Gibson Brands Forums

Home Recording

BluesKing777

Very nicely done. I just received Tom Feldmann's RJ DVD's - it is fantastic. My Johnson repertoire before getting them has been all of the stuff in A, like Kindhearted Woman, 32-20, Me and the Devil, etc. I actually learned 'Malted Milk' in E, based on the Clapton version from 'Unplugged'. With Feldmann, I'm going to delve into the open tunings and slide stuff, and am starting with 'Stones in My Passway'.

Thanks for the replies above....

That Feldman DVD should keep you busy for a couple of weeks, CountryBluesPicker!!!!!! [biggrin] Excellent stuff over at Stefan's!

My version above probably has the RJ lyrics and the rest is more to do with improvising around the tune like Lightning Hopkins or Lonnie Johnson or T-Bone Walker - none of those in particular, but the 'kind of thing' more than the original version.....basically stretching the Elixirs on the J45!

BluesKing777.

Another winner BK.J-45 sounds as good as the little 'uns in your capable blues mitts.Your voice has a bit of that high Skip James mystery quality.

I know you did Crow Jane a little while back but I can't remember you posting any of his open Dm tunes.I'd like to hear one of them sometime.

Thanks for the replies above....

That Feldman DVD should keep you busy for a couple of weeks, CountryBluesPicker!!!!!! [biggrin] Excellent stuff over at Stefan's!

My version above probably has the RJ lyrics and the rest is more to do with improvising around the tune like Lightning Hopkins or Lonnie Johnson or T-Bone Walker - none of those in particular, but the 'kind of thing' more than the original version.....basically stretching the Elixirs on the J45!

BluesKing777.

I would like to be able to be more improvisational like you often are with your recordings. I pretty much stick to the tunes the way I learned them as I don't have great improvisational chops...[sad]

Another winner BK.J-45 sounds as good as the little 'uns in your capable blues mitts.Your voice has a bit of that high Skip James mystery quality.

I know you did Crow Jane a little while back but I can't remember you posting any of his open Dm tunes.I'd like to hear one of them sometime.

FB has pegged me - I have worked on the 'roots of RJ' more than RJ tunes - the beauty of the RJ tunes, to me, is that each of his songs is influenced by a cast of 1000s...and can keep a country blues lover busy for a bit.... [biggrin]

I had the OM18v parked in Open Dm for ages! Can you believe I just logged on after changing the strings to Elixir PB Nanos to try it out...sensational, but now in a different tuning. I have the other OM, very very very spoiled I know, in DADGAD and the plan is to try the Elixir Nano 80/20s on that guitar later. It is but a mere twist of the G string from DADGAD to Open Dm (DADFAD) and Open D (DADF#AD), but worlds and worlds away sound wise.

Wordy reply that really says: No, I don't have anything presentable in the Skip format.... :mellow: I can sort of play all of them, but you ain't hearing them!

BluesKing777.

I would like to be able to be more improvisational like you often are with your recordings. I pretty much stick to the tunes the way I learned them as I don't have great improvisational chops...[sad]

Ha!

It can be a bit of a jump off a cliff to wing it, but it needs some practice too - a lot of ingredients really, but blues scales and 7th scales help, if not the playing, it will strengthen the fingers. And maybe some Lonnie Johnson...

I myself can't sound like RJ, so I will use what I can to get that feel! B)

BluesKing777.

Saturday morning. Sun shining. Cup of tea.

Perfect music for it.

You're a star BK

Thanks BBG...

I am a star, of course, just the drunk asleep in the chair peeing himself while I was playing sure didn't recognise that fact....he woke in fright, asked my friend for some coins to get a pie and bought a beer.... Which is a big, big achievement because nobody else had ever seen my friend's wallett and the word was he still had the first coin he ever earned superglued to his pocket......

All good! All fun!!!

BluesKing777.

I put the Elixir Nano plain jane PB 12s on the OM18v yesterday and later, my OM28 got the Elixir 80/20s. I put them both in DADGAD tuning to compare.

So this morning, I had the coffee and started with the OM18v for some DADGADing practice and it is great with those strings in that tuning...but......the OM28 rosewood/adi is just MADE for it better...............

As I was looking through a pile of lesson printouts, there was.......SKIP.......Oh Oh that was FB talking about that yesterday....so back to Open Dm the OM18v went, and WOW, wow, wow, if you still have that OM18v of yours, FB, get a little treat/religious experience for yourself and buy some Elixir plain PB 12s for it, plunk around to get them stretched and then head to Open Dm tuning!!!!!

I have been attempting the (appropriately named) Skip's "Devil Got My Woman" for years, but a huge help is the Stefan workshop lessons from T Feldman - a must and I would have been great to have years ago.....

Sensational, and Tom plays the tunes and lessons on an OM28 custom...Flamang, I think it is?:

http://www.guitarvideos.com/products/guitar-workshop-instructional-dvds/tguitar-of-skip-james

BluesKing777.

wow, wow, if you still have that OM18v of yours, FB, get a little treat/religious experience for yourself and buy some Elixir plain PB 12s for it, plunk around to get them stretched and then head to Open Dm tuning!!!!!

I have been attempting the (appropriately named) Skip's "Devil Got My Woman" for years, but a huge help is the Stefan workshop lessons from T Feldman - a must and I would have been great to have years ago.....

Sensational, and Tom plays the tunes and lessons on an OM28 custom...Flamang, I think it is?:

http://www.guitarvideos.com/products/guitar-workshop-instructional-dvds/tguitar-of-skip-james

BluesKing777.

Good advice Bk!Coincidently I've been mucking around with the the OM-18v in another variant of the open d/ dm / dadgad's. This one is is DADEAD.I've been learning a song by the Swedish songwriter..Tallest man on Earth (silly name but a good songwriter).

Curious to try Elixer's on it at the next change.

The rosewood guitar in that linked Tom Feldman clip just shines (his playing helps a smidgin too).

Good advice Bk!Coincidently I've been mucking around with the the OM-18v in another variant of the open d/ dm / dadgad's. This one is is DADEAD.I've been learning a song by the Swedish songwriter..Tallest man on Earth (silly name but a good songwriter).

Curious to try Elixer's on it at the next change.

The rosewood guitar in that linked Tom Feldman clip just shines (his playing helps a smidgin too).

Hijackin' my own thread, but important info!!! [tongue]

Thought I had better mention a thing or 2 if you haven't used the Elixirs before - I'm thinking you could try the PB Elixirs first, FB - beautiful sound on my OM18v, the 80/20s might be too bright and give you a shock:

http://www.elixirstrings.com/guitar-strings/phosphor-bronze-guitar-strings.html

Elixir 80/20s another time, if the ones above don't get you to retirement age....:

http://www.elixirstrings.com/guitar-strings/80-20-bronze-guitar-strings.html

And no help from 10000 pages of Interent Internet:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/123870/who-is-using-elixir-strings-on-their-martin#.VTQ4PNyUd8E

BluesKing777.

Archived