Gibson Brands Forums

Certificate

Andy-Hep

Hi all, i have just purchased a 2002 Les Paul R8 in butterscotch.

The guitar came with the original certificate but it is in a plastic cover that i take is from the factory. i wanted to remove it and frame the certificate but cant get it out as its stuck on one side to the plastic wallet. I have called Gibson Europe customer service and got no satisfaction. They wont replace for used owners. im a bit disappointed with this as i had £3000 to spend and almost bought a class 5 western desert fade. Is there any way at all i can get a new one?

link for picture of certificate

http://s248.photobucket.com/user/andy-hep/slideshow/Gibson%202002%20Les%20Paul%20Custom%20Shop%20R8-2407

A lot of those got stuck to the plastic envelope. I had good success by removing as much of the loose plastic as possible and then slightly warming the portion that was stuck with warm air from a hair dryer and removing it slowly. Gibson does not issue replacement Certs. unless you are the original owner and have a bill of sale to prove it and you return the guitar to Nashville to have them inspect it. There is a micro chip in the neck that they can read and then cross reference it to the serial number in their records.

A lot of those got stuck to the plastic envelope. I had good success by removing as much of the loose plastic as possible and then slightly warming the portion that was stuck with warm air from a hair dryer and removing it slowly. Gibson does not issue replacement Certs. unless you are the original owner and have a bill of sale to prove it and you return the guitar to Nashville to have them inspect it. There is a micro chip in the neck that they can read and then cross reference it to the serial number in their records.

+1 But be careful. I tried the same thing with one of the Historic R7's I owned. I was vey careful heating it with a hair dryer. However, it had been inside the plastic sleeve for so ( or is it too) long, that the plastic was almost fused to the COA. I smoothed it out and left it in there. If that guitar plays as good as it looks, your concern about framing the Cert will disappear very quickly..!!!

Good luck and enjoy the new axe..!!

Archived