Gibson Brands Forums

Electrical Problem?

KellerD24

New to the Forum. I bought a '14 SG Special back in November 2014. My first Gibson. I've been playing it daily since with no problems. Love the sound, the shorter neck, and the variety of tones. Played a gig last night and after one of the songs (maybe after 20 min of playing), I stopped getting sound. I checked my cable (16 ft Monster) and my amp (Acoustic B200) with another bass as well as a Les Paul guitar, and both worked fine. I played around with the tone knobs and the input jack, but to no avail. As I'm relatively new to the Gibson community, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Still under warranty but would like to know if it is a quick fix or if I should send it back. Thanks!

New to the Forum. I bought a '14 SG Special back in November 2014. My first Gibson. I've been playing it daily since with no problems. Love the sound, the shorter neck, and the variety of tones. Played a gig last night and after one of the songs (maybe after 20 min of playing), I stopped getting sound. I checked my cable (16 ft Monster) and my amp (Acoustic B200) with another bass as well as a Les Paul guitar, and both worked fine. I played around with the tone knobs and the input jack, but to no avail. As I'm relatively new to the Gibson community, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Still under warranty but would like to know if it is a quick fix or if I should send it back. Thanks!

Hello and Welcome! msp_biggrin.gif

Assuming the amp and cable are good, its probably a bad or broken connection, or a short. Take the control cavity plate off and look for any loose wires or bad solder connections on the pots and the jack. Don't be afraid to lightly wiggle the wires. Make sure no hot wires are touching anything that's grounded. The outer braid on each pickup wire and the jack wire is a ground - check to see if the braid is touching any hot connections on the pots or the jack. Plug in a cable and look at the jack - make sure the hot prong (the long one) isn't touching that braided wire when the cable is plugged in.

If you're uncomfortable with this, take it to a guitar shop; it should be a simple, quick, and inexpensive repair. Returning it to Gibson could be time-consuming.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

I agree with Kelvinator; assuming that all the other tech is working fine, then it's probably a wiring issue or broken component.

I've had broken pots occur on my Strat which cancelled all sound in a similar way.

First, thank you Kelvinator for your quick reply, and to everyone else for the feedback. Like I said, this is my first endeavor into the Gibson world and I feel right at home already. I took your advice and removed the control cavity plate to see if it could be a quick fix. All of the wires seemed pretty well attached to the pots, solid soldering job. I wiggled the wires around to see if anything would happen, but no luck. It looked like the rubber casing to one of the wires had completely melted off... So based on that I'm guessing it just short-circuited. Luckily there is a Gibson authorized repair guy in downtown Boston who has worked on the guitars of Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, The Clash, The Cars, etc. so I think I will be in good hands taking it to him to get it fixed under warranty.

Again, I cannot thank you all enough for your responses. I would have spent a ton of $ and time sending it back to the place I bought it from. It's good to know y'all are here and willing to help us newbies.

Cheers,

Devin

First, thank you Kelvinator for your quick reply, and to everyone else for the feedback. Like I said, this is my first endeavor into the Gibson world and I feel right at home already. I took your advice and removed the control cavity plate to see if it could be a quick fix. All of the wires seemed pretty well attached to the pots, solid soldering job. I wiggled the wires around to see if anything would happen, but no luck. It looked like the rubber casing to one of the wires had completely melted off... So based on that I'm guessing it just short-circuited. Luckily there is a Gibson authorized repair guy in downtown Boston who has worked on the guitars of Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, The Clash, The Cars, etc. so I think I will be in good hands taking it to him to get it fixed under warranty.

Again, I cannot thank you all enough for your responses. I would have spent a ton of $ and time sending it back to the place I bought it from. It's good to know y'all are here and willing to help us newbies.

Cheers,

Devin

It's good that you can take it to an authorized shop Devin - no worries theremsp_thumbup.gif. Again, let us know how you make out, and post some pictures of your Gibby when you get her back. ( We like pics!)

The Bass forum here is a small but friendly group; we try to help and support each other, and we always welcome newbies! You should also go to http://forum.gibson.com/ for a lot of different subjects. I've been given excellent advice in "Repair & Restoration" http://forum.gibson....d-restoration/. There are many very knowledgeable people here that are happy to help. msp_biggrin.gif

Maybe the issues you had on your 2014 SG, were why Gibson upgraded the 2015 SG's. There was some talk a few years ago about Monster Cables having thicker jacks, and causing the tip of the jack to push the bottom connection of the bass's output jack to push to far, causing a crack in it over time.

Archived