Gibson Brands Forums

weird guitar

user5150

hello there! this is my first time being on this forum and my first post. Im confused at the moment and looking for some help! I bought what I thought was an Epi ES 339 Pro about a year ago. It always made me curious why it only had one f-hole, but I never really took the time to look it up until last night when I was putting in on Ebay. I found out that it was refurbished by Musical Instrument Reclamation Center once i looked up the stock number. so now i realize how oblivious ive been because if you look at the bottom of the fingerboard you can see where the nano mag pickup used to live, it has the usb and stereo outputs, and only one f-hole. so it appears that it used to be an ES 339 Ultra, but now its a pro. the nano mag was replaced by a discrete piece of wood on the neck, the stereo output obviously doesnt work, and it has the coil tapping pickups like the pro does. I cant understand why anyone would do this to a guitar... but my question for you guys is, have you ever seen something like this before? and why would they do this in the first place? and i am trying to sell it but im not sure how to sell it since it isnt really a pro nor an ultra. any feedback greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry that happened. I have never bought a "refurb", no matter what they say. That's a guitar someone brought back because it sucks, and we can't sell things that suck. You got hosed, for lack of a better word, and that is just wrong. If I were you'd I'd bite down hard and move on, I don't know how you could possibly explain that guitar to any other buyer now that you know what is up with it.

Good luck. It sucks hard.

rct

hello there! this is my first time being on this forum and my first post. Im confused at the moment and looking for some help! I bought what I thought was an Epi ES 339 Pro about a year ago. It always made me curious why it only had one f-hole, but I never really took the time to look it up until last night when I was putting in on Ebay. I found out that it was refurbished by Musical Instrument Reclamation Center once i looked up the stock number. so now i realize how oblivious ive been because if you look at the bottom of the fingerboard you can see where the nano mag pickup used to live, it has the usb and stereo outputs, and only one f-hole. so it appears that it used to be an ES 339 Ultra, but now its a pro. the nano mag was replaced by a discrete piece of wood on the neck, the stereo output obviously doesnt work, and it has the coil tapping pickups like the pro does. I cant understand why anyone would do this to a guitar... but my question for you guys is, have you ever seen something like this before? and why would they do this in the first place? and i am trying to sell it but im not sure how to sell it since it isnt really a pro nor an ultra. any feedback greatly appreciated!

Maybe just give it away for free to someone you l know that could use a starter guitar. Keep your Good Guitar Karma intact and go get yourself something else.

I've owned several refurbished guitars and currently own two. I've also spoke personally with the vice president of MIRC. I think it's great that they get a second chance and not sent to the band saw. My guess is it came in with faulty electronics and was put back together in the coil tapping configuration. They may not have had the parts on hand to fix the stock electronics. Like the previous poster suggested sell it a little below new value and be honest.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ill probably just put it up a good percentage cheaper and hope to get a little money back for my next guitar. I guess this is just one of those learning experiences and ill just deal with it. thanks again!

It ain't a collectable. Never was.

As for pricing, it's worth what it's worth, based upon what it is. Not the badge or model name.

So, whatever a used Epi (or other China/Indonesia made) semi-hollow 339 type is that has this or that is selling for, that's likely what you will get.

I don't really think Epi's are priced on the used market because of the name on the headstock, they are priced because a playable, good looking guitar cost about XXX dollars.

I don't think you are going to take a hit, or sell it for more or less based on it's pedigree.

It ain't a collectable. Never was.

As for pricing, it's worth what it's worth, based upon what it is. Not the badge or model name.

So, whatever a used Epi (or other China/Indonesia made) semi-hollow 339 type is that has this or that is selling for, that's likely what you will get.

I don't really think Epi's are priced on the used market because of the name on the headstock, they are priced because a playable, good looking guitar cost about XXX dollars.

I don't think you are going to take a hit, or sell it for more or less based on it's pedigree.

I will agree that the guitar is a good enough for what it is. If it plays good and sounds good,It shouldn't make a difference. However, in my experience selling guitars, if the buyer can find something to gripe about to bring the price down, they will. Also... I've bought a good number of refurb guitars, and part of the appeal is that they sold a little cheaper. I've only had a real problem with one of them (dealer repair was very inadequate), but the rest have been peachy.

You can't hide the nature of the beast to try to preserve a better market price, because you run the risk of the buyer finding out and running through ebay/paypal arbitration... which never works well for the seller. This is why my advice was "be up front, and take a little bit of a hit".

I actually far prefer selling via craigslist (we also have some local facebook groups that work well), because you get to sit down with the buyer, let them run the guitar through it's paces, and see what they're buying. Even if it's refurb or has a minor issue of some sort, if they like the instrument, they're more likely to give you a fair price than someone buying the guitar sight unseen, and worrying about whether or not they're getting ripped off.

....so it appears that it used to be an ES 339 Ultra, but now its a pro.... and it has the coil tapping pickups like the pro does.

If everything looks and plays OK, I should think you could get right around the same as a used 339 pro refurb. Too bad it's a refurb - otherwise you might claim it as a "rare collectible," because it is weird. But yeah, describe it as it is, and make sure you disclose that it's a refurb. Apparently MIRC made the modification from the Ultra to the Pro. I'd still add that that makes it rather rare, but the refurb takes it out of the collectible category. Best of luck in your marketing!

You can't hide the nature of the beast to try to preserve a better market price, because you run the risk of the buyer finding out and running through ebay/paypal arbitration... which never works well for the seller. This is why my advice was "be up front, and take a little bit of a hit".

Of corse...ALWAYS be up front, about ANY guitar...actually, anything else for that matter.

In being up front about an Epi, refurbished or not, to me, means getting a fair guitar at a fair price (umm..GOOD fair, not poor).

To my knowledge, that's what people are paying for, what determines the price they go for. I certainly wouldn't give a hoot if it was a refurbished or not.

Archived