Gibson Brands Forums

Opinion Poll: Les Paul Studio Raw Power

Berd

I have a deal firming up on a Les paul Studio Raw Power in platinum finish. These list as an MSRP of $1858 although they are a studio production line. It does have a Maple fretboard which is the draw for me: I already have an ebony board SG and several rosewoods, but Maple...with dots....HMMM.

Any opinions out there: who has one, played one, loved one, hated one, wants one....

Please and thanks.

Berd.

I know I want one..

The maple body & fretboard really make the treble bite on this Lester.

I played a natural finished one @ a pawn shop about a year ago & it was pretty darn nice but alas it was just overpriced for 2nd hand pawn shop gear.

They wanted the as new or higher price, It sold quickly BTW..

Good Luck in your Quest for Tone!!

gibson-raw-lp.jpg

Hello!

These were great guitars! I am not sure if that price is right, though.

Too bad they aren't in production for so long. The only recent non-CS Les Paul model I can recall with maple 'board, is the Zakk Wylde Vertigo. But, probably, it's out of production too.

Cheers... Bence

• 1 month later...

Love the L6S. I have an original SuperHumbucker out of a '78 L6S. I bought it when I was 17 from a guy who put a Dimarzio SD into it. I have never installed it. Carried it around for close to 40 years... Offers?

Hello!

...or best of both worlds: the L6S Reissue.

Thin and ergonomic like an SG, looks almost like an LP. ALL maple.

http://www2.gibson.c...on-USA/L6S.aspx

15665_L6S_Antique_Natural_125810351_1.jpg

Cheers... Bence

How much does the maple neck alter the expected tone from a Gibson guitar? I ask this because when it comes to Stratocasters I only purchase maple necks with alder bodies. They reach my expectations perfectly. When I pick up a Gibson guitar I expect less highs but more "body". More "mids". A fuller more robust tone. Do these maple neck models add anything to the tonal quality and, if so, do they do so without subtracting from my long time Gibson expectations? I wouldn't want a Gibson that sounds like a Fender. I'll buy a Fender for that. A bastard child of the two also holds no appeal to me. I love Gibson for what Gibson is and I love Fender for what Fender is. Is it possible to install a glued in solid maple neck to a Gibson body and still maintain Gibson's signature tone? I guess I'm wondering if the glued in neck pocket vs. a bolt on neck creates a dividing line between the two brands signature tones?

It strikes me as being a touch lighter than my GLP studio 50's tribute. My epiphone les Paul custom (ace Frehley signature) is much heavier.

1434294369[/url]' post='1666990']

I didnt know about these.

Is the all maple heavier than the regular mahogany?

I find it is hugely bright. I have a Gibson SG special 400 with the HSS set up and the raw power is brighter than the single coils or even the split coil humbuckers at the bridge. There is also a monster tone variation between rhythm and treble settings. I have not pulled the back to check if there are different caps on the tone pots but assuming stock it is amazing. Love it.

1434333938[/url]' post='1667094']

How much does the maple neck alter the expected tone from a Gibson guitar? I ask this because when it comes to Stratocasters I only purchase maple necks with alder bodies. They reach my expectations perfectly. When I pick up a Gibson guitar I expect less highs but more "body". More "mids". A fuller more robust tone. Do these maple neck models add anything to the tonal quality and, if so, do they do so without subtracting from my long time Gibson expectations? I wouldn't want a Gibson that sounds like a Fender. I'll buy a Fender for that. A bastard child of the two also holds no appeal to me. I love Gibson for what Gibson is and I love Fender for what Fender is. Is it possible to install a glued in solid maple neck to a Gibson body and still maintain Gibson's signature tone? I guess I'm wondering if the glued in neck pocket vs. a bolt on neck creates a dividing line between the two brands signature tones?

Archived