Gibson Brands Forums

2002 Les Paul Special

Greg1967

...the Special doesn't have a maple top. Will that make a noticeable difference in the sound?

Not really - at least not as far as the audience is concerned.

In a direct back-to-back and all mahogany body will possibly sound slightly different from the normal LP fare but there are many things which will have far more influence on end-tone than the lack of a maple cap.

Playing style; pick attack; direct-to-amp or through pedals; amp tone settings; guitar tone settings; where the amp is placed in a room and what it sits on...etc...etc...

IMO, of course.

FWIW from that pair assuming both played as sweet as each other I, too, would choose the Special.

V. Nice.

P.

Not really - at least not as far as the audience is concerned.

In a direct back-to-back and all mahogany body will possibly sound slightly different from the normal LP fare but there are many things which will have far more influence on end-tone than the lack of a maple cap.

Playing style; pick attack; direct-to-amp or through pedals; amp tone settings; guitar tone settings; where the amp is placed in a room and what it sits on...etc...etc...

IMO, of course.

FWIW from that pair assuming both played as sweet as each other I, too, would choose the Special.

V. Nice.

P.

I have a couple of SG's. And the resonance, in my opinion, is superior to my Les Paul. Perhaps the lack of the maple cap is the most obvious reason. I suspect the LP Special would behave the same way. You think $700 is a pretty good deal for it?

Well I ended up getting a 2013 LP Future Tribute instead. The classic '57 and '57 plus pickups sold me. The previous owner took off the Steinberger gearless tuners and put on a set of Gotoh Magnum locking tuners instead. He also changed out the black trim for cream colored. Which I kind of like better.

Archived