Gibson Brands Forums

I Bought An Alvarez

ajay

Being a long time Dead Head (50 years!) I couldn't resist buying the "Flag" version of the Grateful Dead 50th Anniversary Guitar. The Flag has three skeletons sitting on a cannon, and two of them are playing J-50's and one a snare drum. It comes without a case and it sells for $399. I got 12% off from Musician's Friend, and I found a mint demo Alvarez case for $65 ( it's similar to a Gibson case, only Tan Tolex and Leather Trim and a really nice leather handle.

Anyhow, free shipping on both, so for $416 I was fully equipped. It has a Red Western Cedar Top and laminated Mahogany back and sides. It has scalloped top bracing very similar to an Advanced Jumbo, and the tone is awesome for an OM. I don't love the looks, but with bone saddle and a bone 1-3/4" nut, the playability is sweet. For the money, it is a LOT of guitar. The thing that I like the most is the tribute to Jerry. He was really a special person, and left us far too soon.

I'm putting a Bagg's soundhole pickup on, and I'm going to use it for open mike nights. With the awesome tone, and looks that no one would steal, it's the perfect combination for playing out. I can hardly wait until tomorrow to play it again. My Wife's sick in bed, so I'm showing her mercy by not playing, tonight. I love my Gibsons, but this little Alvarez is a pretty good deal for $400 with the case. I couldn't believe that the exact case that I needed was on eBay, used but in mint condition. The odds on that we're pretty long. I was going to pay more than $65 for a decent gig bag.

I don't expect much support here for my purchase, but in my mind it's the Dead, not Alvarez that made my decision. My Advanced Jumbos are still my favorite guitars by a long shot.9417476E-C121-45CF-AAAA-7D94481FB372.jpg

I don't expect any support here for my purchase, but in my mind it's the Dead, not Alvarez that made my decision. My Advanced Jumbos are still my favorite guitars by a long shot.

Dude, screw their support... and what other people think, If you dig it, rock it. I have seen these and I love the look. I have a sweet 74 Bird and four epiphones, but I play my beat up made in Indonesia $100 beater fender the most the last few months. Does it sound as good as my bird? No, but it is handy right by the couch and I buy what I like, and thanks for the review on this, may see if I can find one to play so I can check it out. .

Thanks everyone! I forgot how cool the people on this forum really are!D27AC903-4920-4524-A281-AA61E2686634.jpg583DFE32-EE23-42F5-B758-5B462EBD8D53.jpg

The guy that made a Pearl Inlayed Grateful Dead Truss Rod Cover for my Advanced Jumbo sells exotic wood buttons for the tuners on this Alvarez for $26 a set. I think I'll make a little upgrade for this git.

I agree that you should not worry about what others think..it is your money that buys it and you are the one who plays it so get what you like...Looks nice...I have a one hundred dollar Epiphone and a Taylor 114 that I like a lot and play most of the time due to various reasons..are they as nice as the Gibson j45 I have? no but I try to be more careful with the gibby's since they are more in cost..for example when I go to lessons each week I take the Taylor.every now and them the Gibson or Martin but not generally. Have fun with it, congrats

I have an Alverez Yairi baritone guitar. It's a rosewood beauty and it is awesome. I'm a huge fan of Baritone guitars and went to the Gibson Custom Shop and asked repeatedly if they would consider making me one. They declined and I'm so happy. I went to Paul at Music Villa and he found the Yairi for me. It is without question the best constructed guitar I own and I have Guild, Martin, and Gibson guitars as well as Fender electrics.

You have no reason to apologize you have a good guitar and all we ask here is that you play it for many happy years.

If anyone is going to the "Homecoming" I will let them play my Bari. It will turn your head. Just a side note...I also asked Gibson to make me a tenor guitar and they declined. Another good thing as I found a beautiful little Martin at a garage sale. It's amazing and I would recommend it to anyone that likes to go camping or wants to take one on vacation. It's small and easy to pack and they are a joy to play.

Thanks again Cool People. OK Hogeye. How come I never find Martins at garage sales? The only guitars that I ever see at garage sales are plastic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle guitars. I guess I'll just keep looking! It has to be good old hard diggin ' and persistence. You must have been thrilled!

Also, this artwork is from the cover of a live Dead release, "Dave's Picks #8. Not only do I like the artwork, with guitars that look to me like Gibson J-50's, the tone on this little folk guitar is surprisingly full and clear. For a new guitar this thing really sings out. I'm surprised that Gibson hasn't sued them for copying their Advanced, forward shifted bracing pattern, and the braces are hand scalloped. For a Chinese guitar, the fitting is perfect and the woods look really nice. All in all, a really pleasant surprise.EE790F78-8FDF-4A0D-9A1E-C68E1AEDA84B.jpg

So I was walking down the street with my lady and her two dogs. I looked up the street and could see a guitar shape sitting on the grass. I knew it was small so I thought it might be a uke. I handed over the leash and took off running. It was a tenor Martin with no bridge or tuners. I grabbed the guitar as the price tag said $60.00. I searched thru some boxes and found the bridge, tuners, and bridge pins. I told the guy I would give him $100.00 for the whole thing. He said $60.00 would be fine. We chatted for a few minutes and I left him with the $100.00. I thought that was sorta kinda fair price.

I had her bridge glued up by the evening and mounted the tuners. I strung it up the next day and have been having fun with it ever since. I have fossilized mammoth tusk bridge pins on it and that quadrupled it's value.

The moral is I have been looking for over 60 years and finally found something of worth. Don't stop now.

Hogeye, what year is it? i remember an interview with Lindsey Buckingham in "Guitar Player" I think. The interviewer met him at the recording studio, and Lindsey was walking around picking on a Martin Tenor. H was raving about the tone and how much fun it was tp play. And he paid a LOT for it! Great story!

Here's the Mahogany that they used for the back and sides on my "DeadHead" box. I got a plastic Pickguard from Musician's Friend. There is no adhesive. It is thin sheet vinyl that adheres to the top kind of magnetically. Better than nothing I guess. you can see it if you look closely.And my "DeadHead" Advanced Jumbo!EF9445B1-D644-4B69-8EAF-39EE5F004A94.jpg55E59C6E-D0D6-4286-81AA-81CF4262D1B4.jpgDE8F6D31-DBC9-4794-9F3F-D92728578477.jpg

Archived