Gibson Brands Forums

belated NGD Riviera Custom P93

bacongrease

17139148211_2b77fae394.jpg

17139148121_fef00590b2.jpg

17139858825_6c5e03887a.jpg

I love the guitar. I prefer a solid bridge but it comes with the Bigsby that's that. Tomastik power brights (11's) added, otherwise stock. These strings are loud & clear. The guitar is loud and clear. The P93 neck position is novel tone for me; I also love the mid position for rhythm stuff.

I noticed the fret-ends are sharp & I had to lower the bridge about 1mm now it's perfect. I just leave the tremolo arm out of the way. I should also note that the first guitar that came in the mail was damaged at the neck/head so I returned it on Sweetwater's dime & they sent this second one. Thumbs up.

The late Hubert Sumlin (guitarist with Howlin' Wolf) liked his Riviera 93 Royale too!

jody-williams_390.jpg

msp_thumbup.gif

I'm presently plinking away on the wine red one during his evening's "interneting session"msp_thumbup.gif. My 2 sons have stated " Dad, that is the coolest looking and sounding guitar you have, please, always keep that one"...can't argue with them about that msp_smile.gifmsp_smile.gifmsp_smile.gif

I spent an hour on intonation--bridge adjustment. With the heavier gauge strings I had to flip saddles 4-6 because I ran out of real estate. That 1/16th made a difference.

The guitar played in tune (using a pedal tuner) at open strings & 12th frets but I discovered it was out of tune at 14 and up, which is why it took an hour. For those adjusting intonation at home I recommend checking other frets too, not just 12th.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats Bacongreese! Those wine red ones are my favorites-- I had one and let it get away. I swapped out the pickups for some expensive Alnico V's and realized I liked the stock ones better! Hind sight.... Hey Crust-- do you have a whole family of those, including each color? My second fav is the Gold top Royale! Nice!!!

17139148211_2b77fae394.jpg

17139148121_fef00590b2.jpg

17139858825_6c5e03887a.jpg

I love the guitar. I prefer a solid bridge but it comes with the Bigsby that's that. Tomastik power brights (11's) added, otherwise stock. These strings are loud & clear. The guitar is loud and clear. The P93 neck position is novel tone for me; I also love the mid position for rhythm stuff.

I noticed the fret-ends are sharp & I had to lower the bridge about 1mm now it's perfect. I just leave the tremolo arm out of the way. I should also note that the first guitar that came in the mail was damaged at the neck/head so I returned it on Sweetwater's dime & they sent this second one. Thumbs up.

A mighty fine looking Riviera Custom, bacongrease. I'll bet those P90s just rip. I LOVE P90s

they will be the pups in my next guitar. Had 'em in a Fender Modern Player Tele that was unfortunately unable to maintain tuning stability and returned and not replaced!

Congrats on your new axe, I'm sure you'll be playing the heck out of it! [thumbup]

Archived