Gibson Brands Forums

Now I Know What All the Fuss Is About J45's...Picture Added

Joe M

In my bazillion years of buying and selling and playing guitars, more than a couple of J45's have passed through my hands, even a couple of special ones like a CS Koa back and sides model. None of them ever really did anything for me. Nice guitars, easy to play, but nothing exceptional. In another thread I posted, I talked about a great deal one of my local Gibson dealers made me on a J45 TV. I had played the guitar on and off over the last couple of months and always thought it sounded really good in the store. But I wasn't quite ready to drop the extra money on the guitar. Well, last week he made, as the Godfather said, an offer I couldn't refuse, so I brought it home. The strings were used up so I put a set of Elixir 80/20's on it and it just boomed. Yesterday I took it to my favorite guitar guy and he trimmed the saddle and tweeked the guitar to my liking. I can't put the thing down. He even made the comment that he had never heard a guitar with such big, boomy bass and clarity in the trebles. This just reinforced my love of the guitar. As I walked out of the shop, he said, man, that is a keeper.....amen to that.... [thumbup]

Thanks Sal, as you can see, the guitar came without a pickguard. It's in the case. Took me about 3 seconds of debate as to whether or not to put it on. Even though I'm mainly a strummer and flat picker, the technique I've developed keeps the pick away from the guitar. Sure didn't want to mess up that beautiful top with one fugly pickguard. [scared]

Now I've pretty much all the bases covered with this addition. Along with my HB TV and my J200 TV, I'm a happy camper. Oh, also have one of those Martin things, HD28V, if I need some rosewood..... [rolleyes]

Thanks Sal, as you can see, the guitar came without a pickguard. It's in the case. Took me about 3 seconds of debate as to whether or not to put it on. Even though I'm mainly a strummer and flat picker, the technique I've developed keeps the pick away from the guitar. Sure didn't want to mess up that beautiful top with one fugly pickguard. [scared]

Now I've pretty much all the bases covered with this addition. Along with my HB TV and my J200 TV, I'm a happy camper. Oh, also have one of those Martin things, HD28V, if I need some rosewood..... [rolleyes]

That's gorgeous Joe! [thumbup] I agree with you about leaving the pickguard off of that beautiful top - especially given your playing style there's no need to hide that juicy wood. Thanks for taking the time to post up a picture! Enjoy that tone machine! [love]

That quartet is 4 aces straight - Be happy.

And yes, the slope body-shape becomes extraordinary beautiful with a clean symmetric top.

In fact I just removed the non-original slightly loose guard on my 1953 45 a month ago. Took to the naphtha and dental floss routine.

It won't be back on. . .

Archived