP where the neck is set in....

Nonetheless for that price I'd buy it anyway if I had the money! A stunner!

Thanks for the info... (I'm the seller!) It is a beautiful guitar, a couple of professionals played it while I was getting the appraisals, they said it sounds great! I want to find someone who will appreciate it and play it!

Deb

I want to find someone who will appreciate it and play it!

ME! Me! Me! And me too!

If by some miracle I get spare 4-figure $$$$ in the next few weeks I'll be in touch....... [-o<

Hello!

As I said Deb, this is probably the most beautiful Gibson solid ever made.

The asking price for this model, in this condition is very fair.

This thread reminded me to buy a lottery ticket today. If You can wait till sunday... :D

Best wishes... Bence

They are different to a Les Paul.

Mainly, due to all-maple construction. The natural tonal properties of these instruments are brilliant! I love the way they sound.

Some say they are also neck-heavy, however the body is very comfortable. It's dimensions, and size makes it very pleasant to play.

The decorative article is very tasteful.

Superb!

Cheers... Bence

Attractive-looking guitar; looks like a BourbonBurst or TobaccoBurst sort of finish.

Not sure I could live with an all-Maple guitar, though; far too bright sounding!

These guitars had powerful humbuckers that balanced out the brightness of the body. Listen to the clean tone that Pat Martino is getting

starting at 2:16 on this youtube clip...

Although it's clean it has nice mids! He used to play his L5s

through Silverface Twin Reverbs, or Roland JC120 SS amps and they are known for being notoriously bright yet he still managed a great tone.

To tell you the truth I just bought this guitar:)

+1

I happen to have an L6S Reissue. All-maple, even the fretboard is baked-maple. 490/498 pickups. Still, it's not that much brighter than my LPs.

Some pickup combinations (it has a 6-way switch) even provide very dark, mellow sounds.

Cheers... Bence

• 2 weeks later...

Whoah! That looks stunning, just...stunning...in immaculate condition.....congrats, I am very envious. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

And what a box!

Did you listen to the clip? It pretty much debunks that these maple bodies L5s guitars are too bright, or lifeless, or sterile, which I have read on a bunch of guitar forums more times than I can count!

Did you listen to the clip? It pretty much debunks that these maple bodies L5s guitars are too bright, or lifeless, or sterile, which I have read on a bunch of guitar forums more times than I can count!

Dan,

Glad the guitar arrived safe and you are pleased with it! Thanks for sharing a sample of your music, it sounds great!!!

Deb

Dan,

Glad the guitar arrived safe and you are pleased with it! Thanks for sharing a sample of your music, it sounds great!!!

Deb

Hi Deb, I'm already bonding with it, and sometime this week I will make a proper soundclip for you, showing a little more of this guitars range:)

Thanks so much, Dan

Yeah - that's got plenty of nuts! Neck pickup?

Very nice indeed......

Ultra nice guitar and impressive delivery system. When I showed off the photo wifey noted the backgrounds, blankets, name it... but then I saw the gear. A good home! Anything else you can share about this recording? I hear string slap and other acoustic properties. Room mic at low volume? Which Vicky?

Congrats. Can't beat that price with a stick.

Ultra nice guitar and impressive delivery system. When I showed off the photo wifey noted the backgrounds, blankets, name it... but then I saw the gear. A good home! Anything else you can share about this recording? I hear string slap and other acoustic properties. Room mic at low volume? Which Vicky?

Congrats. Can't beat that price with a stick.

It was a low volume recording, the mic was 6 inches away from the speaker, but it was a bi-direction CLOUD JRS-34 ribbon microphone, and I was sitting fairly close to the Victoria Regal II with sports a 15" Eminence ceramic speaker. I was goosing the Regal a bit with a Mythical Overdrive which I use on the real low volume stuff. I do a lot of rehearsing in that room so the amp is always set up for rehearsing and recording. You can see my little room with the Victoria set up in the back with the Cloud microphone, and the Mythical Overdrive sitting on top (the red box).

I love having a lot of blankets around, I keep my amps under them, I use them to soften sound by hanging them in the room, and sometimes I just snuggle under them:) I recorded in that room yesterday with the National guitar sitting against the amp, using the Neumann-U89/Rode-Classic II acoustic guitar M/S mic setup pictured and I sang through the Blue Kiwi (but I didn't use the amp or the CLOUD).

post-71682-094200900 1430410959_thumb.jpg

Archived