Gibson Brands Forums

Buyer Beware!

Smurfbird

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Acoustic-Southern-Jumbo-True-Vintage-Vintage-Sunburst-Acoustic-Guitar/161669987188?_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3D246da7c0dace4ed08568f2214913a6b2%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D111614334111

Hopefully that link above works or this entire thread is RUINED.

It's someone selling a Southern Jumbo True Vintage with a nasty scratch that might be more than that, so as far as the seller is concerned, if you get it and it turns out braces are loose and the scratch is actually a major defect in the structural integrity of the guitar, well then you took our chance and you lost. But if it's just cosmetic, you might get yourself a deal.

I think we should all sell our guitars this way.

From the looks of the damage, my guess is the guitar was in the case and someone/something sat on the case and flexed the top down into the guitar and in turn flexed down the guitar top causing the unusual looking finish damage. I'm thinking it's just finish damage and not too expensive to repair. If the price doesn't get bid up too high I would go for it, but I already have a SJ TV.

Yea, don't know.

There is a side of me that says if you are going to sell something, you have it, you NOT check it out yourself, find out, and sell it for what it is?

Gonna sell something for real money and tell ME to guess?

There is another side of me that says this guy KNOWS it's just a finish issue, nothing wrong with it, but buyers being what they are, just feels the need to avoid the ones who would make up reasons to be unhappy.

Nah. Not for me. I need to feel the good vibes when spending real money for something real. Saving a few bucks? Not good enough vibes.

After a few bad burns…..I've come to this philosophy: "Play before pay, try before buy!" I will NEVER buy a guitar on line that doesn't have a return policy, PERIOD! This guy could take that guitar to any luthier, and he could tell him if braces are loose (or broken if someone sat on it!), if it is a crack that needs repair, etc. FOR FREE!!??? Why is he posting like this??? Again, buyer beware! I'm speculating that he knows MORE than he is posting, and covering his butt by giving this vague description of "maybe's"……how do some folks sleep at night? I would set aside $600 for possible repairs on this guitar, and for a few dollars more, you can get a used one in mint condition……so, is it worth it?

I got a response from the owner saying he/she was very confident it would go for more than I offered. Will be interesting to see what it sells at. I was willing to take a risk a bit above the initial listed price.

As Dirty Harry would say, "you've got to ask yourself one question: do I feel lucky?"

It would be one thing if you could inspect it. As is, "pig in a poke" best describes it.

After a few bad burns…..I've come to this philosophy: "Play before pay, try before buy!" I will NEVER buy a guitar on line that doesn't have a return policy, PERIOD! This guy could take that guitar to any luthier, and he could tell him if braces are loose (or broken if someone sat on it!), if it is a crack that needs repair, etc. FOR FREE!!??? Why is he posting like this??? Again, buyer beware! I'm speculating that he knows MORE than he is posting, and covering his butt by giving this vague description of "maybe's"……how do some folks sleep at night? I would set aside $600 for possible repairs on this guitar, and for a few dollars more, you can get a used one in mint condition……so, is it worth it?

Yup.

This is why I posted this link. I was annoyed that the seller would refuse to find out what the issues are -- or refuse to admit them -- and then think he can get off by disclosing nothing other than 'well, golly, something's up with this guitar." I think if he could have repaired it for a fair price and then sold it for a decent profit, he would've, But instead he figures this is the best way to make the most money on it. How some people sleep at night, indeed.

Here is my question to the seller.

"It looks to me like maybe the top seam open up and caused the lacquer to crack. Can you feel if the wood seam itself has separated or feel like it's risen ? Did you look inside with a mirror to see what you can see" ?

His reply,

"I have looked at it quite thoroughly and did not find evidence of the top splitting. But I am not going to guarantee that it is not cracked at all" !

He also states "the action is a little high". No closeups of the saddle or string height. It's attractive at the price, but if it needs work other than cosmetics you may invest a bunch more in a guitar that will always have stories. On the other hand, it could be a deal. Who wants to roll the dice??

He also states "the action is a little high". No closeups of the saddle or string height. It's attractive at the price, but if it needs work other than cosmetics you may invest a bunch more in a guitar that will always have stories. On the other hand, it could be a deal. Who wants to roll the dice??

Is it a deal?

How much is it worth?

Is it a deal?

How much is it worth?

There's a very similar custom shop SJ apparently in excellent condition on ebay now for $1850. No issues, according to the seller.

You pays your money, and you takes your choice.

Archived