Gibson Brands Forums

Cs 336 fingerboard question

Joshk79

I purchased a 2009 cs336 off eBay, When I opened the case I noticed that the rosewood fingerboard was 2 toned, very dark and very lite. I'm not sure if this is a defect of something cool with character. Should I return it or do I have something special. The guitar sounds great and the body looks good, but for the price I'm not sure. Any insight or answers would help. Thankspost-71674-032250500 1429024150_thumb.jpgpost-71674-043582200 1429024152_thumb.jpgpost-71674-040032300 1429024151_thumb.jpg

post-71674-092167400 1429024153_thumb.jpg

In my opinion you have something very unique and identifiable. Unless there is something structurally wrong or it does not appeal to you, I would keep it. It is not the run-of-the-mill single brownnormal looking fretboard. I actually strive to find boards that are different. Other opinions will be different.

You have something that's awesome! [thumbup]

There's nothing wrong with the wood at all. Wood coloration varies, and rosewood is no exception. I've seen some very light rosewood on other maker's guitars as well. Traditionally/historically most makers went for the darkest and most consistent wood coloration they could find, so most of us are used to seeing things this way. With wood supplies getting tighter things have changed the last decade with guitar makers not being so picky about it.

I actually think it's great. I love to see the variation of natural wood grain and coloration. Taylor has started using streaked ebony on their fret boards instead of just using black ebony.

I've got the CS336's cousin the CS356. They're awesome guitars, so enjoy yours!!! [thumbup][thumbup]

In my opinion you have something very unique and identifiable. Unless there is something structurally wrong or it does not appeal to you, I would keep it. It is not the run-of-the-mill single brownnormal looking fretboard. I actually strive to find boards that are different. Other opinions will be different.

I agree with CR9

First of all, its definitley NOT Ebony. ( in reference to another comment)

Rosewood can come in a variety of light, dark or a combo of colors. And I'm speaking as an owner of over 50 Historic Les Pauls, ES's (330/335/336/339), Custom Shop Teles and Strats and a few vintage pieces.

As CR9 noted, you have a unique colored board. I happen to also like stuff that isn't cookie-cutter-same-as-all-the-other-guitars-out-there, guitars. I know Mr. CR9 from another forum and his knowledge, experience and opinion is right on and can be trusted.

I actually think it looks kind of cool. But you have to play it and like it. If it's appearance bothers you, ship it back. If the guitar speaks to you ( feel, tone, weight etc) and you're only worried about there being something "wrong" with the board (which I do not think there is) then by all means keep it and enjoy it.

Dave

I agree with CR9

First of all, its definitley NOT Ebony. ( in reference to another comment)

Rosewood can come in a variety of light, dark or a combo of colors. And I'm speaking as an owner of over 50 Historic Les Pauls, ES's (330/335/336/339), Custom Shop Teles and Strats and a few vintage pieces.

As CR9 noted, you have a unique colored board. I happen to also like stuff that isn't cookie-cutter-same-as-all-the-other-guitars-out-there, guitars. I know Mr. CR9 from another forum and his knowledge, experience and opinion is right on and can be trusted.

I actually think it looks kind of cool. But you have to play it and like it. If it's appearance bothers you, ship it back. If the guitar speaks to you ( feel, tone, weight etc) and you're only worried about there being something "wrong" with the board (which I do not think there is) then by all means keep it and enjoy it.

Dave

Thanks for the kind words Dave. You also have a great wealth of knowledge and we can always "take it to the bank" when you tell us something.

Dan

Archived