Gibson Brands Forums

Dwight Yoakom

Dave F

NICE find, Dave. You seem to have an uncanny ability of turning up some interesting rosewood guitars, of both the G and the M variety. Never played a Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce, but what's not to love?: basically a rosewood SJ with 50's pickguard, tulips, and a little tumbling dice. Take a pic or two, if you can. Good luck, and report back!

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-16%20at%206.22.06%20PM_zps93ryun9f.png

I played one for a week, and it was an awesome sounding and looking guitar. One of Gibson's very best. It's a Southern Jumbo really. I just learned on a long scale and felt cramped. I got it at Musician's Friend, so I returned it. I then ordered an Advanced Jumbo. If You like J-45's, You'll love The Deuce. Gibson got the dice wrong. I was a craps dealer on a cruise ship, so I knew that on dice, the six is always opposite the Ace. The way that they are displayed on the Pickguard is impossible with a real pair of dice.

AWESOME guitar, and I would buy it if the price is right. I don't think that You can buy a new one for under $2700 now. They were $1800 when I was Gibson shopping in 2002. If You get Your hands on a mint used Deuce for under $1800 I would buy it. You could get Your money back easily. Good Luck.

I'd been wondering - this is one of the finest Gibsons I have ever heard. listen with headphones if you can to Ray Wylie Hubbard - I think he borrowed this from somebody.

I watched that the other day Dan, IIRC he wouldn't fly with his own guitars and borrowed this one from Elizabeth Cook.

I watched that the other day Dan, IIRC he wouldn't fly with his own guitars and borrowed this one from Elizabeth Cook.

I think you are right! Here's the same guitar in different hands. Apologies on the doing choice, but that's the guitar !

I looked at the guitar yesterday and it was in great shape and sounded good.

Talked him down a little and brought it home.

Still need to go over it and get it set up.

Label says it's a limited edition #nn of 100 and has Dwight's autograph

I will take some pictures if it stops raining.

I looked at the guitar yesterday and it was in great shape and sounded good.

Talked him down a little and brought it home.

Still need to go over it and get it set up.

Label says it's a limited edition #nn of 100 and has Dwight's autograph

I will take some pictures if it stops raining.

Must've sounded great ! Can't wait to see the pics. Is it natural or sunburst?

I seen one of these on the Ohio Craigslist sight. But two states away from me. I love the look with the Dice. $1800 is a sweet deal. There is a vintage guitar dealer in town who has one listed at $3300.00. But I got my eye on a Sunburst J 160E first. I am sucker for sunburst.

Good luck.

Archived